Railroad Line Forums - Hill Valley Coke Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Hill Valley Coke Company
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Vincent Lake Short Line 3rd. Edition Topic Next Topic: Where has al lthe rolling stock gone?
Page: of 31

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  4:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess I will start a thread for my On30 modules. Currently I have two 4'x2' modules .. so I have a 2'x8' layout. I've laid the track which is Peco OO Track .. a main line and a single siding. My plan is to have the siding servicing coke ovens and further down the road a couple of tipples, a washery .. the Hill Valley Coke Company. There will be a higher track that will be On18 (Peco HOn30) which will deliver the coal from the mine.

Edited by - eTraxx on 11/05/2010 05:39:29 AM

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  4:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sprayed the track with some Krylon Camaflogue Brown and then came back with some Rail Brown for the rails. That's actually a Behr sample jar of paint .. you can't beat the price .. take a swab of your favorite color .. they scan it and you get 7.25 oz of paint for $2.94 .. sweet.

Anyhoo. About half of the rail is painted .. but stopped to start on the scenery. I am using a combination of a home-made rock mold and distressing the foam to create rocks. I slapped on a coat of a light tan base color ..

So there you go. A start.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good beginning!!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Oh_Mr_Porter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  4:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovin' the rockface Ed. Looking forward to see much more.

Ian

"The next train's gone"

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  5:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great start, Ed! It will be good to watch your progress. Remember, things go better with coke!

Question, you are using HOn3 track for an On18 line...doesn't that work out to 20" in 1/48?

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  5:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Good beginning!!

Thanks Troels. I have the modules in my bed room so I can jump up .. run over and play anytime I want! What fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Oh_Mr_Porter

Lovin' the rockface Ed. Looking forward to see much more.

Ian .. thanks. I am really surprised at how well the blue foam with a simply flick of a knife blad will look like rock. I'll post some more on that .. pretty sweet.

quote:
Originally posted by MinerFortyNiner

Question, you are using HOn3 track for an On18 line...doesn't that work out to 20" in 1/48?

It's actually more like 17" !!!

Oh_Mr_Porter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  6:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll be interesting to see more detail on your technique. That's a great base color too by the looks of it.

Ian

"The next train's gone"

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ian. I was really surprised at how easy this foam can be made to look like rocks.

The area in this photo are simply a pocket knife inserted into the foam .. and then prying up .. it "POP"s a chunk up. The foam fractures in a very 'rock like' way. I then just took the knife and 'scraped' it across the broken edge which then fractured the edges. Sweet.

The rock color is some of the 'sample' paint from Lowes. Just picked a light color for the rock.

I'm trying a 'shadow technique' I remember from years ago. I brushed on some brown tempera paint ... then sprayed water on to wash it into the crevices etc. Not sure how well it shows up here (and prior photo) .. but you don't want to go nuts with this technique. The next step will be to come back with the base color plus white to highlight. Having FUN!! ha.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  7:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ed
Very nice, what is your plan from here? you gonna keep the desert look? the foam rockwork is pretty good.

Les

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  7:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Les. Donno yet. Kinda just gonna 'go with the flow' .. but .. intend to follow up with earth and vegetation. I'm pretty much just gonna build it up .. from rock, to earth covering then plants etc.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  9:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed,
Good to see you working on your modules. My foam is still just big slabs of pink. You used HOn30 track for the upper line correct? The post above says HOn3 and I want to make sure our modules can still connect.
Larry

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  10:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely a good look to the rock face , Ed . I wonder if you sprayed the tempra with windshield washer fluid instead of water , if it would help the liquid to percolate into the crevaces any better ? I really like the broken strata effect .

Terry

sn3forme
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  02:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Great rocks Ed, very realistic.
I'm gonna have to try that.
Carl

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  04:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, great rockworks...

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  04:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That are some great looking rocks Ed, styrofoam is a great material to work with. Looking forward to more progress pics.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  05:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Ed,
Good to see you working on your modules. My foam is still just big slabs of pink. You used HOn30 track for the upper line correct? The post above says HOn3 and I want to make sure our modules can still connect.
Larry

I went back and changed it Larry, it's HOn30 .. that was just fat fingers. Yeah .. having fun that I finally got started .. got so tired of watching others playing with layouts! :)

Page: of 31 Previous Topic: Vincent Lake Short Line 3rd. Edition Topic Next Topic: Where has al lthe rolling stock gone?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000