Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 280 ]  [ Total: 287 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tim N is our newest member Topic Next Topic: 3 new forum members
Page: of 68

pmmcgraw
New Hire

Posted - 08/03/2019 :  8:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everybody,

I live in McMinnville, Oregon, a smallish town halfway between Portland and the coast, and the :capital; of Oregon pinot noir wine country.

I've loved trains since I was a kid in Southern California, when I took my first train trip, from LA to Oklahoma City via the Santa Fe and the Rock Island. My first model railroad was an oval of Lionel track on an 8・ x 5・ sheet of plywood which my mother had scenicked and on which she had installed a station and several other buildings. It was sitting in front of the tree when I came in on Christmas morning. Naturally I was ecstatic, but the set ended up being kind of frustrating because the steam engine never seemed to work, and eventually I just gave up.

When my son was about 6 or 7 (this was in Chattanooga, TN), I built an HO 9' x 6' oval layout which had a few buildings and a couple of sidings. I put in several buildings but never got around to any scenery.

My current layout fills a large room of what used to be a school, and we are expanding to a second room. "We" are the Polk Station Rail model railroad club, and our building is now the Grange Hall in tiny Rickreall, Oregon. The layout is HO scale with DCC.

Since most club members live around here, Northwest railroads predominate (UP, GN, WP, etc.), but any road is welcome. I happen to specialize in the Rock Island. For a long time I was the only member running any road outside the Northwest, but we recently added a new member who・s a New Haven fan. My prairie railroad looks rather odd running through western mountains but, hey, nobody・s perfect! When BLI came out with its beautiful complete California Zephyr, I just had to have it, so I do have one train that looks right in a Western landscapeXthough I have yet to run it. Until recently I modeled the transition era, because I don・t care for the liveries the RI adopted during the 20 or so years after that, and the final :bankruptcy blue; livery in which the RI went out of business had unhappy associations. Recently, though, I decided that in spite of the sad associations, that livery was really pretty, so I decided it was o.k. to acquire some engines and rolling stock in it, as long as I didn・t run transition-era engines and bankruptcy blue engines simultaneously.

My favorite part of the hobby is running trains, though I・ve gotten more into scenery since I joined the club. I・m still hopeless at the mechanical and electric/electronic stuff, and am lucky that we have several members who are very good at that aspect.

Peter McGraw

Edited by - pmmcgraw on 09/15/2019 8:45:57 PM

hairball
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a former member here MADMIKE3434 and sold off all my kits and model/dioramas back in 2013 after purchasing a 1935 Chevrolet roadster.

When trying to get my previous password could not obtain but your tech magician managed to get me registered again under a new members name and diff email address as all my others were not available to use but we are back and looking forward to contributing.

I have built 389 HO structures dioramas and at #390 built my first O scale. Last diorama I built was #514 a combined tom yorke Feed store and Feed store annex.

I scratch built a lot of wood structures which is my favorite form of modeling. Starting in January 2019 I started scouring ebay for On30 stuff and a lot of On3.

some examples
http://on30center.com/on30/library/articles/madmike.html

mike lynch.

rkovvur
New Hire

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  07:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

I'd like to introduce myself. I am Raj. Iam new member here. I have been dabbling with model trains for about 10 years now, on and off. I only work with HO scale but am now getting interested in ON30. I started with Electric trains, especially the european ones. But now my new crush is the steam locomotive!

I usually try to get old locomotives and try to remotor them with the new types of motors, lighting and electronics.

I am a chip design engineer by day, so I am more fascinated by the electronics side of this hobby. My long term plan is to get a brushless motor working in a ho loco.

I think I like to build the models rather than run them. I dont have a layout and most of model s are always on the shelf

I am quite excited to be on this forum!

Dizzy
New Hire

Posted - 12/15/2019 :  8:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm John Gillespie I reside in Springer New Mexico, I've been modeling for a few years now. Really like to free lance my layout. I'm trying to stay with in the early 1900s. Right now I have a 4x8 for now but hope to expand seeing how I have a whole second floor to work with, modeling in HO series. I really enjoy building from scrap, cant say there's anything I dont like. My set up is DC. Oh yes my dad is Walt Gillespie from Rusty Stumps.

Download Attachment: FB_IMG_1540944345834.jpg
50.22 KB

John Gillespie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2019 :  9:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, John. Name dropping doesn't help around here.

Are you as technically involved as your dad?

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  10:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, John.

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  11:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, john! Enjoy the ride!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  11:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, welcome! Youre modeling an interesting period. Im looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Mike

Dizzy
New Hire

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  6:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by George D

Welcome aboard, John. Name dropping doesn't help around here.

Are you as technically involved as your dad?

George
[/quote
Thank you
He told me to mention it.
No I'm not that involved as he is, I have built a few of his kits and I've done some scratch builds.

