Railroad Line Forums - Cardigan Bay Coastal Railroad..the beginning..
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 176 ]  [ Total: 182 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Cardigan Bay Coastal Railroad..the beginning..
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: stiff leg derrick - Keil-Line #48-125 Topic Next Topic: First time REAL layout ( and yes, in On30 )
Page: of 100

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  4:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage
As you all know I joined the forums early august and did a lot of work on Marty's wharf module. This module had to be integrated into a larger layout.
Part of the room I have in mind to build my layout can be used right now so I decided to get on with it.
Inspired by Troels CL-RR, been a great fan of coastals since I first lay my eyes on Th. Polet's 009 layout here in Holland, I dedided to work on a coastal layout on my own. Freelance so I took a name from the coast of Wales. People from around here settled in northern america and named it after the place the came from. As the industrial revolution went on they needed a railroad for transport. The easiest way was a narrow gauge 30" track..
This is my starting point...

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  5:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage
Ok, partial finished with a trackplan, but I ot an ugly and strange corner to fill..all help is welcome here..(never did trackplans before)

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Martin,

Is the area big enough for a wye turn around?
You could have a RR work area placed there.

Tom M.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  7:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage
I think so, guess a wye needs around 2'by 2' keeping the 24" radius in mind, the area is around 2'by 4'

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  8:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Martin,

That is a nice start. It looks like a very interesting plan. Looking forward to the construction, and as always, plenty of pictures please!

Arthur

Arthur

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  01:19:58 AM  Show Profile
This is exiting, and looks promising! A wye seems a good addition in the problem area... the spur needs some space too. Enjoy the planning... alterations goes much faster with an eraser than when building later...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  06:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Martin, I was thinking a Y too. Just remember, if something goes amuck, you will have to reach way back in the recess. what is happening down on the lower right. What happens in the room on the left.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  07:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage
Jim, the room on the left is an additional 12' x 16', gotta go through walls but it's easy cause its wood. On the lower right I got somekinda turning loop in my mind partly with scenery, hidden staging perhaps..still think about it it's gonna be connected with a 2x3' wheeled module.
But as Troels said, let's work it out a bit more on paper. But I think I need a bit of track to run some trains..it's 11 days till the 2 forneys arrive..
Think I'll ditch track in the corner, it's one of the places in my attic where I can gain some hight in scenery. In the dutch US forum someone suggested to build a nice lighthouse placed on a rocky hill in that corner....
And Arthur I will make a lot of pics on this build...

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  08:16:29 AM  Show Profile
Marty, how can you be sure it's exactly 11 days?
Agree with Troels and you. An eraser is an easy to use tool, and in the same time, seeing how things go together for real can be a great help.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  08:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage
It's easy Frederic, Geezer sended them to my nephew in Atlanta, he's taking the plane to holland and arrives the 21th so I'll have them on the 22nd that's 11 days from now. No customs no nothing, it's a gift from him to me...
Try to get the benchwork ready the next week or so, then I can fool around a little with those printed peco turnouts lay some track in between, get it worked out..

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  09:00:15 AM  Show Profile
It would be good if all transatlantic delivery dates would be so sure, Marty...

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  09:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage
Yeah I know, it's customs most of the time...got lucky with this, his family is flying 2 a 3 times a year to him..

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  09:28:29 AM  Show Profile
Martin, I've enjoyed following along on your progress of Marty's Wharf and I look forward to seeing your track plan come to life.
I don't see where Frederic has blessed this new layout with a birth date yet.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  09:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my God, I forgot...
Let's wait until Marty screws or glues or nails two pieces of benchwork.

The Great Birth Date Blesser...

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  09:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Frederic, I wasn't sure if you were waiting for the actual construction to begin.
I thought maybe that since Marty's Wharf will be part of the layout, that that would count.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:43:40 AM  Show Profile
Ah, Rick, it's not what we've done with the first builds of Troels.
But it's true that Marty's wharf is a big thing. I enter into [Thinking mode].
........ bzzz ..... crrr ... dong ........ tilik tilik ...
Out of [Thinking mode]. August 08 has been declared the official birthdate of the Cardigan Bay Coastal RR.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 12/11/2010 11:44:08 AM

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: stiff leg derrick - Keil-Line #48-125 Topic Next Topic: First time REAL layout ( and yes, in On30 )  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000