Railroad Line Forums - HVCC Pump House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 140 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: emmetshouse ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 HVCC Pump House
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Engine House - Challenge Project Topic Next Topic: Durango Sanding Tower - 10th Anniversary Challenge
Page: of 16

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  8:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starting the first structure for my Hill Valley Coke Company. Well .. have that shed I built .. which will go on the layout but that wasn't created specifically for the layout ... this is.

I found the plans for a Pump House in 'Railroad structure and estimates' pub 1918. The Pump House was on the M.St.P.&S.S.M.Ry. The plans indicate it was built from Concrete Blocks. I'm going to do it in brick .. specifically the distressed O scale brick from Rusty Stumps. Notice that they show the gasoline engine, exterior fuel tank and shaft to well.

-----

Since my Pump House will be right by the river, it will draw from that instead of a well. In addition since I plan to detail the interior I moved the door to the left and added a window on the front .. and duplicated the left side for the right. Just sitting on the ground would be boring I figure, so I'm having her on a tall foundation. The left side will actually be in the river with the intake at the base. The foundation will be of concrete .. hopefully showing the boards from the form. The front will have stairs down to a road. I will put something on the left side leading down to the intake .. prob a ladder and a door to access that area.

-----

I'm using Gatorfoam for this structure and this stuff is GREAT!! Love it! Got the Pump House glued up in the background .. in the foreground I'm building up the foundation.

-----

Here's where I evacuated a place for the foundation .. right beside the river

-----

Finally, here's the thing in position so I could get an idea of how it will look. Happy so far.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  8:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ed,
Neat building...bricks as in individual bricks or brick sheets...

Les

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  9:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by visman48

Ed,
Neat building...bricks as in individual bricks or brick sheets...

Les

Les, it's Rusty Stump's - " - O Scale Lightly Aged Common Brick Wall Sheet" ... http://www.rustystumps.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L1502

It's laser cut RC Board with adhesive backing

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  5:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed, your scene is keeping getting better and better. The dark, highly reflective blue of your river is excellent.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  5:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederick, thanks. That river is actually black except for brownish around the edges. I think the black and gloss is acting a little like a mirror and picking up the blue off of the backdrop. Kinda neat!

Oh. Made a few changes to the design for the pump house. Have a sluice gate for the intake .. idea being that if someone needs to get in there and fix something it would be nice to shut off the water. I added a door to access that area (pump basement??) .. hey .. having fun here :)

Edited by - eTraxx on 02/09/2011 5:42:46 PM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  6:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great design!! like the way you work these ideas out in it looks like sketch-up...

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  6:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Ed. Do you have the pro version of Sketchup? Drawing are very nice! Real nice scenery going down also!

Philip

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  6:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin, thanks. Yeah .. that's what I love about Sketchup .. I can run up a design, spin it in 3D, make changes .. and get a good idea of how it will look. It's much the same way that others do using foamcore but .. for me easier.

Philip, thanks also. Nope .. just got the cheapie free version. That photo is just a 2d export from Sketchup tweaked a bit in Paint Shop Pro. Gimmie a bit .. show you what's possible using free add ons (I like free) :)

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  7:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's a Rendering Engine you can download. Open Source, free and excellent called Kerkythea. Sketchup will export directly into it. You can download textures to your heart's content. The pic below is just created using the stock colors/textures in Sketchup and exported to Kerkythea .. (bumped up the rendering to Ray Tracing).

Just to give an example. Here's a Rusty Farm Truck as exported from Sketuchp ..

Then .. exported to Kerkythea and changed the paint on the fenders to a Ferrari Red texture I downloaded (again .. all free). I didn't change any of the other colors .. but you can see the possibilities ... with Sketchup (free) and Kerkythea (free) .. and a little time downloading textures and learning the programs ... you can pretty much equal the output of programs costing thousands.

Edited by - eTraxx on 02/09/2011 7:07:52 PM

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  8:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed, this is a great process to see what it will look like before it gets build.

Where did you get those need magnetic holders for building the walls.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  8:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Locoman

Ed, this is a great process to see what it will look like before it gets build.

Where did you get those need magnetic holders for building the walls.

Snap and Glue set. They work GREAT! Posted a review .. http://shortlinemodelers.com/reviews/snap-glue-set

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  8:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eTraxx

Stream looks great ... cool building design ... great placement.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  9:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ed,
I too like sketchup but not as good as you are. I was trained on Intergraph and a few other big CAD programs, I understand what its looking for and what I want...I will continue to get there with it...it cant be that bad I did full up animations and model building with Pro E.

Les

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  07:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Ed. It has been added to my watch list.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing renderings and modeling!

I thought it was the 495 version, I have the free version and continue stumbling around.

thanks,
Philip

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if it would be useful if there was a sub-forum somewhere dealing with 3D programs? One for Sketchup for example ppl could ask 'How to do xxx"

Anyhoo. Working on the foundation this morning trying to get it to look like concrete. Came out pretty well .. like usual .. the close-up pics with the camera shows me stuff that needs correcting like the stains in the pic need just the slightest blending at the top.

Thinking that access door there would prob be metal. Need to work on the gate for the intake. In reality .. would be at best probably just a door that slides up and down by hand as there wouldn't be any pressure .. BUT .. it would be so COOL to build a little mechanism with a hand-wheel.

Found this drawing of a sluice gate online which is sweet. I could have the hand-wheel up level with the upper level with a simple walkway to it from the door. (not really concerned with 'reality' .. it's vastly overrated. I like what 'looks cool' instead!)

Page: of 16 Previous Topic: Engine House - Challenge Project Topic Next Topic: Durango Sanding Tower - 10th Anniversary Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000