Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  09:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Mark!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  09:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark the next time you find yourself making a complicated roof or whatever, cut small strips of paper to fit the intricate areas and tape them together into a pattern.

BTW, it looks fantastic and I like the asymmetrical walls.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/24/2019 09:20:53 AM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  10:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, your newest residence looks like another winner!
I can see how that complicated roof could be a challenge to build.
Your method of figuring it all out appears to have worked well.

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  04:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the encouragement, guys.

Thanks, Rich. As you'll see I managed to get a bit more perspective this weekend.

Thanks for the compliment, Dave. I love structures too. I think its the composition of the city as a whole that I enjoy the most.

Thanks, Mike. In the bigger picture I think its all those ins and outs that really helps a scene come to life. It kind of hides the flat background.

Thanks, Carl. I've managed to get myself quite excited by the whole project again.

Thanks, Frank. I'm using that tip with cutting the corrugated iron.

Thanks, Greg. Its quite complex to get the roofing iron on too!

Well - I finally got around to something I've been waiting to do for ages! I finally decided my back was up to moving all those big wooden diorama boxes I had made for the move, so I could open them up. I then carefully moved all the dioramas and positioned them back on the layout - like they were 24 months ago. Of course they now have a new backdrop and ceiling - and I don't think the corner diorama has been in position on the layout for many years. There is still lots of finishing off to do, with many structures only partially finished, but at the same time it was very satisfying to see things back where they belong. Its got me quite excited.

I have been officially given the nod for being on the layout tour for our convention over Easter weekend in 2020. I've been considering the next 11 months and what I'm best to work on to present the layout as best as I can - as a work in progress - of course. There are jobs on my list like laying carpet tiles in the layout room and hanging a curtain (which will also double as a dust shield for the layout when not on display) below the layout to help frame it and hide any mess. Modelling wise I think I'm best to concentrate in finishing off the urban area pictured below and filling in the gap in between.

Starting at the left - it would be nice to get a background structure to the left of the creamoata building. I have another finished structure that sits in front of this and it would be nice to have the scene complete to this point.

Next we have the Jon H. Olson Chemical co complex and the Innes aerated water complex.
There are a lot of structures to finish off here, but also a lot of work has been done already. I have several boxes with other structures and details for this area.

Here is the gap I speak of. It is about 800mm (32") long. It would be great to get the area behind the track completed here - and to give one big sweeping panorama of finished urban scenery.

And here is the Tellynott corner diorama. A few structures to finish here. To the far right is the Edmonds complex. There are some other finished structures and structures underway to fit in front of here - through to my corner shops. Some small structures still to be found.

Lastly is my first glimpes of how deep the scene across the peninsula might be. You'll have to do a little imganeering(!!!) but I think eventually it will look great.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  06:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, What a treat to see this coming back together again! If it were mine I'd be really excited too!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  10:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Mark, no "emagineering" required to look at your masterpiece, it's right there.

You've created a feast for the eyes. Great balance and depth with the building placement.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  10:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, nice to see that you've unpacked and placed them in their new home!
They all look wonderful!
I would think getting tracks laid, and trains running would be the biggest priority.
Best of luck with all of it!

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  02:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill, Frank and Greg!

Bill, you're too kind! It was hard enough to find the will power to leave everything boxed up while I got the model room, benchwork, backdrop and ceiling finished. But to then have to wait a further 7 months because of my back... I actually put all the dioramas behind the layout in a really awkward place to make sure I wasn't tempted to try to lift them around too early!

Thanks, Frank! Great imagineering! I might try to get a small scene towards the back of the peninsula finished for the convention so that depth of scene can be seen.

Thanks, Greg! Yes - track is certainly up there. I spent some time moving the 'behind the Jon H. Olson' diorama in and out of position while I marked and cut the hole needed in the new backdrop for the track, which will eventually lead to Shadowlands, to go through. There is a set of curved points under the Aerated water structures. This track will re-pierce the backdrop further along, about a meter past the Tellynott milling co. It will climb a few centimeters higher and spurs will feed the tap and die co., and Graves elevators before exiting through the backdrop at the head of the peninsula to the new position of the spiral on the far side of the division wall between the two model rooms. I have been working on a revised layout plan which I will upload soon. I am also working on the historical story of Shadowlands and Tellynott. The history of Jacksons Bay makes for some interesting reading. I loved the quote that "Any women that had a barrel to catch rain water from her roof was said by her neighbours to be living the life of luxury!"

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  09:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

After seeing your work and touring several layouts over the weekend, Iím convinced that changes in elevation add a lot of interest to an urban scene when pulled off well like yours. Itís a joy watching your layout develop.

Backs are nothing to fool around with.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 05/13/2019 10:25:23 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  09:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Mark.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  10:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark.... Just popped in to see your latest progress......wow mate

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  6:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike, Carl and Mario!

Mike - the head work in working with the extra dimension of changes in elevation is also a lot of fun!

Been busy trying to sort out the area in front of the corner diorama. It is important to keep a straight view under the stone bridge as well as an angled view to see the river bending around the rocky terrain. It is also necessary to have a straight view up the road under the wooden bridge. I've built a few mock-ups and are trying different arrangements. I'm also consulting some pictures from some of my great urban inspirations - George Sellios, Gregg Wenzl and James Powell, among others, to see what I think has yielded the best results. I hadn't looked at James stuff for ages - certainly some great lessons in kit-mingling. I will upload some pictures when I'm a bit further along.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 05/15/2019 01:50:17 AM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  03:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Between working on my landscaping project I've been playing with mock-ups. Over the last couple of days I started looking a the gap in the background between the two scenes.

Here is a photo of my latest large kit-bash coming together. Its made from pieces of two Milwaukee beer and ale kits.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  07:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, looks like you're brewing up a good batch of buildings to fill the gap.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  08:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, so this must be the yeastern side of town.
No matter what direction were looking, it's all shaping up nicely!

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000