Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 61 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Jack Zins and wigertoods21 Join RR-Line!! Topic Next Topic: Sunday Arrivals
Page: of 61

Pokemonprime
New Hire

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  2:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there! I'm Keith from Palm Bay, FL (though I was born in and still prefer Maryland). I've probably only been a model railroader for about a year, but I'm only 14, so I still have plenty of years to rack up. The hobby started with finding some trains at the flea market and saying "Hey, I've always wanted to start a model train layout", and $20 later, it had begun. My railroad is a freelance road, named the Walkersville Northern which interchanges with the Pennsylvania RR and the Baltimore & Ohio. It's set in 1955, and while the geography is very loosely based on Maryland, it models no specific towns. My layout is the standard 4x8, situated in the garage, and I model in HO scale. My favorite part of the hobby has to be rolling stock modeling, by far. I love being able to sit down and weather, paint, decal, and work on a piece of rolling stock. As for least favorite part.... trackwork. Slow, repetitive, and I think troubleshooting electrical problems is a forum of torture in some countries. This is primarily why I'm moving towards using Kato Unitrack for my layout. Finally, my layout is DC controlled. Funds were already tight, tighter now since I'm using Unitrack. Maybe I'll move to DCC in the future, but for now, I'm sticking with DC.

It's A Walk In The Park With The Walkersville Northern!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  8:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Keith. For most of us, trackwork is a skill learned with a lot of practice and troubleshooting electrical problems is easiest accomplished on a plan, before the first wire is soldered. I began learning that when I was a little younger than you, a long time ago. If you've got one of the How To Wire Your Model Railroad books, DC will do fine till you have a big enough layout for multiple operators.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  9:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Keith!

James (jbvb) has some really good advice there. Good luck as you begin your adventure! And if you have questions, feel free to ask!

Pete
in Michigan

Ckellynh
New Hire

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  10:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. My name is Chris. Old timer loving HO scale railroads, never had right combination of time, space and money.

Had railroad 30 years ago. Divorce, railroad dissolved.

Had makings of railroad about 8 years ago. Had house, had an awesome well built table if I do say so myself. Got a digital train set. Got addicted to EBay, but only railroad stuff.

Then...Divorce....

Big change Thank God.

I kept the railroad stuff. Had it well packed in storage, and it includes a digital train set as well as some brand new pieces I had forgotten about.

Setting up shop. Enjoying getting back to it. Looking to go 1930's - 50's Colorado Rocky Mountain region. No set plan. Just gonna take my time and enjoy the ride.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  11:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,
It is great having you aboard. Don't be a stranger.
ed

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  5:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Chris, and welcome to the forum'..Been there, done that. Divorce, best way to loose all your trains'...and plenty of other stuff as well'.... Nothing like a fresh start and a new railroad'..Enjoy building your empire'..You deserve it'..Have plenty of fun'..

1/4 G 48 :<)

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  6:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris and welcome to RRL! Please share your progress with us now that your getting back into it.

As for the divorce, trust me, your not alone. My wife at one point told me I had to choose between her or the railroad. Funny thing is, I don't miss her!

Mark

Gary from kent
New Hire

Posted - 06/28/2017 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon, my name is Gary, and I live in a small village in the beautiful Weald of Kent.

I have been an intermittent modeller for 45 years. Starting with an HO Hornby set on a 4x8 piece of particle board, and then a Bachman Sante Fe N gauge set. I have many metres of unfinished track behind me, and all the MRs back to 1976.

With cupboards full of assembled and unbuilt structures, I finally got going again recently with a downsized concept, which I have named the Practice and Portsmouth. This is to remind me that this version is not a perfect model, but an intermediate step. I have been struck particularly by the way the great modellers on this forum practice a technique off layout before committing, and happily tear down beautiful (to my eye) scenes that are not up to standard.

So it will be with the P&P. I want to learn in particular DCC, backdrops, weathering, painting and wiring that works.

The N gauge Practice & Portsmouth, runs from a harbour scene at Portsmouth NE into Vermont ish. Inspired by B&M, MEC, CV, Rutland, St johnsbury and quarry RRs. It is 1949.

The first scene is a switching puzzle town at 800 mm x 300 mm. If I don't make too many mistakes in the first year I will start a diary to help motivate me.

I have learned a lot as a serial lurker here. I can't believe I will have much to contribute other than perhaps an English product or soulution. Many thanks to contributors.

