Railroad Line Forums - Test Fire For OPS.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 137 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Test Fire For OPS.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Coast Line RR vol. 3 Topic Next Topic: On30 Buffers???  

Keith gamble
New Hire

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  9:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keith gamble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings, The other day a friend stopped by with some On30 locos to run on the railroad to debug any issues before I proceded with op session plans. My friend ran Bachmann 2-6-0 moguls on the road with modified center drives that had the flanges removed to adapt to sharper curves. We had a problem with derailments and loss of electrical contact during the test. I know that some of the problems were caused by out of gauge track and point rail closure issue. those problems were delt with as the test went on. The funny thing is that my Bachmann articulated locos sailed right through the same turnouts with no problem.
I do know the 2-6-0 mogul has deep flanges, but are there any other issues I should be aware of?
It seemed that the loco had sort of a rigid frame and may pose a problem on some hand-layed track. Just for the info , I am using code 83 on the layout and everything is hand-layed. Could the Moguls be tempermentally sensitive? Anyway, I am fine tuning all the track and going to test again.If anyone can shed some light on the subject, I would appriciate it.

thanks Keith Gamble

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  11:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keith, it would be helpful to know what your minimum radius is...I have a 2-6-0 that has no problem with 17" radius on my layout, I was able to run it on tighter radius than that if memory serves.

As for blind drivers, they should not cause any turnout issues as long as the tires are perfectly smooth. Are the frogs wired on the turnouts, if not you may have some stalling. The 2-6-0 tender doesn't pick up current, just sits there looking dumb! I don't recall if the loco picks up current on all six drivers, or just the lead and trailing axles. If it does, and the nickel silver plating was removed on the center driver when the flanges were turned down, that takes you down to at best 4 points of contact, usually that will be 3 (ever notice a four-legged table is harder to level than a three-legged tripod?). Usually, an 0-4-0 with unsprung axles will only be in contact on three of the four wheels, unless the track is PERFECTLY level. If you add a center axle that doesn't pick up power, you actually have a bigger problem picking up current than you would with a 2-axle loco. The center axle can cause the lead or trailing axle to ride just above the rail on uneven track or grade transitions, bringing you down to one axle of electrical pickup.

I haven't compared the profile of the flanges, but as the 2-6-0 was Bachmann's first On30 offering, perhaps that's contributing to your problems. Through careful testing, you can isolate certain track problems with certain locomotives and solve them one by one. John Armstrong (of track planning fame) called it 'stomping the gremlins to death', a great term that has stuck with me over the years. Good luck with those gremlins.

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 02/08/2011 12:04:44 AM

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  06:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keith-

You may need to check trackwork problem spots with a small LED flashlight that will allow you to shine light across the track at rail height. If light shows going between the bottom of the rail and the top of the crosstie, you need to figure out what the rail is actually resting on and remove it. Dental picks are good for this. Also, make sure there aren't any abrupt rises in the rails at your rail joiners.

Good luck. My handlaid track runs great now, but it took a lot of tuning to get it that way. The fact that the Mogul derails is actually good in a weird way ... it will let you know where the adjustments need to be made.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  10:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keith, Mark gives sage advice! I have been working out the various kinks in my trackwork (a combination of flextrack and handlaid) for several days now, and I'm finding all sorts of little problems that require a little tweaking for smooth DCC/Sound operation. I found that the rail ends in flextrack can sometimes be bent slightly "downward" creating a little valley that limits contact. I also found areas where one rail had "set" in the ballast slightly higher than the other rail causing short wheel base locos to break contact...a little rewetting with alcohol and a gentle "lift" with pliars was all that was needed. Find your crankyest short wheel based engine and take your time....as they say...."and all will be revealed!!"....sully

Keith gamble
New Hire

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  2:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keith gamble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, Ill keep testing and tuning, By the way, the radius of the typical curve is from 23" to 32".

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  3:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Keith,

Apropos to minimum radii for the Bachmann Mogul, mine makes it around my 15" wye....albeit DEAD SLOWLY......

Time is the Gauge of Existence

HarryHotspur
New Hire

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  10:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My On30 Bachmann Mogul 2-6-0 runs fine on 15" radius curves, even at higher speeds than you'd want to run it. It also handles 15" radius S-curves just fine, but the cars it is towing don't fare too well. :-)

Previous Topic: Coast Line RR vol. 3 Topic Next Topic: On30 Buffers???  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000