Railroad Line Forums - Small logging dioramas
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Small logging dioramas
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Roof question Topic Next Topic: Hyde Pulp Mill
Page: of 7

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  09:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frederic this sounds like a good idea and hopefully we'll get to see the progress as you move forward. I love to see what modelers can do in small spaces with logging. Thanks Tom

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  09:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, great sketch will be watching the build.

Mark

W,L,&E

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking structure idea Frederic. Looking forward to your construction process and following this thread.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a super project. Gonna bring it to the narrow gauge convention in Hickory?

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  5:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know Frederic,this build looks kinda sketchy to me so far.
Best of luck in your new venture.

Greg Shinnie

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  6:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to you all for the interest in this project.
Here are a few answers to questions asked - and not asked.

First, I really don't see why Geezer can't see the pics. They have been uploaded to the same server as the one that hosts the Dave's Corner thread, and you were able to see those posted yesterday, so I'm really wondering what happens. Do you use two computers and could it be that the security settings are not the same, with some image hosts forbidden on one and not on the other?
I don't think I will go into the same level of detailing on these small dioramas than on Dave's Corner, but I plan to suggest the inside of the building with a number of castings, lasercut items and some scratchbuilt parts too. On the scene shown in the drawing, I'm still looking for an idea to populate in an interesting yet not unrealistic way the small shed on the right. This might simply be a storage space for the neighbor logging camp (which will be suggested by a few cabins on the second diorama, an even narrower one because there's a second track).
Speaking of other dioramas in the neighborhood, there will be these cabins, and the end of the line will be occupied by a pile driver working on a new trestle. It will be impossible to have the trestle scene separate from the layout, but the pile driver should be an interesting model to build.
Les, you noticed that this house is too "well finished" to be a simple cabin. You're right, but in early 20th century pictures, there are examples of more elaborate lodging, as we can see for instance in books like 'This was logging' which feature many beautiful pictures by Darius Kinsey. Here is a nice example :

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/kinsey&CISOPTR=0&CISOBOX=1&REC=11

Chris, NNGC always take place when we go back teaching here in my university, so I think I won't....

More to come later (for instance the plain ugly piece of plywood that is the current state of the diorama...)

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  7:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just build just build youre loggin dioramas gonna be look ok..

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  9:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Many thanks to you all for the interest in this project.
Here are a few answers to questions asked - and not asked.

First, I really don't see why Geezer can't see the pics. They have been uploaded to the same server as the one that hosts the Dave's Corner thread,...

It could be his browser. At work were still using IE VS6 and I can't see any of your pictures in any of your treads or your contributions to the treads of others. At home I use IE 10 but mostly Mozzla and have no problem view your photos.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  9:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add; I'm looking forward to this build too.

It's only make-believe

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Just as some info on buildings; my uncle owned a logging company in New England during the first half of the 20th century.
He would go from area to area, logging off the available trees, taking a crew of about 8-10 men with him.
They generally set up for the summer and worked until the lot was finished. He had a number of wood buildings that were assembled with bolts through the corner posts.
Each wall and roof sides could be taken down and transported by flatbed truck to the next location.
They were probably (old memory here) about 8'x10' or 10'x12'. During the winter the buildings were stored; some re-assembled on his property and others stored flat.
These were used as sleeping quarters for the men and/or storage buildings.
He also used a big old center pole US Navy medical tent for the cook tent.
Although there was no train, all the trees were brought from the forest by tractors, then cut into boards at the portable circular saw mill on site and then boards loaded onto a truck for transport to the lumber yard and finishing process.
My point is that small bolted together buildings were actually used in NE along with tents well into the 20th century.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the concept Frederic. Looking forward to seeing it come together .... along with some additional buildings(?)...

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  6:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, thanks for the information on loggers practice. Honestly, it's a bit difficult to find a good reason to have a relatively complex structure like this near a logging camp, so I have invented that the company wanted a storage space, plus a little workplace in prevision of subsequent developments, but the very reason is that I love the design of the scene and don't think it is so unrealistic.
Kris, thanks for the encouragement. Additionnal building : do you mean BIG building?

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  6:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, today, I offered to myself a break in the building of Dave's Corner - the engineering of the cradle was a bit exhausting - and cut the walls for the cabin shown in the introductory picture of this topic. Nothing really worth a photo as yet, but I wanted to let you know that eventually some progress was done here.
The planks will be the strips of canson paper I cut using the jig I described yesterday. The work on the ship Anne on Dave's Corner has shown me that it wasn't so hard to have them look like wood and I wish to test this new capacity.
Windows will be lasercut (Rusty Stumps), and doors scratch.
Pictures as soon as there's something to show.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  6:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, Uhhhhh... naw.... this is the wooded end, not the rocky side of the layout. So... Looking forward to at least a few more structures, and the pile driver sounds like a winner. That should keep you busy for a few days at least.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  6:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I suspect I see what you mean, Kris. When Dave's Corner is done (it's not so far now), I think we can resume our project.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Roof question Topic Next Topic: Hyde Pulp Mill  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000