Railroad Line Forums - boats and ships terminology
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 233 ]  [ Total: 237 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 boats and ships terminology
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A scratchbuilt Shelbys in O scale Topic Next Topic: Waterfront diorama  

MT Hopper
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  8:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am attempting to get an initial idea on dimensions for a steam powered passenger and packet freighter. Using photos and published dimensions where available. I live on the praries and my exposure to boats and ships is limited to one trip on BC Ferries to the island and a trip on a naval supply ship and a submarine.
Problem. The dimensions given will often quote the "freeboard" dimension. If I understand it correctly, this only gives me the height from the waterline to the underside of the deckplate at midships.What is the term for the side of the ship above the freeboard to the top of the "gunnel"? And is gunnel even the right term??

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent

Will

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  8:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Will - I don't know the answer to the important part of your question, but I'm sure there are people on the forum who do. (If necessary, I'll ask my shop partner, who is also a boat builder.)

One small point, though - "gunnel" is the correct pronunciation but the word is actually spelled "gunwale."

Don

Edited by - AVRR-PA on 12/26/2010 8:54:26 PM

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  12:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gunwhale is the upper edge of the ships side. The term I think you are looking for may be bulwark, it is the area extending from the upper deck to the gunwhale. You can check on some of the terminology at some of the ship modeling sites, I am sure some of them may have a glossary of nautical terms.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  1:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahoy Will, perhaps this site will help you get a better grasp of ships parts and terminology.
http://www.shipmodeling.ca/aaglo-b.html#R

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 01/04/2011 1:53:59 PM

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  2:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A Coast Guard story: The captain of one of the buoy tenders had risen through the ranks to command the ship. Each day he'd start his routine by opening the safe in his office and taking out a piece of paper. He'd look at it for a bit, put it back in the safe and carry on. This went on every day for decades, as he stayed with the same ship. Of course everyone on the ship knew of his routine, but he shared the secret with no one.

The captain eventually got sick and passed away. They had to get a locksmith to open is office safe, and everyone was anxious to find out what was written on that piece of paper the captain checked out each morning.

They found it said "Starboard - right, Port - left".

So now you know!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  4:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

A Coast Guard story: The captain of one of the buoy tenders had risen through the ranks to command the ship. Each day he'd start his routine by opening the safe in his office and taking out a piece of paper. He'd look at it for a bit, put it back in the safe and carry on. This went on every day for decades, as he stayed with the same ship. Of course everyone on the ship knew of his routine, but he shared the secret with no one.

The captain eventually got sick and passed away. They had to get a locksmith to open is office safe, and everyone was anxious to find out what was written on that piece of paper the captain checked out each morning.

They found it said "Starboard - right, Port - left".

So now you know!

HurleyStation is correct - bulwark is the side of the ship above the deck and gunwhale is the rail on the top of the side of the ship.

http://phrontistery.info/nautical.html has a list of terms if you are looking for more

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

MT Hopper
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  3:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your replies.
I can identify with the Captain story as I'm a very old CFR (Comissioned From the Ranks) and thanks to a Navy mess bartender I always rememberd a starboard light was green.

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
MT Hopper

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  3:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sounds a bit like the story about a very well-regarded Certified Public Accountant. When he died and his associates were clearing out his desk, they found a scrap of paper that said: "Credits toward the window. Debits toward the door."

Don

Previous Topic: A scratchbuilt Shelbys in O scale Topic Next Topic: Waterfront diorama  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000