Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew
Page: of 62

Kedes
New Hire

Posted - 06/20/2015 :  7:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am Larry Kedes. I live in Los Angeles. I model in HO gauge and am building a home layout. I am an active member of the Glendale (CA) Model Railroad Society and the NMRA. My layout is proto-freelance depicting what might have happened had a railroad been built to connect Bakersfield to Ventura CA and then down the coast through Malibu to the Port of Los Angeles and connections in LA to points east. The room size is 15x17, the layout is single deck, DCC controlled. All track is laid except for a major yard representing the city of Oxnard which in my world has become the major metropolis and shipping port in Southern California. The era is late transition but, in an alternative reality railroad, who knows what "modern" equipment might show up in 1960? The layout design is heavily focused on operations and I envision 4-5 crews when we get up and running.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2015 :  7:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Welcome to the Forums! Enjoy the ride, and feel free to chime right in!

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  08:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, Larry!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Larry. Thanks for the introduction. Your layout sounds interesting. You should post some pictures of it.

Mark

Dwight Ennis
Section Hand

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  10:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dwight Ennis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings All,

My name is Dwight, I live in Morgan Hill, CA, and I'm new here.

Two things I can remember loving for as far back as my memory goes (around 3 years old in flashes), are trains (specifically steam trains), and Superman, and I get as big a charge out of both of them today at 64 years old as I did when I was 3!!

When I was 3 and 4, we lived in MD right on the Susquehanna River, and the mighty Pennsy's mainline came practically right through our back yard. I used to take 3' wide butcher paper, draw tracks on it, and push my small die-cast trains around it. I also played with my dad's Lionel set-up in the attic.

I got my first electric train set when I was in the 3rd grade - a "Tyco 0-4-0 Shifter" set. I've been doing Model Railroading, on and off and in one form or another, ever since.

I've modeled in HO, HOn3, limited On30, and 1:20.3 - first in electric and then in live steam. I've also built and own a 1/8th scale 7-1/2" gauge coal fired 1875 4-4-0.

I'm a builder more than a runner, and my first love is building wooden structures, either from scratch or from craftsman kits (FSM, Campbell's, etc.) I'm currently building an HO scale Inner City Transfer Line switching layout, and planning to take my first step into Operations with car card and waybill car forwarding.

Happy to be here!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  07:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Dwight, and thanks for telling us a bit about yourself. Feel free to jump right in on any thread.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  6:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, my name is Kumar.
Ive been hovering around the forum for a few years and decided recently to take the plunge and participate.
I live in Mill Valley, Marin County in Northern California. Im originally from England but came to the US for college nearly 20 years ago. After college I stayed in the Bay Area and began work as web developer (my current occupation).
I have been interested and fascinated (and obsessed) with trains since around 8 years old when I first read the Thomas the Tank engine series at my local library. Soon after that I became a fan of the Great Western Railway and chose to model a little GWR branch line.
The big change in my modeling life came when I came across a copy of an American model railroad magazine. On the cover was a scene from the Virginian and Ohio. I must have been 14 or 15 years old at the time but from that moment on I became hooked on American railroading. This fascination both with the V&O and US trains in general continues to today.
The hobby lay dormant for many years but then a few years ago I discovered a website that kick-started me back into the hobby. This was the micro layouts site by Carl Arendt. I realized that having little space for a layout was no longer an excuse for doing nothing and I thereafter I took the first steps to towards modeling again. Im just about finished with my first effort and Ill post some pictures at some point soon.

Anyway to the questions:
1) Where do you live? Bay Area (Mill Valley), California
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? - Got interested as a teenager then restarted about 4 years ago
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Freelance based on prototype
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? I love all railways in all countries, USA being my favorite but I also have a long list of foreign prototypes I would like to model.
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? Its mini layout larger than a micro around 6x2. I model in HO but prefer O and will probably do a genuine micro in O scale at some point.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Tracklaying, track design and track landscaping is my favorite part of the hobby. Creating backdrops are my least favorite.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? DC
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know. Im just a regular train nut. I travel once a year across the country on train (by myself). Last year I went from Oakland to Chicago, This year it will be LA to New Orleans. Married with a daughter.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 07/22/2015 7:33:28 PM

CPRail43
New Hire

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  02:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow modelers! I'm Braedan Dunne, hailing from Lethbridge, Alberta Canada, home of the Lethbridge Viaduct, the largest steel trestle bridge of its kind in North America and arguably the world.
I'm an HO scale modeler, who has been in the hobby for just under 3 years now. I've actually been longer, but off and on, and not as serious. I was introduced to the hobby when I was about 3 or 4, and didn't get my own "train set" until I was 7. When I last got back into the trains, I was more big about it than ever before. And that was my initial start into the hobby, since I considered it more a toy before.

