Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark

You are making splendid progress on you benchwork. Some real Engineering work to hold everything in place while you get it attached. Thank you for sharing it with us.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  8:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

Thanks, John. Its good to be getting ever nearer to building and designing structures and scenes again!

Well - I managed to get a couple of horrid jobs out of the way yesterday and this morning, along with the hanging of the clouds on Friday morning, so I best bring you up to date.

I decided to use shade sail attachments to hang to clouds. With this sort of thing I seem to always find that no matter how long you spend standing in the hardware shop going through the project you are about to embark on in your head, you always either forget something or buy something that doesn't work. This was no exception! First was some big square washers to give extra support to the eyes I drilled and threaded through the ceiling battens. These I managed to drill all in the right place - which was an added bonus. Of course once you thread the eye through the new hole, gravity is not your friend! And I had to do these one at a time, using a piece of packing polystyrene as a prop from the top of the ladder to the eye to stop it falling out, and then clambering up into the roof space to add the washers and do up the nut - five times instead of once! I then went to thread the first D-shackle through the chain and found they were to big! And so a second trip to the hardware shop followed - this time to the big hardware shop much further away! Things then progressed more smoothly. I drilled holes in the top of the 2 by 1 running around the perimeter of the cloud and added eyes here. I cut the chain to length and added this and used the turnbuckles to pull the chain taut. A D-shackle (the new smaller version) was needed between the turnbuckle and the chain, and the chain and the eyes in the ceiling.

On Saturday morning I braved the roof space again, beefing up the hanging points. Two of the hanging points were very near a truss, so I just added a handy bracket, tek screwing into the ceiling batten and the truss. For the other three I added 4 by 2's on their edge each side of the CB, nailing into the side of the CB's and into the truss at each end.

This morning was caulking. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I do this job - I always hate it! I also filled all the screw holes and any non-connecting MDF seams.

I still need to beef up the hanging points on the cloud with an extra jack stud at each hanging point and lots of glue (although this is really overkill - but it will make me happy).

The cloud without any props.

The end of the cloud without any props.

A view from atop the ladder showing the supports. I decided I only needed to add one more to support the other sections - at the widest span over the engine shed. The curved corners all seemed to be quite self supporting.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  09:27:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark I always measure the difficulty of the project Iím doing by the number of trips I take to the hardware store to complete the job. Two hammers isnít bad, itís the norm for me.

Great job hanging the cloud and an interesting idea to hold the eyebolt in place. And Iím thinking Iíd beef up the hanging points too. A little scary looking.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/23/2018 09:28:18 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  09:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Very impressive. Youíre going to have a museum-quality installation when finished.

Our hobby does have its ups and downs.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  10:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wow!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  12:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  2:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phenomenal, Mark. True work of a craftsman!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  10:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments Frank, Mike Carl, Jerry and Mike. As always they are much appreciated and I'm glad to have you all along for the ride.

One of the advantages of the 'cloud' is that I will be able to attach a curtain to it to put the layout 'to bed' and help keep all that nasty dust away.

I hope to get onto some painting soon.

Cheers, Mark.

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  10:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, iím Still amazed, you have outdone yourself. If its not modules now its your layout, it is really coming together. I canít wait to so your next posting!

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2018 :  4:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks, Ralph! Its pleasing to see this part of the build nearing completion.

Unfortunately I managed to sprain my lumbar, and so haven't been able to do much of anything for a while! I'm on the mend now, but still a while away from finishing the painting of the model ceilings I was midway through (no - that's not how I injured myself).

I was able to spend a bit of time going through my book of Wellington sketches along with google earth views of the prototype. I copied pictures of maps based on my favourite scenes in the books, scaled them down and then cut out the streets. I then arranged these in different ways on a paper plan of the peninsula, considering views of the layout beyond. After coming up with something I liked, I then started arranging scenes and individual structures on a pencil plan, with page references from my books. There is still a way to go, but there is the starting of some modelling direction.

The top of the picture below is the high side of the hill, potentially with hidden storage tracks running its length underneath. The wiggly line following the curve of the bench-work is the water edge. This will also run the majority of the inside long side of the peninsula. There are many more structures to add yet! Yes - I cherry pick - but my philosophy is that if you cherry pick everything, it wont look out of place - that and I don't want to spend time building boring structures!

A couple of things came up while doing this - especially when standing in the model room with plan in hand.
Firstly, in order to be able to view the borrowed scenery behind, the hill needs to slope down from the viewing point on the outside part of the peninsula to the inside. As my track on the existing layout already travels up a grade as it moves counter clockwise, it really wont be possible to have ANY (visible) track on the peninsula! (At least not without compromising on the scenes I'm trying to recreate - which I'm not willing to do.) I'm actually quite excited about this - I'm such a rebel! A whole section of my layout without trains! I put the 'visible' in there as I see the long straight on the outside of the peninsula as a great place for hidden storage - especially for future operations when I move past Tellynott and onto Shadowlands. The hill will be quite steep, and so there will be quite a bit of available height under the scenery along this straight.
Secondly, I think it will be necessary to make some sort of fold down bench to stand on in order to be tall enough to look down hill into the scene.

Well, that's brought things up to date. I'm hoping to get some more done soon - although not having been able to do anything on the block, and it being spring in New Zealand, there is certainly plenty of non-modelling stuff to do!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 10/14/2018 10:49:00 PM

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/14/2018 :  9:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1. I say go for it! No (visible) track? Why not.

But let me throw a wrench in your works, perhaps. Ever been to Lisbon? Look on YouTube for videos of Lisbon's Tram 28. You'll see what I'm suggesting...heh heh heh...

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2018 :  10:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Galen.

Actually, Wellington had trams that no doubt ran on some pretty steep hills (maybe not quite as steep as the youtube clip I just watched). I'll have to get 'Around Wellington by tram' out of the library again. I just looked up online and found that lines were put in in 1904 on Aro Street and Tinakori Road - two of the roads depicted in my plan. Food for thought indeed!

Cheers, Mark.

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2018 :  10:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark

Your project and plan are coming along nicely. I enjoy the research and design part of the hobby as much as I do the building. I'm enjoying following along on your journey - thank you for sharing it with us.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  07:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark

A little rebellion is good every so often. Itís inspiring to witness a layout developed with clear vision and goals.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get better soon Mark- so you can start that amazing plan!

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000