Railroad Line Forums - Repeatable Cutting Tool
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 141 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Repeatable Cutting Tool
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lightmanns Army & Navy in  O scale Topic Next Topic: Article on 3d printer Open Source project
Page: of 3

Keeper
New Hire

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  3:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a cutting tool for cutting multiple pieces of stripwood at the same length. I've seen various versions of "The Chopper" on different threads, but it doesn't look like Micro-Mark carries is anymore. The have a device call "Cut-It", but it doesn't look like you can do duplicating cuts without modifying the device. Darryl Huffman has a marvalous looking tool which was custom build for him whereby the razor blade applies even cutting pressure accross the wood rather than angled pressure like The Chopper.

What do you recommend?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  4:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Chop-it from Micromark does actually have stops that can be fixed in place for multiple duplicate cuts, also comon angle stops for cutting accurate 45's and such.

Brett from SWSM had a sample of a cutter that slices the stripwood instead of 'squashing it' at the NNGC. Same action as Darryl's I think. Brett was not selling these personally but merely had it on display for a colleague/friend. Maybe someone can recall who this manufacturer was....

Karl.A

Keeper
New Hire

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  5:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

...a cutter that slices the stripwood instead of 'squashing it' ...

That's precisely the effect I'm talking about. I'm getting this now when hand cutting with an X-acto blade. I mark the line with a #2 blade and then "chop" it with a #24 blade. I think because I'm pressing slow, so as to maintain a straight cut, the wood gives more before actually splitting. This causes one side to have a bit of a curve where is was depressed by the blade.

Besides the speed and accuracy of making repeated cuts, I would think the device I'm looking for would reduce this effect - since the cut can be made swiftly.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  6:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be the next cutting tool that I buy: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/cutoff-saws/bench-top-cut-off-saw-42307.html

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  6:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

This will be the next cutting tool that I buy: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/cutoff-saws/bench-top-cut-off-saw-42307.html

I have one, and it's merely OK. To get best results you really need to create a longer "table". And the handle gets in the way. I'd suggest a MicroMark/Proxxon table saw instead, with MicroMark's crosscut sled.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 12/01/2010 6:41:31 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  7:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kettle Valley Trains has this one; http://kvtrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=7&zenid=4tbgv6lr4reamotgbev9o8psk2
I have the one Rick pointed out, and it is great, but you have to do your work outside of your layout to keep the sawdust away from everything.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Keeper
New Hire

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  11:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, that looks just like the one Darryl has, with the addition of the swinging miter arm. $100 is a hefty price though, compared to MicroMark's Chop It ($23) or the MicroLux table saw ($125).

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  12:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
keeper
Have you actually seen the saw that harbor freight sells. I have and its crap. Modeling require precision and that saw is far from precise. I bought a Calibre Saw last year just before they stopped production.. Its similar to the one Louis posted. It's a little finer in construction and has a precise gauge. It was costly at $225.00 but if you want consistent cuts that will not waver, it's the tool to get. Plus, it's going to last a life time. You will not have to replace it in a year or two.
Mike M

MT Hopper
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  01:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the Dremel saw setup Train Clown had, do repeatable length cuts?

Will

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  07:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have both NWSL Chopper and Harbor's Cutoff saw. There was a big discussion about these two products a couple of months ago. the chopper is recommend for materials up to 3/32". So I bought Harbor's cut off saw. it works great, but no platform with stops to easily cut multiple items, so I built one. It may not be as precise as what Mike has, but then, it is only 1/10th the cost. A little sanding of the multiple sticks, get them all the same length. You will just have to decide what works for you.

Micomark still lists it's version of the Chopper
http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=chopper+ii

NWSL's
http://www.nwsl.com/tools/cutting-tools-the-choppers-i-ii-iii

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  09:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keeper

Louis, that looks just like the one Darryl has, with the addition of the swinging miter arm. $100 is a hefty price though, compared to MicroMark's Chop It ($23) or the MicroLux table saw ($125).

When you weight in the price and the job it puts out, this Kettle Valley Trains chopper wins hands down. I believe if you are a serious scratch builder than this is the way to go. http://kvtrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=7&zenid=4tbgv6lr4reamotgbev9o8psk2 But if we are just doing an occassional build than any chopper will work.
Just from the looks and materials put into it, $185.00 isn't making him rich, or giving us a bad deal either. JMO

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 12/02/2010 10:10:25 AM

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  10:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The $100.00 is a "deposit"....The final cost is $185.00 plus shipping.
I have the cutoff saw as well....and like Locoman, I made a "styrene fence & stop"
for mine, that "is" accurate.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  10:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't buy the cheaper MicroMark table saw. It's missing some features you'll probably want. Model Expo has been running great sales. Their Proxxon saw FK-E is the same saw.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  1:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should have made the "slicing" type of cutter instead of the "chopping" type. But; can't play woulda-coulda-shoulda anymore. Milling machine is gone and I sold all my end mills.

Does anyone actually have one of these Cadillac cutters? I would think, by the views, that it is held together with shoulder machines screws or "Stripper" bolts. Does this have any laterial movement of the blade assembly? Looks like it would.

I looked at Micro-Mark and Amazon for the Proxxon 37160 KGS 80 MICRO Chop Saw, if that is in fact what everyone is talking about. I may be wrong; but the pictures suggest that there is no support for the right hand side of the cut. Is this so?

John

Edited by - jaynjay on 12/02/2010 3:01:17 PM

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  07:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave is very correct. I have found over the years that you get what you pay for. Going cheap and buying off brands isn't always the smartest or frugalist way to go. It all depends on your needs and the level of quality you are willing to accept.

John the Harbor chop saw is built with the same concept as the Proxxon, but missing some of the Paxxon freatures and I am sure Proxxon is better made, but only you can decide if it is worth the money.
http://www.micromark.com/PROXXON-MINI-CHOP-MITER-SAW-FOR-HOBBY-USE,8531.html
Hre is Harbor Frieghts saw.
http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-top-cut-off-saw-42307.html

Geezer, would you post a pic of the styrene fence and stop you made. It might be better then what i am trying to do.
Thanks
Jim

terry hansley
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  1:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi All

Here are some pictures of my changes to the Harbor Freight saw.I am very pleased with the repeatability and the quality is certainly worth the price. Replacement blades are at the store although I have cut a lot of strip wood and still have the original on.

If you notice there is a back table to support angle cuts as the vice swivels to accomodate them. Ask if you have questions.

Terry H

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Lightmanns Army & Navy in  O scale Topic Next Topic: Article on 3d printer Open Source project  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000