My layout is a fictional CP/CN interchange. I'm modeling in the 2000-2010 era, for the larger variety of power on both CP and CN, plus the power on other railroads that are commonly seen on the two Canadian giants. The main part of my layout is squeezed onto a 42"x96" table with an extension for a yard that hasn't been measured. I'm still in the planning process for the layout, even though it's currently finished for now.

I love the detailing aspect of the hobby. I enjoy all the detailing, scratchbuilding, kitbashing, weathering, decaling, and painting. When I say this, I'm talking most directly about the locomotives and rolling stock. When it comes down to the complicated wiring involved in many areas of the hobby, I begin to look for ways to get out or find short cuts. I dislike the confusing wiring and all the components, even when I'm a fairly "techy" guy.
I run on DC power for now, which keeps the wiring down at least. I do want to switch to DCC asap, but I just don't have the money to go toward it yet.

As for me, I'm basically just a normal 17 year old. Into cars, raunchy music, and the rest of that jazz. What separates me from other teens is my liking for trains, and that I'm a more respectable dude than most. At least I try to be
I love the mountains, so I enjoy camping, trips into British Columbia, and the real scenic spots for railfanning. I'm also a rail photographer. Just the typical railfan to most.

My goal on here is to be just like most other members. To learn a few tips, share a few of my own tips, as well as share photos of my stuff on and around the layout! Thanks for letting be a part of the crew and I look forward to getting started!

Braedan D
Lethbridge, Alberta

Edited by - CPRail43 on 07/19/2015 02:58:19 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  07:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar & Braedan, welcome to the Forum. We hope that you enjoy your time here!

writerdoug
New Hire

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  11:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning -
I live in Southern Indiana. My grandfather worked on the Madison Hill of the Jeffersonville, Madison and Indianapolis RR after WWI. While I know several enthusiastic hobbyists, I don't personally pursue model railroads.
I've come here in search of information - I'm writing some stories about a fictional short line being built in the late 1870's early 1880's, and in particular I'd love to have some information on how small timber and stone trestles were commonly built during this time period.
There seems to be a lot of knowledge here, and I'd love to have some dialog, either in a forum or in private messages or emails.
Thanks
Doug Brougher
Elizabethtown, IN

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  12:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Doug (and greetings to Braedan, Kumar, Dwight and Larry). Doug, there's knowledge to be tapped, but you need to put a bit more of a frame around your 'short line' to get good answers about that era: Bridges were transitioning from wood and stone to wrought iron and steel. A well-capitalized road within a reasonable distance of steel mills and good native stone might not have used wood at all. A really hardscrabble endeavor might have stuck to wood to minimize costs.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  3:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Larry, Dwight, Kumar, Braedan and Doug. You guys have a nice variety in interests and experience and should fit in very nicely.

George

writerdoug
New Hire

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  11:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, jbvb. You actually hit the nail on the head - in the piece I'm working on the short line is a low budget affair, and I want them to use timber and stone instead of a steel "kit" (I'm sure that's not the correct terminology.)
What I'm really struggling with is - how many men might have been on a project like this, and what sort of timeline would they be one, and most important, would the bridge be built prior to the arrival of the track crew - how much of the construction would be done before the track laying arrived at the site?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  08:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doug, this kind of detail about railway construction frequently appears in Railroad History, the journal of the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society. You can also find it in histories of early railroads; most of those in New England had something published in the 1900 - 1920 era, though these books have largely been purged from all but the biggest and most history-minded libraries.

One contractor might build the entire line, or it might be divided up among smaller contracts covering between 1 and 10 miles of line. Single contractors sometimes employed between 500 and 1000 men, but a smaller contractor might put between 50 and 200 to work on a given section. If the area was settled, with existing roads or navigable waters, bridge work would commence early on, particularly stonework, which was slow and expensive - the 'gold standard' of bridging in that era. In unsettled areas, the crews clearing the land typically made a trail, which the grading crews turned into a road over the roadbed, with bridge work following along not far ahead of the rail/tie gang.

Another point to consider is where your fictional short line is relative to the introduction of dynamite in construction, which would be some time after 1867 depending on location. Reliable all-weather blasting brought major changes in RR construction.

Edited by - jbvb on 07/22/2015 08:54:29 AM

writerdoug
New Hire

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  1:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, jbvb. The journal references have been really helpful, and I'm hoping my county library reference desk can help me with some copies. There are two I'd love to read, "A History of the Development of Wooden Bridges" and "American Wooden Bridges."
But really its the anecdotal facts like you mention that are the most helpful. My piece isn't actually about building the bridge, but all the characters are in the town and the story because they work for the railroad, and they're in the town just temporarily while the bridge is under construction. The story is all around the bridge and so getting the little details straight is important to me.

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 8.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000