Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  2:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, nice looking plastic surgery on your new hospital facility!
Perhaps a future cut off finger tip being carried in on a stretcher would be a humorous touch.

Greg Shinnie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  6:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Mark you sure can twist those building panels around and come up with a creative and interesting project. Your efforts have not gone in vein.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  9:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Your efforts have not gone in vein.

In the same vein, thereís an artery going right under the hospital.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  9:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new office for Dr. Dan the bandage-man!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2019 :  06:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always, the group is keeping everyone in stitches. But I admire that none of your posted photos have been doctored :)

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2019 :  5:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your comments, guys. You're hilarious!

Bill and Carl - I've been looking at pictures online to get a few ideas. There are quite a few with similar window configurations. I also found a psychiatric hospital which is a dead ringer for Master Creations waxworks (which I have).

Rich- I'll be sure to post photos of my Chippy Hollow Hardware kitbash when I get there.

Michael - there has certainly been some surgical procedure going on with this one! Making internal corners out of pieces designed as external corners takes quite a bit of cutting and fitting - especially with all that positive detail which needs to be checked out one one of the walls.

Thanks Greg. Maybe I should write to Peter Jackson and see if Weta Workshops can make me up a whole finger. I could have it being craned into the hospital!

Thanks, Frank. I do spend quite a bit of time trying different configurations before I'm happy. Its a nice kit (2 kits) with some interesting detail.

I really like that Jerry. Sargent Dan the Creamoata man was very well known in NZ back in the day So I think Dr Dan the bandage man would get quite a few laughs! I'll have to see if I can find an appropriate picture to doctor and add to one of the walls.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  10:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark, I see you are making serious progress since my visit in February. You are a master at creating three-dimensional scenes with multiple elevations. The flow is always natural and the scenes are packed with detail. The hospital looks great! The pass through and the angles are perfect for what you are doing on the layout.

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  07:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Jim said!

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  2:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for stopping by, Jim and Tyson, and for your lovely comments!

As I said earlier, having two kits to work with just expands so much on what you can do with a large bash. I've been chipping away at this project trying to keep progress going while I'm busy with work. I'll take a couple more photos soon to upload - of the three story bottom section that I have started working on.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  5:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well - a bit of progress. With these big bashes you kind of get a few glory days - where you have a lot to show, and days where although you have put as much time in there is not much to be seen for your efforts!

To start with here are some shots of the three story sub assembly at the front. This small section was quite tricky. I had to cut and splice to smaller walls to get the correct height for the short return wall. I then had to pack to the correct thickness and attach a backing to the end of the main wall. This gave a new column at the right end of the main wall that sat proud the same distance as the other columns. (explained better in the photos). I then had to cut this wall horizontally and cut/ file the correct angle on the two pieces to splice together as nicely as possible for the 105 degree corner.

View from the back showing the packer.

View from the front showing the nice even positive detail of the column.

Here is a view from the right end. It shows the approximately 105 degree corner splice, as well as the hole cut in the wall for the road.

And here is a picture from the front showing the lower sub assembly held in position.

Here is picture from in front and above. You can see I have made up the smoke stack and added the parapet wall column caps. I tried the stack in various positions, but I think I'm happy with this position and angle. I have to remember there is a road under there somewhere, and in this position it would be out of the way.

Here is a close up of the cap details. A few of them had to be fabricated to fit my weird angles.

And of course - the back. There is a lot of work in here that will never be seen in the end. It does make the structure nice and strong and true.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  6:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work! Wish i had that kind of space :)

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  7:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill. - Yep - I'm pretty lucky, really. The plan is to eventually build a two bay barn for hay and the station wagon to park in, which will free up the second bay off the big barn for modelling (No great rush on this!) This will give me a space of 5.8 meters by 10 meters (19' x 33'). This will be more than enough for a lifetime of modelling - especially with the level of detail I am hoping to achieve. I do most of my structure building in the internal access double garage (Neil and I set up the trestle table facing the view of the garden out the back wall of the garage - which is floor to ceiling glass - yesterday. The English oaks are looking glorious in their autumnal colours). I also have the little kitchenette at the end of the barn which I use for painting. It has doors at both ends to get a good airflow, and a large roof overhang to the east so I can spray paint outside.

Neil went to an auction during the week and managed to score me 6 Jordans for Tellynott - at about $5 US each! I'm thinking the 1925 Ford panel truck could make a nice ambulance.

Cheers, Mark.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  7:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent execution Mark!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  7:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Scabbing those two buildings together was a successful operation. I know how long you sit there "engineering" the bash with no actual effort to show for it. But the result is beautiful.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  9:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl and Frank!

Frank - I wasn't familiar with the phrase 'scabbing together' I finally found the definition in an urban dictionary...

"assembled or repaired in a hurried, or half-assed manner. usually results in a repair that is ugly and visible"

?????

I hope you meant something different???
(there is a smile on my face)

Oh - and there is also a lot of very time consuming engineering that goes on in my head! A lot of failures are made in there!

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 05/30/2019 9:19:07 PM

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000