Railroad Line Forums - Building Flats for the Big Horn and Moose Lake RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Building Flats for the Big Horn and Moose Lake RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Last NarrowGauge Steam Logging RR Topic Next Topic: Small Mines
Page: of 27

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  9:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Rich...
The premise here is that these are the backs of the buildings, the front of the garage is forward, and what you are seeing is just the rear open door, not intended for one to drive out. Garage kinda like a mom and pop thing nothing commercial..the setting is 1941, maybe its even a private place, where someone has converted the company house into something different.

Les

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  9:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron - scroll up about mid page & you
will see how the car fits in the "thin" garage....;-)
Great castings Les... when I grow up, I want to learn
how to do that.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  9:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Geez,
Molding and casting is relatively simple, its better today, because it doesnt require vacumes and degassing. The resin is simple too, mix 1-1 and pour. Todays RTV and Resins dont smell and are basically easy to do. I am not sure how one does scratch building and whackin-hackin without knowing how. Glad you like though I am always willing to help and walking you thru it.

Les

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  10:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh, the old drive through garage trick. I wouldn't want to back in from the front of the garage with the rear door open after a few pints.

Geezer, my comment wasn't about how the car fits in the thin garage but about the really narrow alleyway in the back.

Les, this is going to be a great scene when done, I like the fact that one slip along the back alleyway will probably be their last.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  10:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les, how about this for the garage, it was built before the railroad came through thr back area and the ground has fell away. Since this is the back of the garage this the back door. they can go out the front. Maybe put the doors on partly openand hanging off the hinges a little. JMO

Mark

W,L,&E

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  06:10:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mark
That pretty much is the plan for that building and the whole area, that the town which is byond the buildings, was built and the railroad encroached. You also have a lake that may at time have flooded and eaten away at the dirt and rock that the buildings sat on. The doors will be split maybe not hanging on very good. The visual is working along now.

Les

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  1:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les,

Great progress ... interesting concept. I'll be watching to see how the story line works out.

Tom M.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  3:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tom
Thanks, I am following your progress on your speeder too. I would like to have on, but every time something looks like its going to work at that size it looks and runs like a slot car. So I am watching closely.

The building flat (thick and thin) is a good solution, I chose not to do paper type cutout and wanted something that appear to fit era and genre.

Les

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  2:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good day all,
First painting attempts with the flats, 2 are reasonably complete, the doubles need the roof material ...I have it just have to find it. But I thought you should see the progress to date.

Progress on the hillside house, the foam has been carved down (no pictured, and the retaining walls have been made and stained also not pitured.) Hillside house will have support posts made from wooden skewers.

Small House that sits in between company house, and company house converted to garage.

Profile shot of this house, detail on roof and sides, you just never know if you can see it.

The doubles...work in progress, color has been applied, got to put the roofs on.

The orginal flat in the mountains...

As you can see there is squishy foliage painting...greens to blend, I will actually glue up some 3D greenery to blend to the base.

Les

Edited by - visman48 on 11/21/2010 2:52:55 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  4:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your paint work is really excellent, Les. The integration of the flat in the last picture is really very good!

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  4:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Thanks the picture showed me I needed to paint the column there, but then I kinda knew that as I have a plan to go back and do some minimal sponge tree painting. The integration will have foamy stuff glued directly too it, and then some carefully place weeds and low undergrowth.

Les

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  5:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I second Frederic's comment, you successfully added color without mucking up the detail with thick layers, it looks great. I love towns with building desperately defying gravity, clinging to hillsides and canyon walls. The overall effect should be compelling.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  5:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Vern et al,
Since Vern said something about paint, for the most part there isn't much, The prime coat is model masters camoflage gray, then for the most part the rest is Hunter stains, light gray, sepia, medium brown, and light brown, all done with washes. The final is a drybrushing using vallejo gray. The rock work is a delta craft paint tan, and carmel as well as the green. very thin, simple dabs very little painting.

The double buildings are now under roof, and I have the techniques down to paint the rest of the buildings. The barn will be undercoated the same way with either dry brush barn, red oxide or salt and water techniques. The garage will be brown with extensive peeled paint and the house will have gray underpainting and pealed and chipped white paint.

Les

belg
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  5:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les, really enjoying watching your flats coming to fruition. I was wondering if you thought about angling some of them so the view into the interiors would be a little more difficult? Pat

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  5:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They turned out very nice.

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: The Last NarrowGauge Steam Logging RR Topic Next Topic: Small Mines  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000