Railroad Line Forums - Substitute for "Blacken-It" ?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: nevadablue ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Substitute for "Blacken-It" ?
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Some of my interiors Topic Next Topic: Scuffed up and rusty (two new box cars)
Page: of 2

480Fan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  06:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a substitute for the product "Blacken-It"? The LHS has a 2 ounce bottle for about 5 bucks. I figured since I am building the Sierra West Sawmill Machinery I would need quite a few bottles. Any help would be appreciated.
Tony in Tampa

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  08:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I think that a gun bluing solution would also work, but I'm not sure it would be cheaper.

MicroMark has Backen-It in 4oz bottles for $8.95. I've had mine for years and am still on the first bottle. You can use and re-use the stuff for quite a while if you keep the bottle sealed well. If not, it evaporates. I decant a few ounces into a small glass container to do the blackening. When you are done, leave it sit for a while and the particulates will drop out. Then carefully decant the good blue liquid back into the bottle. Actually, I replaced the original plastic bottle with a glass bottle some time ago. I think it has a better seal.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  08:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried an enamel paint marker from Floquil? They say they mark on anything, including metal/and or brass track. I am going to try using one on some brass piping to my boiler.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  11:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reuse blacken-it. I goes a lot further that way.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  12:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony:

If you can find a jewelry materials supplier there in town you can buy "pewter blacken" or some such name. Works better than anything else... it is just really strong. It's what I use and it is really fast.

Brett

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just googled and found this.

http://www.jaxchemicals.com/jaxshop/shopexd.asp?id=61

Read the shipping information before jumping in on this. IF it's 'hazardous' hang on.

Edited by - k9wrangler on 01/17/2011 1:42:12 PM

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  4:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eastwood auto restorations has a metal blackening solution. Comes in pints for $17.99.
I have used it for several years and it works really good.

www.eastwood.com

John Johnson
"I'm right 98% of the time. Who cares about the other 3%."

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  9:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a product called Brass Black, 3 oz. bottle is $6.95 Blakens brass and copper

www.knifekits.com

search for it in advanced search on that page.

Your better gunshops may carry it too.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  9:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Blacken-it is not a paint. It creates a chemical reaction that if left in long enough will go deep into the metal. I just read an article on blackening metal and it suggested diluting what ever chemical is used to a 50-50 mixture. The metal can sit in the solution longer and this allows the reaction to go deeper into the metal. I used this on my current skidder build. Instead of having the blacken-it cause the fuzzy build up and flake off, I am getting a nice black on brass rod and tube as well as the brass castings. It takes about 30 minutes in the diluted mix. It's still an acid and the small soft metal castings still blacken quickly. I left a casting in the mix accidentally and it dissolved after 30 minutes. Bruce is right about reuse.
I've done 3 skidder builds with the same bottle. I just let the gunk settle and siphon off the blue.
Mike M

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  10:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
economics.....

I use the dangerous Ferric chloride, It get the job done quickly. I noticed blacken-it scales and flakes but is not nearly as agressive as the FC.

The ferric chloride may be calmed down/controlled by placing a baseball size chunk in the bowl to tone it down before dipping your pieces. Follow all the safety rules to a T
I don't approve this message

Philip

Keith gamble
New Hire

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  12:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keith gamble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you considered Isopropyl alchohol and india ink mixture? It is inexpensive to make and it will probably do the trick. If you are not satisfied with it. then you have a useful weathering solution. if it is not dark enough then add more ink. good luck!

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  10:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Philip
did you see what I wrote above you about the flaking problem?
Mike M

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  11:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by closetguy

Philip
did you see what I wrote above you about the flaking problem?
Mike M

yes, I'll try that. Are you diluting with water? Do you have an example of the brass? Your other thread shows the brass cross pipe looking like brass, then a few photos later its taken on a nice patina look. Did you re dip it?

Philip

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  3:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Phillip
The first pic, shows the brass un-dipped. The following pic's show the brass sanded and than dipped for 30 minutes in a reused solution of blacken-it. If you scrape the brass with something sharp,it will show bright brass again. However, it is not a fuzzy finish and it will not flake off. This is the first time I've gotten blacken-it to work properly. IACC glue adheres to this finish. The 50-50 mixture is supposed to be done with distilled water. The brass tube and rod are good old fashioned brass stock that I guess has a clear coat on it. The sanding with 220 aluminum oxide paper removes the clear finish. The 50-50 will still darken pot metal castings really fast. I found also that i need to wash everything to remove grease from the surface. The blacken-it does not like grease and you get bare spots.
Mike M

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  3:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keith
Blacken-it is not a stain. It actually changes the surface color chemically.
Mike M

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  7:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks... most useful info!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Some of my interiors Topic Next Topic: Scuffed up and rusty (two new box cars)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000