Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 60 ]  [ Total: 64 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Split station house. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 33

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2019 :  10:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark I was going for this definition.

Scabbing A Floor Joist or Framing Member. Scabbing is effective technique that allows you to add strength to and fix minor problems that are affecting floor joists. Scabbing involves taking piece of wood and fastening it over the problem area.

As in your, "scabbing the corners together".

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/31/2019 10:41:27 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2019 :  11:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Looking better with each step. We appear to have one of those kits at our club, assembled, and I can picture how large your building is.

Splicing, scabbing, cobbling together, whatever, it looks solid.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2019 :  12:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking Good Mark.

It's only make-believe

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2019 :  02:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks Frank - I knew what you meant - just made me laugh when I looked up the definition and got that!

Thanks Mike and Robert for your comments and for following along!

Well - 70mm of rain today - so not much outside work to be done!

I have been engineering again - trying to create an underground street scene/ hospital entrance. The order of doing things here will be crucial as I will not be able to scratch in the road and pavement and paint/ weather after the wall is in place. I also need to check with the existing structure next to it to make sure things line up.

OK - the site wont let me upload photos at present - so will try again in the morning.

More soon, cheers, mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2019 :  05:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi again.

Here is a photo showing the bridge beam installed to support the brickwork above.

And here is a close up showing the walls underneath. Both are just sitting in position at present.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2019 :  08:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

That support looks appropriately substantial.

Mike

CarterM999
Section Hand

Posted - 06/01/2019 :  10:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark.Have been enjoying your progress thru the 30 some pages, have not read all 30 yet. Question on page 1 your Goodrich building is set against a black background and I like this as compared to a sky blue color. Your thoughts on using the black ? Will you use this on your whole layout? Comments please.

ďIn seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou hast attained it, thou art a fool".

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2019 :  4:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments Mike and Carter.

Mike - it was another episode of rifling through many boxes looking for one (inside one of my many banana boxes) labelled 'bridge parts'. There were a couple of arched pieces that worked will, but I felt with the walls underneath, the bridge beam worked best. It was a bit of a job to cut out nicely in the brickwork for fitting. I figure there is some steel studs behind the bricks for support.

Carter - I used black card as a backdrop before I built my curved wall section (I have built 3 of these now - one on the original layout that morphed into the garage wall, one on the Tellynott corner display diorama, and most recently one on the new units here.) I just wanted something quick and easy to photograph the structure against (hence the black card). It was always my intention to paint the backdrop sky blue - and overall I like this. The matt black is my favourite colour to frame the layout - I used it on my Fault Lines layout and thought it worked very well. I will use this for the valance and fascia on the whole layout. When I finally move onto the Shadowlands mountain scenes I will have a go at painting a backdrop. Trolls Kirk will be a great influence here, as I believe his backdrops to be perfect for a model railroad - enough detail to look very natural, but not so much as to steal attention from the models.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  5:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well, a bit of progress to show. There has been a lot of time consuming fussing going on. There really is an order to do things in - or I will work myself into a corner!

The bottom section has been permanently fixed to the main structure. I made up a right hand side wall out of Slaters plasticard. I scribed some footpath pieces out of 1mm plastic and these have been glued under the main structure. The corners have all been taped, puttied and sanded. I sorted all 114 windows and doors and primed them ready for topcoat. I washed and primed the main structure and have the base coat of swirling colour on. Onto picking out some details soon.

Here are some pictures.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  6:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thatís an impressive edifice, especially with the different levels.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  7:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark. Looking good. Sure is a huge structure. I don't envy you with that many windows to do.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  8:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is looking good, Mark. Nice first swirled coat.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  9:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mark.

Which Slaters plasticard do you use?

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  11:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Mark!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  08:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

It's great to see someone modeling with more enthusiasm than me. Nice work.

Rich

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Split station house. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000