Railroad Line Forums - Building Flats for the Big Horn and Moose Lake RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Poul Low Moller ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Building Flats for the Big Horn and Moose Lake RR
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Last NarrowGauge Steam Logging RR Topic Next Topic: Small Mines
Page: of 27

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  09:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good Morning all,
As promised I thought I would wonder thru the flat building or building flats that I am doing. The premise here is to have the back of the buildings, cabins or houses, because they didn't face the RR and in reality the RR was out the back door. I didn't have enough space to do full buildings, but enough to do thin to thickish buildings. I wanted as much detail as I could because they are still relatively close to the viewer.

In my case I am using castings that I have or have purchased, rather than spend huge amounts of time scratch building. However as you see the volume of detail and the look and feel is going to be that of a scratch built building.

Les

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  09:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So Now we have the opening premise out of the way lets review the bidding...

Buildings are made to be removable for creation, painting and detailing. In the case of this building its a Tom Yorke practice wall with a shed wall casting attached, mounted on 1/4 Gatorboard. Finished up with some wood to cover the edges and roof for starts.

Location #1

Building for location #1

End look..still needs paint, its primed now, waiting for a day of painting with the rest of the structures.

Buildings #2
Lead into the next space that was hinted at by Mark on his visit.

A little ground work improvements to meet the cutout profile, done with sculptamold, some base painting with airbrush because I had dark brown paint in the brush.

The new area
Orginal idea mocked up with kit plans...

Mark took this picture of the mocked up area

There was some deviation from the orginal idea, it what building parts I would use. I decided that many small towns with "company" buildings were built the same, so that would allow me to have multiple backs that were some what the same. I was also able to find a different wall from an estate sale. There will be fences connecting the buildings and help set the stage.

Thursday I glued up the pink foam, Friday I carved much of it away as planned.

Building sitting on a severly undercut crumbling embankment. Alot of proping up and junk will litter this area. They recycled out the back door.

So you have a "standard company building" a company building that has been converted to a garage (you see the back end of that building)
a smaller building, and a barn. I still have hopes of cutting a On30 street car down to put in one side of the barn, maybe on the leftside of the barn.

House and smaller building...

The garage with car and doors to be split.

The barn...

More work cutting away the embankment...

The car casting is from a kit from Tom Yorke marketed by branline. I liked the idea so much I bought the kit just to have the car and wall castings.

Well as you can see these are fat building flats, with the intent of being severly detailed, so keep an eye out for that effort. I hope to follow thru with lights and people (this stuff is on hand to do)

Les

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  10:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great start Les, I look forward to seeing how you paint and detail that area.

Mark

W,L,&E

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  7:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These parts look very good, Les. I'm eager to see what you're gonna do with the half car. Reminds me of Herbie in Disney's movie "The Love Bug" :
http://www.1974beetle.com/photos/herbie/movie/The_Love_Bug_31.jpg

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  7:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! What a great idea!!! I guess I will have to
lear about casting this type of stuff.....It
really saves a lot of space, and looks good too!
Thanks Les!!

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  7:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les,
Those are some cool flats!

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  7:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Guys
Thanks for the input, today I did the follow on section, I carved it down and will start to build some retaining wall segments. Now to see if I can find a On30 trolly car body that somebody is not using. I figure that I can slice it down and postion it diagonally...down the hill from that will be a another company house but it will be a side view only half of the building so I guess I need to pour some more resin, one more side and rear to be cut in half.

Les

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  6:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Realy nice job on the flats. Saves a lot of space. In the past I have glued WS tree foam to the backdrop just above the roof to hide the joint

Roland

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  7:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Guys,
Thanks for the comments and support in this little endeavor. Yesterday I did foam work, and last night I did bundles of scrap wood, and stirstick wood, put them in small sealable plastic bags, to enmass stain. Today, I made retaining walls, pour some castings...another wall front, and truck. So all in all a good weekend of progress.

Here is some of those efforts...

Simple piece of wood holding up the building, more rickety pieces will be used. I have actually seen buildings like this in Montana, especially Butte.

Noodling the truck to be parked in the weeds, yup its a diecast truck that I molded a couple of years ago. I carved out the wheel wells and will cut the rear off some to move it back to the fense. It will get buried in weeds and junk.

detail shot of the truck...

parts of the retaining walls, location and exact positioning not there yet, I will likely make one more.

The new half building...it will be a side view of the company building. this will NOT be the position, it will move down the slope, the slope will get cut, and the building will project out with supports at the back. Rest of the visualization yet to com...for even the slope, retaining walls and the street car thats on its way.

Well this has been a fun bit of work and experimenting, great opportunity to do alot of detailing, will need too given the detail already on the buildings. No visual yet on trees, but thats okay it will develop. In fact I don't have a sense what the buildings will look like.

I started to wood over the pink foam on the barn, and the small building. Once the doors and windows are built in then I may start to paint all the buildings.

Not sure how much work I will get done this week, but I will be re-engaging in the porter project next before I start anything new.

Les

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  7:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good looking castings these flats..nice railtruck too, does it run??

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  7:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Martin,
Thanks, yes it does run, I am embarrased that I didn't build it. The log load is built over a Precision Craft Goose, I rebuilt the soundbox, and it just pushes the truck.. I need to put a different truck on wheels, this one is too new. But it does sound and run good.

Les

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  8:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice thread Les.
Are all the wall castings by Tom or did you make some of them?
Also, in your first set of pictures, any chance of getting a closer look at that structure in the bottom right corner?

Will include a SBS of how you're going to paint the castings, both walls and vehicles?

As you think, so will you be.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  8:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Rick
If the structure is the one I am thinking its one Tom Yorkes..the base is plaster rock, and its castings. The walls and rears are from Tom, I made a mold of them so I could hack and wack them. If I was to build them all from scratch it would take a month of sundays. It really helps move the project forward. I have been collecting alot of Toms stuff over the last year off of ebay, estate sales and directly. The new stuff is pretty good too.

Les

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  8:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Les,

Going to love following along with this thread, those are great casting you are starting with. Only concern I have is with the cars. The area behind the buildings seen too narrow for the car to drive into the garage.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  8:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ron
Would loved to have had more room or made the buildings thinner, but I decided to do the caving away look and only sacrafice a little RR real estate. I guess we will have to see how it looks, The pink, blue and cream colored castings do strange things with the eye...maybe it wont work and I have ventured nothing, its all removable. I will keep working on this in this thread though.

Les

RDG_Rich
Section Hand

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  9:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm liking it...the only thing I don't like is the garage. It doesn't make sense to have it backed up to a cliff. It looks good, I just wouldn't want to be the guy trying to get his car out of there. ;)

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: The Last NarrowGauge Steam Logging RR Topic Next Topic: Small Mines  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000