Railroad Line Forums - Just been ripped off... Model Tech Studios S0054
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Just been ripped off... Model Tech Studios S0054
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Work on South River Modelworks Layout Topic Next Topic: Interaction Enterprises
Page: of 4

garyk007
New Hire

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  03:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Hope this is the right place to post this. If not my apologies.

I thought I might let you all know and warn any of you that are thinking of buying this particular "Craftsman kit" from Model Tech Studios.

I saw it on a retailers website, on sale, and having read the description, I thought that might make a great model.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Ship-Under-Construction-Waterfront-p/mdts-s0054.htm

Living in South Africa I have to be sure of what I am buying as the postage from the USA is expensive.

So I looked up on the Model Tech website to make sure of what I was buying.
http://mts.inline.net/merchant.ihtml?pid=387&lastcatid=2&step=4

I proceeded to buy this kit number S0054.
It arrived 2 weeks later only for me to find that the only thing included in the kit is the ships keel and some planking.

In very small print on the front of the plastic packet that the "kit" comes in, it says "Sheds not included"

It would cost me more than twice what the kit is worth to post it back for a refund.

What a rip off.

So an expensive lesson to never believe the descriptions on the Model Tech Website.

Sorry for any ramblings but thought a warning was called for.

Happy modelling
Modelling anything with a flange

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  04:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary ,

Christ , you really have been ripped off . Not only that but the description on the website definitely implies that the kit includes what is in the picture so the clown who runs that company is a double arsehole . I hope you didn't pay the $117.00 that it is advertised for on his website because that really would have been a rip off .
Unfortunately it is to late for you , but that company does not have a very good reputation in the hobby and this , to me , just reinforces that reputation . Not only is it overpriced and poorly executed but it is a copy of a much better looking ship under construction made by Sierra West .

You have my sympathy ,

NickO

dgjj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  04:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit dgjj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it would appear that you did not receive the full kit from model tech studios as the two descriptions are different. I would contact model tech studios direct and advise them of your problem with the supplier. It appears the price is significantly different (not even close to a wholesale price) and you may have been ripped off by the supplier. I have had great dealings with model tech studios direct.
if you paid by credit card go to your bank and dispute the transaction as not received as described (you generally have 3 months to do this). In most countries this is a remedy that is available as misrepresented product or not fit for the purpose it was designed for, it then becomes the problem for the vendor to prove it was, which is difficult when the product received does not match the product advertised.
good luck with this
cheers
Dave

again the misnamed
http://modelrailroadscratchbuilder.wordpress.com/

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  06:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary

I do feel for you. With our South African Rand being so weak against the Dollar, we have to choose wisely when buying something.
Then you get a case like this that turns into an exspensive nightmare.

I luckily(touch wood) havnt had a bad experience yet.
Infact all of my transactions have been really smooth and hassle free. Even buying off Ebay hasnt been a problem.

Hope you get the problem resolved.

Where in south africa do you stay? Im in Cape Town.

garyk007
New Hire

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  07:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im in Joburg,

And I must say that I have been lucky in the past.
Had the occasional item go missing through the postal service here. But on the whole not bad.

I dont mind paying for a quality kit, but this just made my blood boil.

Still no reply from either the dealer or MTS.

Modelling anything with a flange

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  07:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Notice the wording on the Model Tech Studio web site "These kits may be purchased individually if desired"

I would surmise that the vendor Model Train Stuff is the one that screwed up by offering the description and part number of the complete scene kit on their web site, but then shipped the kit for just the ship portion. Given that the full kit is advertised on the Model Tech Studio web site at $117.00 with the price of the incorrectly advertised kit being $34.99 then at least you appear to have paid for what you got, even if it is not what you were expecting. I would contact the web vendor, as it is clear to me that this is where the fault lies in this case.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  08:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, I had to look over closely what is happening here. I see the fault lying with Model Train Stuff. They are implying, with the picture, that you are getting the entire Waterfront Series for this price. I notice that they are "out of stock" with this item; maybe they have realized their mistake.

You'll need some good luck with Model Tech Studios kits. I bought one of their top end kits; and it leaves a lot to be desired.

John

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  09:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely false advertising by Model Train Stuff.
File a dispute with your Credit Card company immediately.
The kit advertised was the part # for the full kit. You did your homework and they screwed you.
Model Tech isn't the one but make sure to contact them also and let them know what the retailer did.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Make sure you do a lot of squeaking.

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaynjay

Wow, I had to look over closely what is happening here. I see the fault lying with Model Train Stuff. They are implying, with the picture, that you are getting the entire Waterfront Series for this price. I notice that they are "out of stock" with this item; maybe they have realized their mistake.

You'll need some good luck with Model Tech Studios kits. I bought one of their top end kits; and it leaves a lot to be desired.

I agree with John. The description on the Model Tech Studio site for that particual item # says, "scene includes lasercut ship keel and ribs... which make for easy assembly to form the ship's shape
also includes work staging
ship's track and cradle system
winch shed with winch system and interior shed stud framing
and lumber shed
these kits can also be purchased individually if desired...email or call us if you wish to do this."

The retail price listing for the kit is different on the Hobby Stuff page though. Still, it's extremely misleading.

