Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew
Page: of 62

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill & Chris, welcome to the RR-L Forums. We are glad that you decided to join the crew.

Fyredog45
New Hire

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  5:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm something to consider.
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Chris,

Again, welcome aboard.

That said, you mention getting a lot of old stuff. If any of that old stuff is brass track, consider either mounting it on display plaques to showcase your new scratchbuilt Best-in-Show stuff or melting it down into little nozzle tips to give your fire friends as keepsakes.

Brass is virtually useless as track unless you have Power on Board, also known as "Dead Rail Society" stuff (think "batteries") going. Brass oxide does not conduct electricity well, and even the cheap train sets now contain nickel-silver or steel rail. You'll also find that today's motors and die-work are much better than the 60s and 70s stuff.

And all of that said, it's Your railroad, and You are the only one you have to please with it, so have fun! But you'll have more fun if you're not spending all of your hobby time cleaning the rail to get stuff to run on it!

Pete
in Michigan

apd1004
New Hire

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  10:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit apd1004's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi folks, just came aboard.

Been into model railroading since I was in single digits (1970-ish). Have never had a real layout though or time to work on one due to military, college, work, family, etc. Never really had a spot to set one up either. Retired from military, now within a few years of retiring from my other job, so the time problem is solved. Getting ready to move into my first house with enough room to build a layout so the room problem is solved.

I'm fascinated with passenger operations in the post-WWII era, specifically Cleveland Union Terminal. Also fascinated with railroading along the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland OH. I hope to be able to create a decent representation of CUT and the rail operations along the Cuyahoga River in HO scale.

I've found a wealth of information on this forum so I hope to get a lot of expert advice as I build my layout.

Check out my blog link in my signature.

Cheers

(edit)... BTW, I just threw away several boxes of 1970's era HO scale stuff. Brass track, Tyco stuff.

Modeling the Cuyahoga Riverfront and Cleveland Union Terminal 1940's-50's in HO scale.

http://crookedriverrails.blogspot.com/

Edited by - apd1004 on 09/07/2015 10:08:42 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  08:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Jeff. I can identify with not having room or time until after a military career to get involved in the hobby. Glad you're able to join us.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  09:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, Jeff.

wasjr
New Hire

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  09:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I live in northwest Indiana about 60 miles south and east of Chicago. As many others I suppose, I am getting back into model railroading in my retirement. I have been collecting/accumulating trains for my whole life and even still have my Dad's Lionel trains from the '40s - but the bulk of what I have is modern O scale and also a fair amount of LGB G gauge.

Aside from the "carpet central" layouts in my youth, the only real layout I've had was a large LGB (European style) layout when my kids were young. That was taken down in a move to a new house and then "life" got in the way - again I suppose like many others - raising kids, going to all the school functions, work, travel, etc.

So here I am now, and getting the itch to build something. I joined the forum to gain insight before I plan and build because I really don't have any ideas or rather I don't know if I have any good ideas. So my focus right now is to read and learn, and then decide whether to go with O scale or G gauge, and then what to actually try to model.

One of my immediate problems is that I need to finish the basement before anything. The issue is that I have boxes of trains stacked up everywhere, and need to make room so I can work. This is going to make a tedious job much more difficult, but I am hoping I can knock it out in a year or so (I'm not particularly fast). I hope to end up with at least half the basement available for a layout. That area will be roughly 14' by 25'. This would make a pretty small G gauge layout (my previous layout was about 35' by 40') so I'm already leaning towards an O scale layout.

I like to build, and I also like to marvel at the details of the hobby. For example, I have purchased some Bachmann On30 stuff and also detail kits from Backwoods Miniatures to do some extra detailing. I have probably 30+ craftsman building to build which I most likely will detail and even have some interiors detailing kits (i.e. Berkshire Valley which I understand is now out of business). In contrast, I also like metal buildings from the prewar era of O gauage and have some of that. I intend to go full electronics in control and have Legacy, DCS, and also the Bachmann Spectrum system (EZ something, I don't remember) which I believe is DCC.

So you can see I am all over the place in what I like and have, and again, now I need to read and observe to see what I want to do.

The last thing I might mention is that I am just overwhelmed by the whole project, so my idea is to tackle a small section at a time - especially to see how and where my talents lie. I have no worries about table construction, little worry about the electronics or laying track, but as far as layout planning, or making realistic scenery goes, I worry. The best way I can describe it is that I am not an artist and don't have that "artist vision" but I enjoy the results of what artist does. At any rate, I know I will need a lot of help and guidance when I get to the scenicing phase (God willing I live that long HAHA).

