Railroad Line Forums - My N scale Grande Valley Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Billett-man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 My N scale Grande Valley Railway
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Images From An Incredible N-Scale Layout
Page: of 17

Catt
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  1:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Somewhere online I have a thread on this layout.It has been quite sometime since I've updated it ,and to be honest I don't remember where it is.

Anyway the above picture is the start of a fairly extencive rebuild and this forum seems like a good place to start.(also have a thread on the North American Rail Aliance forum).

The minimum radius will be held to 15" with the standard set at 18".To give you an idea of the size of the layout,the wall in the picture is 9' followed by 10'6"x25'6"x10'6"x4'10".Maximum width will be at the end return loops with the pictured one is 48" the other one will be no more than 40"and possibly smaller.

Well that's enough for today hopefully more pics tomorrow.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  2:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its great to see some of your N scale stuff. Looking forward to seeing more. I did some google stuff but I was not able to find your posts for that on RR-Line. I did find this:

http://boylerwerx.0catch.com/gvrr.html

L&N nut
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  2:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Catt, I'm glad to see you are going to be posting updates on your layout here! If I recall correctly you model modern day which we don't have a lot of around here. We will be looking forward to your posts!

Mike

Catt
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  4:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,I hope I can keep track of this one.

Jon,I knew that was there because that is my personal site,which oviously needs some updating too.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  6:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just for fun I'll throw another one out there. Pretty sure that isn't it.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11024

Edited by - LandNnut on 02/24/2011 6:40:35 PM

Catt
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  9:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is my not so portable* portable N scale layout.It is more or less buried in our storage room.

*It is to big sizewise(30"x72") and weight wise to carry up the basement steps.I may strip that down to the bare essentials and build a bigger Z scale layout on it.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  11:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the simplicity of the design (of the part that you've shown so far), I really like high scenery to track ratios and yours looks about right to me. What sort of theme are you building on? How about era? Are you gonna show us more?

-Cody

Catt
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  08:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cody,at the ripe old age of 66 I am still a modern guy.The GVR is very much a modern day railroad that currently runs from Elkhart,Ind. north to Grand Rapids MI.

From that point (home offices are in GR) the railroad runs north/northwest to other points in MI.The road also runs in a easterly direction toi Port Huron/Sarnia.

The plan for this thread is to show the layout as it progresses through changes to a semi finished state.

There will be some before and after pics showing what was and what is.

Short history on the GVR.It has been around in one form or another (scale) since 1978.It has been HO 4 times,N 3 times,and is also currently in Z scale. The oldest locos are GP 9s and FP-7s.Currently the newest locos are rebuilt SD50 and 60 locos.

The GVR exchanges with CSX (in GR) CN,CP,BNSF,(connection to Chicago)also with NS (in Elkhart).

We haul grain,lumber.stone,sand,and autos.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  10:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good show, I'll be watching. I've been inspecting the CP GE AC4400CWs at the local hobby shop and watching them around Calgary, so I'm looking forward to seeing some modern building as well.
-Cody

Catt
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  4:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More pics.First one from a slightly different view point.Vehicles placed to give idea of street location (subject to change)

First corner,note coved backdrop.It is made of .060" styrene.

Around the corner.That retaining wall is roughly 16 actual feet long.It was longer.It will be again,but not as much as it was.

More pics after I get some right of way cleared.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  4:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Catt!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  8:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Catt, look what showed up in the yard today!

Mike

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  11:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agreed, looking good Catt. I like the look of that little transfer caboose in the second picture too.
-Cody

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  12:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Could you please tell us about the telephone? How do you use it? Also it seems to be of an unusual cast aluminum construction?
L&N nut
Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 02/27/2011 12:56:47 AM

Catt
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  11:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jon,the phone is just a push button phone disguized as a old time rotary phone.The housing is just plated plastic.

The phone is within easy reach when I am on the computer which is just the left of the photo.

If your interested in getting one,I got mine at Target.

Edited by - Catt on 02/27/2011 11:31:21 AM

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  11:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look good Jon..

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: Images From An Incredible N-Scale Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000