Railroad Line Forums - how it porter be...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 how it porter be...
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Custom decals needed Topic Next Topic: Wooden Tunnel Portals
Page: of 4

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  1:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry about the bad joke.

anyway this thread will follow my rebuild of a bachmann 0-4-2 porter, from the standard. to a side tank, with a more "modern" look, with all weather cab.

the plan sounds simple, make a bachmann porter, look nothing like a bachmann porter
how?
a while ago backwoods brought out a side tank kit for the porter, this kit also has a new boiler and smokebox and a PILE of other bits and bobs inc no less then 3 styles of chinmy, 2 stles of domes, end beams, and other nick nacks.

also because i really dislike the 0-4-2 cab style a banta all weather cab was purchased.

and so it began.
stripping down the porter is easy, pull out the sanding pipes, undo 4 scews and the water tank is off, and all though the cab and bunker are ment to be "pull off" mine where stuck in place and took a while to remove.

so changes are needed, that i didnt know where, i.e all the detail has to be removed from bachmanns smoke box to allow the new one to have a tight fit over this took a little while but now gives a nice tight fit.

as ive found with all banta cabs and kits, tip it out the packet at the right angle, when the moons and stars are lined up and it falls together. infact within 2 hours i have a new cab, minus painting/glazing and the roof.

and then the problems started... a real 1st for me, while fettleing the side tanks so that they fit onto the bolier casting level, i noticed the ends of the side tanks where leaning forward, and i could think of a way to over come this with out losing rivet detail, however pete from backwoods was more then happy to replace the parts, but please please d not be put off by this, i have built a number of his kits inc the large centre cab and have never seen a problem with his castings!

and just to add salt to my tea, for some reason the cab floor will not sit level, ive double checked its not the cab, tried the bachmann cab, all the same, im not sure if its porly fitting somewhere, or is just warped, but theres alot of play in the cab floor and the only way i can make it sit stright, is by pushing the front end down (as it was when i got the proter) however this of corse makes the cab lead forward. has anyone else had this problem? if so, how do i fix it? its a rather bit of a pain seeing as it will be as clear as day when i do get side tanks on it as these will be level, and the cab will be leaning to oneside.

pics to follow when we get the camera back.
cheers

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  06:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
maybe time for some pics?

these show it as it was a couple days ago, still not fully striped with the headlamp, and smoke boxdetail to be removed as well as front beam, banta cab in primer, the side tanks sit about level with the bottoms of the windows.

this rather rubbish mobile phone pic shows as it is now, DCC chip one front bean removed (well half of it) and alos shows the best i can get the cab to sit stright, maybe im just being OCD?

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  06:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and as bad as that last pic is, i can assure you the rest of the loco is level, across the tops of the cycliders is spot onwhen on a mirror, and track.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  07:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like it will be a sweet little thing! I am not too fond of the original 0-4-2...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  09:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy - I have the same Banta kit on the shelf, and
a 0-4-2 Porter already dcc'D....will be watching
fore some great ideas....Thanks for the pictures mate!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  10:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,
I have an 0-4-2 that I DCC'd with a Banta cab as well. Looking forward to what other modifications you make to improve the little beast.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  11:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, theres something about the 0-4-2's cab that just dose not look right. and the banta cab is just such a neat little "quick" fix INHO, however, i am really wishing somone would come out with some metal cabs for porters, the thought of all those rivet heads makes me cry, im sure i read that backwoods where planing to make some, but that was in 2008, so im not really holding my breath, maybe when the new DCC ready /sound fitted porters come out.

while waiting for new parts from backwoods. my odd little mind has been at work and have come up with the following.
some kind of tank under the cab floor, not sure what for, but it'll fill the void, and ive seen a tank in that place on other larger porters, this shall be turned on my lathe.
drill holes in cab and fill said holes with NBW castings i did a try with rivet heads, and it didnt look right in my eye.
when i get parts from backwoods i shall fit all the main parts together, i have a funny feeling pete designed the kit with a little extra space between the inside of the tank, and motor, hopefuly meaning unlike DCC-ing a porter with the saddle tank, no grinding and filing away to get wires to fit.

ive also desided i'll make this as an oil burning loco, for the main reason that id like to be able to get away with running this on a clubs logging layout *cough* when we make a good start on it*cough* and my own plans that are a few miles away from logging railroads, midwest narrow gauge short line in fact.. because id like to :D
also think i will use the more modern domes that come with the backwood kit even though they are resin and not the heavy white metal castings that the old style domes are, however, with all the other white metal detal parts, and front and ream beam, crew etc plus any extra weight i can get in, it should be a bit heavyer then the O.G bachmann porter

more to follow when i do the NBWs

n6nvr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  1:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you thought about using the rivet decals?

Don't push me bureaucrat, I've got a bit of hangover

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  09:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have indeed, however i have yet to see them "in the flesh" they do seam very interseting from what ive seen on here

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  08:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i desided to add some NBW castings to the cab, just to give it some extra releaf.

i also thought about what to do when it comes to numbering this loco, and thought id try some new decalls i got that are waterslide. when i did my HO buildings for my iowa layout, i had real trouble moveing waterslide decals onto wood, even painted wood, so, in my head at some point one of the panels got a bit of damage, and the works covered both panels with a sheet of thin metal, on bolted it in place, but i know its because it'll make my job of adding a decal easier, but i would like to try some rub on decals oneday.

all of the NBW apart from on the "metal" panel where lined up by eye, the plastic sheet that i cut to fit the panel was marker and drilled for NBW before i cut iff off the sheet, and glued inplace with ACC

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  11:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
now that parts have landed on my door step, ive been a busy bee.

the backwoods side tank kit goes together really well. took a little work to get it to sit on the bachmann loco ok, even though the instrutions say you can hold the new top down with the bachmann scrws used to hold the bachmann tank i found it far to hard to get a drill bit to all but one, how ever with the nice tight fit over the ground down bachmann smokebox, this seams to hold very well.

all whitemetal parts where primed 1st with a spray can, end beams and chimy where all stuck with 5 min epoxy, this gave me a stong bond, but also around 15mins to play around and get them where i need them to be. all other glue joints where just superglue.

now that im able to fit the cab, and backwoods kit together on the chassis, im starting to get a real feel for this loco, nice and chucky and more bulky that bachmann's poter.
sorry about the bad pics, its getting dark here around 4pm.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  11:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  11:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just catching back up on your progress Andrew. I really like the looks of her. There looks like you have enough room for a 4 wheel trailing/leading truck (possibly a std gauge HO passenger car truck). That could turn her into a sweet little "forney style" and she could run "fore and aft with grace and elegance"...(boy do I miss Dick Andrews!!)....anyway, looking forward to see her with a new pot of paint on her.....tom

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  11:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it did cross my eyes when i started to put it together that there was almost a forney look about it

i need to start looking for a crew. non of the figures i have could pass as crew/ fit in the porter any suggestions?

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  11:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great look, Andy.

Mark

W,L,&E

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  11:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cheers guys.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Custom decals needed Topic Next Topic: Wooden Tunnel Portals  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000