-slim

Edited by - slimjerkins on 12/10/2010 09:46:35 AM

modorney
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  09:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Model Tech Studios lists the whole scene as part number S0054 But no part numbers for the individual buildings, ship, etc.)

Model Train Stuff lists the same part number - S0054 - only the list price is different.

Looks like sloppy website work on the part of Model Train Stuff, somebody wasn't proofreading!

cheers,
Mike O

Euro-style modeling on a 2 by 5 foot module.

jerrman
Section Hand

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary, sounds like they sent one part of the scene although they showed the entire one. Hopefully, you didn't pay the $117 which is the whole scene kit which does come with the sheds, etc. The description is clear ("Part of our Shipyard Series...
Create a unique Scene with a ship
under construction....
scene includes lasercut ship keel and ribs... which make for easy assembly to form the ship's shape
also includes work staging
ship's track and cradle system
winch shed with winch system and interior shed stud framing
and lumber shed
these kits can also be purchased individually if desired..."

Just looked at the price from the retailer and it was about $35 so clearly they were selling one section of the scene (although they showed the box from the entire scene). The whole scene is $117. You could get the other parts through MTS or another retailer to complete the set. If it was missing pieces, unfortunately, in my and others dealings with MTS they're not all that sympathetic to missing parts but that doesn't seem to be what happened here. If you paid via PayPal you can easily file a claim, but if you really want the full scene and only paid for one section of it, buying the rest of it probably is the best course of action and you won't have wasted the money you've already invested. Good luck with this. It's always a bummer to be disappointed with what comes in the kit, but maybe this was more of a sloppy posting error than intentional.

Jerrman

Edited by - jerrman on 12/10/2010 10:08:12 AM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  10:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerrman

Just looked at the price from the retailer and it was about $35 so clearly they were selling one section of the scene (although they showed the box from the entire scene). The whole scene is $117. Jerrman

Jerrman,
I hate to disagree; but the only thing clear here is a misleading advertisement. I looked at the Model Tech Website and they do not sell the boat by itself. The Waterfront Series is a large group of kits including a lighthouse, factories, etc.

It would be like Model Train Stuff showing FSM's Elijah Roth & Sons for a price of $50 and only sending you the water wheel. You can't piecemeal out a kit.

I would only hope that Model Train Stuff maned up and would honor their ad. Many Big-Box stores honor their ads.

John

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  3:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gary
If you paid by credit card, dispute the charge. The advertising is definitely misleading since no where does it state buildings not included. This has happened to me before and AMEX immediately removed the charge and it was up to the retailer to prove different. I won 100% of the time. Just had an incident with e-bay where I was sold a locomotive that was not stock and arrived damaged from England. It was FED 2-6-0T. The motor wires had come un-soldered. Someone had changed parts to plastic and real wood. Before contacting the seller I tried to repair it myself. No such luck. I filed a complaint with PayPal& Ebay. They ruled that since I tried to repair it the seller was not responsible. American Express saw differently and refunded 75% of the charge. Always pays no matter what to use a credit card .
Mike M

jerrman
Section Hand

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  5:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaynjay

quote:
Originally posted by jerrman

Just looked at the price from the retailer and it was about $35 so clearly they were selling one section of the scene (although they showed the box from the entire scene). The whole scene is $117. Jerrman

Jerrman,
I hate to disagree; but the only thing clear here is a misleading advertisement. I looked at the Model Tech Website and they do not sell the boat by itself. The Waterfront Series is a large group of kits including a lighthouse, factories, etc.

It would be like Model Train Stuff showing FSM's Elijah Roth & Sons for a price of $50 and only sending you the water wheel. You can't piecemeal out a kit.

I would only hope that Model Train Stuff maned up and would honor their ad. Many Big-Box stores honor their ads.

John, you're probably right. But, I can't tell what MTS sell separately from the website since they say to call them. But, if it's a case of missing pieces from whatever they were supposed to be selling, MTS is a tough one on that score. I know a couple of instances where they absolutely denied that any of their kits could have missing pieces. Go figure. Maybe the best option is for Gary to see if the retailer is willing to make good on their mistake or whatever it was they did, maybe they'll credit him and then he can start over. Another option might be to talk with MTS and see what they suggest since the retailer might well say they're just a middleman and sell pre-packaged items from the manufacturer and the box was never opened. Frankly, the frustration of having this happen when you've ordered in good faith, is enormous. But, it won't be the first time nor the last.

Jerrman

mlvarley
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  6:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an issue like this with one of their built-up (pre-built) building flats I bought a couple of years ago from Model Tech. I had also purchased the kit of the same (built-up) building. The built-up did not include all of the details that came with the kit version. I called him and even tried to get him to send me the detail parts I found "missing" and I would paint and install them. He gave a lame excuse and refused to send them. Note that these missing details were clearly visible on the image of the built-up on their website.

They will NEVER get any business from me again.

Mike

Jim Mooney
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  9:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok.. this seems really weird to me...It looks like the second link is also a ModelTech site...seems really confusing..BUT !... no one on this forum can really do anything about it! Contact ModelTech and see what happened! It might be just and honest mistake...(hopefully)...if you don't get anywhere then by all means come on here and trash them all you want....but first...always contact the manufacturer....good luck.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Work on South River Modelworks Layout Topic Next Topic: Interaction Enterprises  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000