Railroad Line Forums - Paper/Card Challenge - Rolling Stock Edition!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: clapper ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Paper/Card Challenge - Rolling Stock Edition!
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dueling Builds - SWSM Twin Mills at Deer Creek Topic Next Topic: Warped Splice
Page: of 4

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  6:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Motivated by Karl I decided to start this one, let's go straight to the point, the challenge is:

Make a Rolling Stock or Motive Power piece out of paper/card stock

Now for some details, the challenge is to have paper has one of the main materials in construction, since we are dealing with mechanical components it's acceptable the following:

Motive power: The power unit, wheels, chassis and the mechanics can be the usual, paper should be used for the structure itself and every other thing you think of.

Rolling stock:Chassis and wheels can be standard material, the rest should be made out of paper/card

Time frame: It starts now and ends on Feb 14th 2011.

The challenge is not scale specific.
Progress pictures are more than welcome.

Since this this will probably be a challenge with less participants than usual we will only set up a final pictures thread if required.

Just to get you guys going, here is a link to Clever Models page where you can get some ideas. [Disclaimer: I'm in no way affiliated with Clever Models and I'm linking because is relevant to the challenge]:

http://clevermodels.squarespace.com/critters-cars-disc-gallery/

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  6:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an interesting challenge , Nelson , and here is another link . There is some really amazing paper modeling going on out there as you will see if you look around .
http://www.papermodelers.com/

Terry

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  7:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great Challenge to me Nelson, I'm going to need a few pieces of ON30 rolling stock real soon and this will get me off my butt to do something about it, don't expect a BigBoy or K4 any time soon though.....

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/02/2010 7:18:58 PM

clevermod01
New Hire

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  01:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit clevermod01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool, I will be watching closely.
Thom
Clever models

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  09:48:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very creative and an amazing finished product at Cleaver Models. This might turn out to be a challenge I might try.
Mike M

modorney
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over at the Walnut Creek (California) Model Railroad Club is an exhibit of a few HO trains made in paper. A Japanese modeler visited a few years back, and sent the club a model of a BART train and a model of one of the Tokyo subway trains. All in paper. All fine scale excellent models.

On a side note, many transit systems make punch-out, fold-up models of their light rail vehicles. San Jose (VTA) comes to mind. These are hardly craftsman models, but they are fun, nonetheless.

cheers,
Mike O

Euro-style modeling on a 2 by 5 foot module.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  3:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a challenge I would like to take but my schedule is a little full right now with the machine shop so I will have to to content with just watching and learning.

It's only make-believe

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  3:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm interested as well. I've never really used card or paper in modeling so it's a chance to try something new. I'll see what kind of model I want to try for this...

-Cody

clevermod01
New Hire

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  5:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit clevermod01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a number of O scale standard gauge rail cars right now. A Chicago transit L car 4400 class, an ALCO HH600 and possibly some thing in the SW family as well as a wood sided passenger car of no specific prototype. I just started these in the last week. I hope to post pix here. If not they will be in my blog over at the clever models site.
Thom

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  5:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Russ from Westlake Publishing also used paper to make the boxcar in this thread:

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=238.0

Edited by - nalmeida on 12/03/2010 5:53:16 PM

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  6:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did a little scribing test to see if I could make siding with the materials I have on hand and the results are pretty pleasing. I also think I know what I'm going to build a model of; SR&RL flanger #505 (drawings on page 29 of the May/June 1990 NG&SLG). I happen to have a Bemo HOe four wheel chassis that's an almost perfect fit. So I'm in.

-Cody

clevermod01
New Hire

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  02:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit clevermod01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The flanger sounds pretty cool. A wile ago we posted a freebie of a monson snow plow on our web page. I think it's still up there.

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  12:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I knew about the Paper Creek models but never really pursued building a paper model.

However in looking at the Clever Models website I believe I am sold and am going to try my hand at building one.

One reason is they provide the graphics in which you print out on your own; much more to my liking! In addition the tutorials / tips PDFs were a nice read too.

I plan on building their Monson Snow Plow 'freebie' this weekend and depending on how it goes I have my eye on the On30 CRITTERS & CARS DVD.

clevermod01
New Hire

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  2:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit clevermod01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
louie, i hope you post pix. I've seen several builds of the snow plow and they were all different.

Thom

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  2:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got the Monson snow plow downloaded as well and am looking forward to putting it together. I'm going to try and build the HOn30 version.

-Cody

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  3:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clevermod01

louie, i hope you post pix.

Hey Thom, yes I will be sure to post pictures.

I just picked up some smooth 100# paper from Michaels and printed out all three pages.

I have to say BEAUTIFUL artwork!!

Looking forward to cuttin' and gluin'!

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Dueling Builds - SWSM Twin Mills at Deer Creek Topic Next Topic: Warped Splice  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000