Railroad Line Forums - Are pewter castings workable
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 147 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Are pewter castings workable
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 90 degree corners Topic Next Topic: Lightmanns Army & Navy in  O scale  

Newcastle Kid
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  7:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm starting to gather some details for my Challenge build in HO and looked at a lot of pewter but have seen some resin.
Opinions on the two.
John Kerekes
Graduate, summa cum laude
Armchair Model Railroad Institute

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  7:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newcastle Kid

I'm starting to gather some details for my Challenge build in HO and looked at a lot of pewter but have seen some resin.
Opinions on the two.

I'm not sure what you are refering to as the details you are wanting, but I like working with any of the resin type detail parts before working with pewter types. To me the pewter parts need much more cleaning and filing and scraping to get them cleaned up before painting. JMO

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  8:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pewter detail parts are also refered to as white metal. they can be sawed, sanded, filed, scraped, drilled, cut and painted. I'd say that's workable. Once primed there is little to no difference with resin castings except weight. CA glue holds both real well.

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  8:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you clean them very well before painting. It wouldn't hurt to try to etch them in a vinegar and water solution (but I'm not sure how well pewter etches.) Both of these will make paint (and superglue) stick better.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  02:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that it depends on two things, primarily the caster/manufacturer, and secondly the detail part that you want.

Certain details lend themselves to one or the other medium for an optimum representation. However, if the manufacturer, caster, mold isn't 'great', then neither will your detail part.

As for the title of the thread, metal details are very workable, they can be , cut, filed, shaped, twisted, bent, and soldered, along with many other adaptations. It's dependant on the skill of the modeller what can be done with it. However, a bad casting will generally remain a bad casting, always start with the highest quality that you can, be it in resin or metal.

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  11:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To add to what I was saying about white metal and resin. And expand on what the others have said. Here is a picture of a Woodland Scenics old motor bike kit pewter/white metal.
Would you enjoy working with that, or resin???

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  12:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

To add to what I was saying about white metal and resin. And expand on what the others have said. Here is a picture of a Woodland Scenics old motor bike kit pewter/white metal.
Would you enjoy working with that, or resin???

Resin cleans up easier for sure! Both metal and resin have would have parting lines. Looks like that WS part missed the fettling station.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  2:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As I said it depends on the manufacturer/quality. Not all metal parts look like that, metal can be just as sharp/clean/crisp as resin.

WS is not at the top of the quality tree for metal, infact, somewhere near the root system......

Karl.A

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  10:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

As I said it depends on the manufacturer/quality. Not all metal parts look like that, metal can be just as sharp/clean/crisp as resin.

WS is not at the top of the quality tree for metal, infact, somewhere near the root system......

Karl.A

I hear ya, lots of work on those WS castings. Looks like there getting all they can out of those molds. pideeful

Newcastle Kid
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  11:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Pewter detail parts are also refered to as white metal. they can be sawed, sanded, filed, scraped, drilled, cut and painted. I'd say that's workable. Once primed there is little to no difference with resin castings except weight. CA glue holds both real well.

That's good, thanks.

John Kerekes
Graduate, summa cum laude
Armchair Model Railroad Institute

Previous Topic: 90 degree corners Topic Next Topic: Lightmanns Army & Navy in  O scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000