I am looking forward to reading and following along in hopes of not making too many critical mistakes as I like to do things right the first time;-)

Best Regards to All,
Bill

NKP 768
Section Hand

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  1:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow crew members,
Just signed on to this outfit and thought I would introduce myself. Just recently re-entered the hobby after the usual suspects(college,career and kids).
My first train set was the old Cox Empire Builder set(re-boxed Athearn)which still resides on a shelf in the train room complete with the horn hook couplers.
I currently model the Nickel Plate's Chicago Division circa 1952-1964 having grown up 2 blocks from the Nickel Plate's diamond in Argos IN. I just finished
the paint and dry wall in our 15 x 30 out building which will house my recreation of the Nickel Plate's Chicago Division between Chicago and Ft. Wayne In.
For control I am using NCE's DCC system. I am in the process of re-motoring and regearing a number of PFM Berkshires for DCC operation along with adding
brake hangers and updated number boards to the older issues. I currently live in Shelbyville IN with my wife of 31 years, a mixed lab stray(Boy Dog) that adopted us and
Winston(w/an attitude)a Welsh Corgi. Least favorite part of the hobby - after over 70 years of development in the HO world why do we still have cast on grab irons.....

cochise
New Hire

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  3:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. My name is Marsha and I live in SW Michigan. I inherited an HO scale model RR when my brother passed away this past May. I'm hoping from reading and gleaning information from this site I can figure out exactly what it is I have. As I do my research I feel like I'm learning a foreign language :-)

In any case, I'm sure I'll have more questions than information and trust all will be patient with me as I learn.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  5:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, Douglass & Marsha, thanks for taking the time to introduce yourselves to the rest of the crew.

Bill, just think of the big job of finishing off the basement like a lot of little jobs, and tackle one little job at a time. You'll get there.

Douglass, we have a number of Forum members from Indiana, including Jim (Burley Jim) who is quite active here on the Forum.

Marsha, I don't know just where you live in SW Michigan, but unless you are in the exact lower left corner, you live in the North Central Region of the NMRA (National Model Railroad Association). They are an active Region and could be of help to you. I just got back from our son's house in Milford, MI and visited a husband and wife modeling team who lives in Milford. Their names are Jay and Brook Qualman. Jay is a Director in the North Central Region and his wife Brook is a fantastic structure modeler. Their e-mail address can be found in the NCR Newsletter since Jay is a Director. Here is a link: http://ncr-nmra.org/sites/ncr-nmra.org/files/hotbox/hotbox-vol56no3.pdf I am sure that they would be happy to help you any way they can.

cochise
New Hire

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  5:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome and information. I'm west of Grand Rapids near Lake Michigan.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  7:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marsha, you are definitely in the North Central Region, then.

NP2626
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  06:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm N.P. 2626, which was the road number given to the Timkin roller bearing equipped 4-8-4 Northern Demonstrator, the 4 Aces, which the Northern Pacific eventually purchased. I live in central Minnesota, near the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi River. I was involved in both tin plate and Scale model railroading when I was kid, 60 years ago. I got back into it in 1988 and have been building my layout ever since. Originally it was freelanced and called the H.P. & N.W. (for Hard Play and No Work) R.R. I found a Main Streeter Magazine at my favorite hobby shop, the magazine of the Northern Pacific Railway Historical Association, which triggered my interest in what was one of my local railroads here in MN and decided to drop the HP&NW free lance and go after some reality and model the N.P. Other than the names along the line and the locomotives and rolling stock, no actual places or trackage of the N.P. have been modeled. I am a long time member now of the NPRHA. I model in HO and my layout is very heavily influenced by John Allan with lots of trestles, bridges, mountains, steeper grades and tunnels.

Lately, I have been very interested in Colorado Narrow Gauge and in particular the Rio Grande Southern. I looked into tearing out my present layout and switching to N.G.; however, decided I am too slow a builder and what I have built so far (other than being standard gauge) is essentially like narrow gauge in setting. Where I to start over again, I would build in Sn3. At 65 years young, it would seem rather foolish to start a new project as I don't even buy green bananas, anymore! So my interest in the RGS will simply be collecting books about that line.

Edited by - NP2626 on 11/01/2015 07:11:20 AM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  11:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Mark. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

George

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, first welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your work and comments. As far as running NG, you can always do three rails, and then as time permits build into NG. Also, almost anything structure wise will fit from the DDRG to the RGS settings using a bit of modelers license. That's what I do.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

NP2626
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  5:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hon3 rr, my interest in Narrow Gauge also includes a shift in scale, so adding a third rail just won't do the trick. My narrow gauge venture will be limited to reading about it and I'm good with that! Thanks for the welcome, though!

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000