John Gillespie

Edited by - Dizzy on 12/16/2019 6:38:20 PM

Dizzy
New Hire

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  6:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Welcome aboard, john! Enjoy the ride!

Pete
in Michigan

Thank you

John Gillespie

Dizzy
New Hire

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  6:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Welcome aboard, John.

Thank you

John Gillespie

Dizzy
New Hire

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  6:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

John, welcome! Youre modeling an interesting period. Im looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Mike

Thank you, I've posted in the scratch build forum. I'm still trying to get the hang of this web sight, it doesn't like to down load my pictures from my camera, so I have to do it a different way.

John Gillespie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  8:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, you're not the first member to have problems posting pictures. Here are some links to good info on posting pictures.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

George

2Tracks
New Hire

Posted - 12/22/2019 :  12:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all.....
And welcome to you newest members also....
Jerry here in Klamath Falls Oregon. Located about 35 miles on the East side of the Cascade Mts., a few miles north of the Californy border.
I picked up my first train set (HO) with track on a piece of 4x8 ply., way back, that's way back, in '66, from a family friend.
Three years ago I had the first real opportunity for a layout. I divided the shop building with a wall and made the back portion the layout room. It is 12x20 ft., walk through door is center of long inside wall. The layout (still HO) is an around the room with a peninsula. I'm modeling the Great Northern Railway on the Gateway subdivision. That was next to the last line that the GN constructed starting around 1923, going from Klamath Falls Ore. to Bieber Cal. The Western Pacific built from Keddie Cal. to Bieber. (that's correct, this is were the famous wye is at, I have been on it several times, and got to explore the remains of the WPs Keddie roundhouse.) Ok, I'm modeling GN freight from late 30s to early 50s, with first gen. EMD Fs GPs & Alco RSs. Running the risk of getting banned here, I don't do steam! Don't have any (just 1), not getting any! I like covered wagons!
The peninsula is split in half, with the logging RR (hence the 2Tracks) starting on an incline on one side of the room around three walls & ending on the other half of the peninsula 8 3/4" above the main level. Other half of pen. is freight yard.
When I got the freight line operational and started doing switching in the yard, I found out that I really enjoy that. So. it's a revamp of the layout. Plans were changed, now there is lower level staging, main level freight operations, upper level logging RR. Currently working on the tear down of the 'ol layout.
The logging RR is the Pacific Lumber Co., that, is were I have the one pieces of steam power, a Rivarossi 2 Truck Heisler.
Building three different levels (with helixes) looks daunting, but then again, when I first started the 'ol layout build, that looked daunting!
My most experience with model RRing is in car building, RTR cars are ok, but I like the variety that kits offer and enjoy the builds. I've installed almost all of the decoders that I have in my motors and am using an NCE PH-PRO-R wireless 5amp DDC system. I've been on this forum a short time and I have already picked up a couple of techniques for weathering & building const. Hope I can offer any assistance when needed...
Have a great day and too all, Holiday Cheer!

my motto-- "The Only Consistence Is The Inconsistency"

Jerry

--The Only Consistency Is The Inconsistency--

ChrisFrissell
New Hire

Posted - 12/25/2019 :  10:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I've been an occasional lurker here for some years, especially checking out some of the 3-ft narrow gauge prototype historical information, and HOn30 modeling projects. I finally decided I should register, especially given this is a fairly happening place for HOn30.

I live in Polson, Montana, USA. I've been in the hobby since about 11 years old, though, with an extended hiatus during my 20s and early 30s. So that spans roughly 48 years or so.

I am a prototype modeler in HO scale of the Northern Pacific Railway, Rocky Mountain Division in 1969. I also have a latent interest in modeling the 1970s Lehigh Valley. Thirdly, I freelance a fictional West Coast 30-inch gauge line in HOn30.

I have a modest layout space available for an NP layout, but have been in a malingering planning stage of activity on that for years. I have managed to complete several dioramas for model photography. And I'm in the early stages of designing a couple of small shelf modules to host my various HOn30 projects. I was infected with Frary and Hayden disease as a kid by the original Elk River Line series in RMC. I was in remission for a long time, but it's come back with a the past couple of years.

I especially enjoy researching, constructing, detailing and weathering rolling stock and locomotives, and photographing them. I love scenery conception and execution, I'm a decent hand at structures, but I'm not so good at track-laying, and suck at electronics. I employ NCE DCC for the HO standard gauge, DC for HOn30. I also do some prototype railroad photography and have had a few shots published.

See you around the place maybe.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

Edited by - ChrisFrissell on 12/28/2019 08:05:07 AM

Page: of 68 Previous Topic: Tim N is our newest member Topic Next Topic: 3 new forum members  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000