Regards

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2017 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Gary for Kent'. Any and all contributions you make will be more than welcome'. That's how this forum works. True, their are many master modelers here. However, none are pretentious....and all are happy to share their secrets...So fire away. Your questions will be answered'...

1/4 G 48 :<)

Eauchiche
New Hire

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  09:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning. I just joined yesterday, so I'll do the new member's post:

Where do you live?
I live in Bakersfield, California about an hour from the Tehachapi Loop.

How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
My Dad first got me started in the hobby as a 4 year old. I have had long hiatuses during different times of my life. I got back in this hobby in 2014 scratch building O scale structures of historic buildings, especially Victorian houses. I tried to start a 2 rail O scale layout in my small living room, but found the curves were too tight to run. I switched to 0n30, and am happily running and building. I also operate a business, New Creations Victorian Railroad Buildings," and manufacture O scale structure kits.

Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
In keeping with our climate and terrain, I freelance a layout with a "Purgatory" theme, which also includes interesting rock formations from the Western US.

What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
My favorite part of the hobby is building structures and rolling stock. My least favorite is wiring.

How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
I use Bachmann DCC, and it is VERY satisfying on a layout my size. It is also economical and easy to install and operate.

Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
I run a Hearing Aid department for Costco Wholesale. I speak Spanish and Dutch. I use Spanish frequently at work, and Dutch on VERY rare occasions, although I love that language.
I am involved in lay ministry in and out of my church. I live alone with my two feline helpers, Felix and Midge.

Post your picture - if you dare.
I am VERY low tech, which is kind of strange for a hearing aid guy. When I figure out how, I'll put up some pics.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  12:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is very cool to learn a little bit about you guys, young and older.
ed

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  1:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Alan. A lot of folks here prefer structures and rolling stock to wiring - you'll fit in nicely.

Thanks for taking time to introduce yourself.

George

Corsair
New Hire

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  5:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?

Currently in the process of moving from Golden, CO to the Minneapolis, Minnesota area. Be there next week!

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?

I grew up around the hobby, with my dad maintaining a layout my whole life. I got back into it a year ago, inspired by all the great railroad 'stuff' I saw traveling in Colorado.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?

I'm interested in prototype modeling, especially BN and SP. I'm also freelancing a short line to give more flexibility for skill builder projects

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?

I'm roughly shooting for freelanced coastal Oregon in 1980. I'm having to research the area, but it includes both of the Class 1's I want to model, and allows for fun stuff like switchers hauling logs.

5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?

My new place in Minnesota will have an extra 8' x 10' space and room in the garage for a proper workbench. I'm guaranteed to move again in the next 5 years, so my goal is to build a small, modular switching layout in HO. A large industry or district that can be expanded later.

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?

I like learning stuff and building up detailed models. I spent a few months superdetailing a freelance switcher and decided it was relaxing. I remember a lot of good things about the hobby growing up and I'm happy to find I enjoy it as an adult. I'm still learning everything, so it's hard to say what I like the least. I don't know how to solder and I find that intimidating for some reason. I'm sure I'll get over it.

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?

I really want to try dead rail DCC. This is complicated by my lack of soldering skills, but I built the switcher with Stanton drives. I have a surprisingly generous space to work with. Once I settle and teach myself to stick wires together I will report back.

8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.

I sell dog food so I travel a lot and get to see tons of fun stuff as I journey around. I like to drive so that I can see all the stuff between here and there.

9) Post your picture - if you dare!

Maybe when I figure out the error when I try to upload!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  8:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Corsair. Posting pictures is a little cumbersome. Here's a link to some tutorials on how to do it. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

George

SoCalBobS
New Hire

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  12:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, just joined today. I'm Bob Stinson, and I live in San Diego. I'm retired, and like to play with stuff!In the RR arena, I've been in many niches. My latest efforts have been in n-scale Japanese trains. Now there's a huge field! My earliest train, that I can remember, was a pressed metal HO scale set bought in Spain while my family was there......in 1960!

Anyway, my most recent direction is DCC and On30. Up to now, its all been DC and blocks. Time to go back to school, I guess. I've never had a sound equipped loco, but that'll change soon. My "learner" will be a 0-4-2 Porter. I know myself well enough to say it won't be my last.

Since DCC is all new to me, I'll,undoubtedly be asking newbie questions. Thanks in advance for your patience with me!

Dragging myself into the 21st century.

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: Jack Zins and wigertoods21 Join RR-Line!! Topic Next Topic: Sunday Arrivals  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000