Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills Earls Oil Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives
Page: of 36

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  6:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
The photo I was referring to disappeared. It was weathered grey siding with a block wall at the base but I can't find it!
Dave

David Guffey

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  6:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl. I'm enjoying fleshing out this new expansion - and at least it is something I can do at the moment. It is also giving rise to some new ideas for the future expansion of Shadowlands at the back of this room and in the room next door.

Dave - maybe page two or three??? There is some grey weathered wood above block foundation in my 'Rugg-a-like' scratch-build. Otherwise I really don't know. I haven't posted any pictures and then removed them. Regardless - I hope you are enjoying the journey!

Cheers, Mark.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  11:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
That's the build I was referring to. I'm not sure how I was looking at the closeup at the bottom of page 1 and commented on the build on page 23 but regardless the Rugg -a-like is a great build!
Thanks, Dave

David Guffey

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  9:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You mentioned in my thread (North Coast Railroad) of some impending update photos to be posted. I've been watching for them.

Hope the healing has been coming along well. Nothing like bending over a layout to stretch out the back muscles after surgery.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/13/2019 10:12:33 AM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  12:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, David. And I've been very conscious of my words to you!

The back is coming right (fingers crossed) and its now 4 weeks post op. I've been going in the model room and looking, and I have just entered the 2019 challenge, so it shouldn't be too far away! Feeling close to being up to all the stretching that will be involved.

In the meantime, here is a photo of the corner diorama with poly roading and building platforms in place.

Cheers, Mark.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  08:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark ~ I'm just catching up with your thread again since real life has gotten in the way, and I hope you are recooperating well.
Going through your extensive rendition and planning arrangements using the mock-ups you made with the SRMW kits, I can see why most of you do mock-ups. Especially when you have height concerns and grading to follow, it is a must for proper viewing and exposure of key elements you wish to include. I, on the other hand, have never made a mock-up for any structure yet, and probably because in doing dioramas, versus a layout, that is the reason.
Dioramas with only on small group of buildings on them, not as many as you are showing, that is.

Thanks for your ideas about transforming the original designs of the kits. Sometimes that makes for a better looking structures rather than the way they ware meant to be. Waiting for another segment to follow.

Rich

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  09:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, I just love the depth of your scenery. It has great dimension.

Frank

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  10:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another visually interesting and multi-level project soon to come from you Mark!

Anxiously awaiting this....

Edited by - Carl B on 01/13/2019 10:22:52 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  10:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I assume at this stage you’ve drawn a lot of sketches to visualize what you’re after. Your base is a fairly complex model in itself, evocative of Escher without the impossible geometry.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  1:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the comments!

Rich - Yes, I think with complex scenery on multi levels I need to be able to visualize the scene before actual building. There have certainly been times where I felt things just didn't work and I had to go back to the drawing board.

Frank - thanks. That's the reason for going ahead with the peninsula. By viewing across the peninsula to the scenery on the far wall, the depth should look terrific - at least that is the plan!

Carl and Michael - first I need to clarify. The picture above is for my Tellynott corner diorama (already built). I had tried to explain on David's thread about how I build up my roads and building platforms with polystyrene, and told him to watch this thread as I was nearing the point of doing that process on the peninsula. With his gentle nudge I decided to upload the corner diorama picture. I hope to make some progress with poly roads and building platforms on the peninsula this week, and have two cans of expanding foam ready and waiting. I also got sidetracked building framework for my hidden yard with return loop under the peninsula, along with fixing for the fascia (which needed thought as to what the profile of the land at the edge of the peninsula would be).

Carl - the roading on the peninsula is also rather complex and very multi level, and with all those wonderful structures to scratch-build, will have to be visually interesting.

In answer to your question, Michael, There are many sketches for the proposed area, but actually not many by me. As the roading has been cut and pasted from google earth, I have been able to combine this plan view with scene sketches from 'The Compleat Cityscapes' book. Actually, I had spent so long pouring over the pictures in that book, that as I was splicing the google earth street views together I could already see many of the scenes in my head.

More very soon, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  12:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

well - after my little prod (thanks David) I've been making a bit of progress - in limited doses!

Firstly - here is a photo showing the timber work I have completed. This is fixing for the fascia, and road-bed for the hidden siding. I decided to put the hidden sidings at a much lower height, as this will work better with the future expansion of Shadowlands.

I also decided to put in a return loop.

Here is a picture of the 3-D landscape taking place. After mocking up all the roads in 2-D, I then mocked them all up in 3-D. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of this, and when building the road-bed, things got shunted around a bit. I know where everything goes, I just have no progress shots to show you. As well as building up the landforms, I need to remember to cut through the polystyrene at the layout section joints. It will mean that at some future time - way off in the future - only the very top layer will need to be cut to separate the layout sections for moving. I also need to consider accessibility, and am also making up removable 'chunks' as I go. Some parts near the edges will be fixed in place and I will work on the scenery in situ, but towards the center of the peninsula and against the walls of the backdrop, I will make dioramas that I can work on at the work-bench. Part of the road in the photo below is attached to the side of the block of polystyrene where 'Graves' is sitting, but not to the poly below. You can see the nail heads in the side of the road pieces pinning the road to the diorama as the glue sets.

To the left of this diorama is a section permanently attached to the layout. I will still make small bases for structures and mini-scenes, but the bulk of the scenery work will be done in situ.

And a view back the other way. You can see I have put a wye turnout in. This is to fit with some redesigning of Shadowlands. I'll go into this in more detail soon - with a updated track plan.

I have also started on the first structure for the peninsula on the challenge thread, and will post a couple of pictures as I move through with this.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  09:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"In situ", I haven't heard that term since my Art History days. Everyone in the Art Department had to minor in art history, some of it - boring. I just can't wait to see all that vertical scenery get worked on.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/17/2019 09:37:07 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  11:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wife (BFA oils) said she enjoyed the art history courses, except for trying to stay awake during the slide shows.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  12:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see well built, strong bench work. It looks like you gave yourself plenty of work space over the lower level. It's going to be fun watching you populate those slopes.

It's only make-believe

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  03:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for your comments Frank, Dave and railman.

Frank - yes - I'm really looking forward to getting vertical!

Railman - Yes - there will be good working space for the hidden sidings. Considering I hadn't planned on a return loop underneath, I was amazed how there was nothing in the way and how easy it was to get sensible fixing. I did have to upset my mocked up terrain in order to do the timber-work.

Well - a little progress among the limited yard-work that the back is up to. I had a moment today when I accidentally stepped in a hole. Fortunately I have been diligently doing my daily core strengthening exercises!

Well, I started at the other end of the peninsula and worked towards the middle. Here are the first three roads (and the little waterside lane) with the poly roads and terrain blocks glued in place and foamed in the gaps. I use a fast grab glue in a canister. I glue one day, and foam the next. the foam can be trimmed after a few hours using a sharp knife.

Here is a before...

...and after shot.

And a slightly different angle.

Moving forwards I'll show how the landscape is cut into dioramas of various shapes. These take quite a bit of headword to work out the best shapes to make them in order that later splicing will be as easy as possible.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Bar Mills Earls Oil Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000