Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew
Page: of 62

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  08:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the RR-L Forums, Vet.

Round To It
New Hire

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  7:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,again. Been away for for too long suffering thru renos. Everything was messed up cant find anything since my workbench was moved down stairs.New laptop to keep up with builds tho

John Kerekes
Calgary

John Kerekes
Calgary Alberta

ChevyCowboy
New Hire

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  02:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good day fellas
My name is Zach. Recently purchased my first house and finally have room again for a new layout.
Havent modeled since I was 14 and only had room for a 4x8 layout in Ho scale. Giving it a shot again N scale. Got free range of the biggest room in the basement (16x18)
But starting off in the backroom which is 9'x18'
Looking at modeling a logging/mining operation with a few shays and heislers! Hope to see more of your guys wonderful photos
Regards, Chevycowboy

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  09:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, welcome back. Your Newcastle Kid user name is still active if you wish.

Zach, welcome to the Forum!

MrGreenDevil
New Hire

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  04:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings and a most kind thank you to all!
It all started when I was 6 and was given a train set (truthfully, it started much earlier) from my grandparents. I was raised in a single parent household until age 8, and this gift was very extravagant for the time. It was the first hobby and love.
Over time, I grew and left the hobby for the usual reasons and after such silly times a young person has, I started building models again. The usual suspects cars, planes and tanks.
Military subjects run neck to neck for me as I'm a huge history buff.
Now at the ripe age of 44, I've officially returned to my love of trains, partly due to a close pal who asked me to weather a 4-6-2 B&O and that old love came back.
I am mostly interested in doing HO scale in as far as my own layout is concerned, but I love all scales.
My goal is to get a start, join a club and do a module and go from there.
My goal for my own layout will be an early B&O in Cincinnati or possibly something narrow gauge in the Appalachians.
Dream layout would be an DRB-52 in Russia, possibly pulling PzKpfw.V Panthers to the battle in Kursk.
Something I love about the hobby, besides the usual aspects is how folks really do love helping and imbuing the spirit that makes our community shine.
I know this is a generic intro, but as time goes by, you'll see my spiritous manner.
I hope I can help others in the process, as well as learning as much as I can and enjoy our shared love of trains and history.
Thanks again,
Auf Weidersehen!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  08:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Michael. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. From what you say about your modeling interests, you'll enjoy it here.

George

Deadwood Central
New Hire

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  4:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All:

I am a long-time model railroader having built my first Lionel layout as a kid about 58 years ago. I was very active in the NMRA and contest modeling while stationed in northern California with the USAF in the 1970s.

In the 1980s I wrote a series of articles on the railroads of the Black Hills (SD) for the "Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette". I worked for the historic Homestake Mining Company in Lead, SD for about 12 years.

Being recently retired, currently I model the Colorado narrow gauge lines on HOn3 and On30.
My layout/hobby room is about 12x12 ft.

I enjoy scratch building structures and kit bashing rolling stock. My least favorite part of the hobby is track laying. I use both DC and DCC as well as on board and area sound systems.

I'm looking forward to interacting with this Forum and contributing where I can.

Scott

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  5:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, welcome to the Forum! I also model in HOn3, but model the logging railroads of Pennsylvania - the Slate Run RR, in particular.

Naseer Ahmed
New Hire

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  11:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings fellow members!
I joined yesterday and jumped straight into the technicalities of double reversing triangles.

George and TD have been very welcoming and here is my first proper post with the answers:

1) Where do you live?
A) I live in Elm Grove, WI a suburb in greater Milwaukee area, the birthplace of NMRA and the host town for the annual trainfest.
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
A)I actually started 4 years ago, but never got to do anything beyond building the modular tables and laying out plans etc. I visited the trainfest that year and fell in love. But last year I went back as a volunteer and learned more so I could boldly experiment with several options. You see , I am an Chartered accountant and electrical/electronics are a challenge for me.
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
A) I actually have a prototype in mind but I am freelancing my layout. I feel intimidated by the prototype which is the Watertown plank road and Mayfair road junction of the Canadian Pacific rail with two tracks crossing each other, one on a bridge that goes over the road traffic which is a bridge over a crossing rail track. Kind of a brigde over a bridge over a railway line.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
A)Nope.. I am just starting out and I prefer the modern era.
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
A) My current layout is a 20 feet long and 4 feet wide with an additional 6 inches for siding, yard and they are all modular in case we move.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
A) Actually several stuff we do appeals to me, the bench work itself, the running of trains, the architectural challenges of bridges. I hate the soldering part of rails as I tend to melt the plastic runners and prefer soldering the joiners to wires and use them.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
A) I am using Digitrax Evolution Duplex which was recently launched with a wireless tether, a 5/8 amps system and I am using most of Digitrax products like DS64 for controlling turnouts, AR1 for reversing sections etc.
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
A) I am 47 years young and have two small kids in elementary school, , so I model during my “spare time” which is mostly nothing to 60 minutes on weekdays and a few hours on weekends. I am all alone in this perhaps in my entire village of 6000 and that is annoying as I am talking to myself all the time. Sometimes I crave company just to throw out ideas and get feedback. I am almost always impulsive but somehow I managed to stick with this for 4 years now and have not given up despite several setbacks and months of no activity. This is my stress buster. I was born, bred and buttered in Madras, India, currently known by its’ vernacular Chennai. Travelled to several cities in India by rail, sometimes days together, longest journey was 42 hours non-stop. I moved to Singapore in late 1997 and lived/worked there till early 2007. Then we relocated to MKE, WI in 2007, the year it snowed 99 inches here. In between keeping my kids entertained by snow, sledding, building igloos, yardwork, gardening, I do MRR which is mostly in winter months.
9) Post your picture - if you dare. I did!

Download Attachment: Ahmed_Naseer.jpg
7.98 KB

Naseer

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  11:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard again, Naseer. Since you can't find any model railroaders near where you live, the RR-Line is a great place to hang out and discuss model railroading.

George

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 03/25/2017 :  12:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time modeler living in Framingham, Mass., and have been in the hobby for 35 years - in fact I had a letter published in MR's old "Student Fare" column in 1985. I've built a few small layouts in N and On30, but am now moving into HOn30. My main interest is the Maine two-footers and I've wanted to model them for a long time, but I am limited to a 8x13 room in my basement. I'm currently working on a new HOn30 shelf layout based on the Maine granite industry, freelanced but mostly following SR&RL practice. Between my job and two young kids I only get a couple of hours a week to model, and my favorite part of the hobby is detailing so the work goes slowly, but I will try to post some reports when I can. My other hobbies include gardening and sailing, hence the user name of "tillerman". I look forward to being part of this community!

-John

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2017 :  08:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Naseer & John, welcome to the Forum, and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourselves.

John, my wife and I rode some of the Maine 2-footers for the first time last September, and had a blast.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2017 :  11:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, John. I went to the museum in Portland last year and I can see why you're interested in the two footers.

George

Flatlander
New Hire

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  11:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello here
My name is Mark
I will be 50 this year
I have been in love with trains my whole life.
I grew up in North Platte and Gothenburg Nebraska before moving to Northern California at the ripe age of 13
I love Ho scale plus narrow gauge.
Also into On30
In addition to running a Hot Rod and Restoration shop, 7 years ago I opened Poggies Train Store in Santa Rosa Ca.
Now I am starting a new home layout based on the industrial grit of New York Harbor
It will be a proto freelance in my garage.
I have been on this forum for years but never joined until yesterday!
So a big hello to all of you!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  12:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Mark. Thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself.

George

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000