Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: RexsDad ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member
Page: of 61

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  07:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Dan. The only MKT photos I ever took were in that era, in the Dallas suburbs in 1984. Not many and not very good, though.

royhoffman
New Hire

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  08:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit royhoffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?
Letterkenny, PA

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
I started in 1952 with an American Flyer train set.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
The S portion is freelanced and the Sn3 portion is based on the East Broad Top

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
I Model Eastern and Central PA and Southern NJ
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
29' X 45'
S and Sn3
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
Favorite is scenery and least favorite is maintenance

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
DCC and DC depending on the section

8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.

I'm a retired computer programmer and like to do websites.

9) Post your picture - if you dare.
I'm thinking about it <LOL>1) Where do you live?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  4:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dan & Roy,

Welcome to the Forum!

Dan, I enjoyed the photo of your layout.

Roy, my wife and I had the pleasure of visiting your layout at the recent MER Convention. (I'm the guy who used to work in Ramsey, N J.). I actually posted a few photos of your layout here on the forum at this link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43826&whichpage=1

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

fwms
Section Hand

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  10:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know if I should 'reply to topic' or 'start a new topic'. So here we are.

I'm Fred Williams and I live in Clayton, NC a small community outside of Raleigh.

Two 1/2 years ago I found myself in a Hobby Shop “just looking”. And there it was, the train Dad had given us kids some 60 years earlier (well it look very much like it anyway). It was a Lionel train set and suddenly I found myself in front of the sales counter, train set in hand asking “how much”. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Six months later a friend from England send me a 00 Gauge engine with a suggestion that I try my hand at modeling something around it. Do you see the trend here? Trouble was I had an existing project, a 1937 Hot Rod, and it was slowing but surely draining my hobby budget. Three months ago I finally sold that car but then I needed a new car. Well most of you know how the rest of this goes so I won't bore you.

Because of space consideration and availability of stock I've opted for a HO layout (the Lionel will go around my grandchildren's Christmas tree in hopes of instilling their future interest). I have no theme as I’m still new and collecting sort of haphazardly right now. But I do have a beginner's track plan that should provide me with skill sets for the next layout - if time doesn't run out on this old man (as you get older you sometimes think of when it’s your turn).

Fred

"It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old - they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams" Gabriel Garcia Marques

Edited by - fwms on 11/07/2014 10:54:03 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  12:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, Fred. I know what you mean about the way you view life as you get older. Now when I buy a kit, I wonder if it will end up in "the estate sale".

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

fwms
Section Hand

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  2:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I like it!

Fred

"It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old - they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams" Gabriel Garcia Marques

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  7:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody.
1. Tucson, Az.

2. I modeled in HO for about five years until a move in 1993. Two childhood friends and a cousin had Lionel layouts. I also was inspired by my home town railroad (Grand Trunk).

3. After 3 months, I am at the end of the research and design phase. Next step is to lay out a 1:1 plan in the room for the benchwork. (I bought the rolling stock and track already, but all my "do-overs" have been on paper so far.) Before I freelanced. This time I am modeling a prototype.

4. I picked the Arizona Eastern R.R. in 1920 where it interchanges with the Ray & Gila Valley R.R. It is a 22-mile section of Sonora desert mainline in a narrow river valley with 11 stations, running unit copper ore trains to the RayCon mill at Hayden under an agreement with Ray Consolidated. The Ray & G.V.R.R. uses steam locos at Ray (staged) and electric at the Hayden smelter (modeled).

5. 13.5' x 13.5' room. On30. I switched from HO to O scale to make model making easier on my hands and eyes. I am using short cars and narrow gauge track to keep a smaller footprint like HO.

6. I like operating most, especially industrial switching. To me building benchwork and road bed is a necessary chore to get to the fun stuff.

7. Before I used 2-cab block control. This time I am using DCC.

8. I enjoyed researching Arizona history and mining as much as prototype railroads. I picked a prototype and area that matches my hobby style: two much track in a small space, in an awkward configuration, with lots of traffic. I like good looking models as much as anyone, but I favor a realistic model of the operation over a plauseable-looking layout--if I can't have both. The prototype history for the Florence to Christmas section of the line is fascinating and featured in Railroads of Arizona, Vol. II by David F. Myrick.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  7:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Bob. As you can see, we have a large following of On30 modelers here in the Forum. I'm sure that you will feel right at home here.

Bruce

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  10:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've only seen photos of US electric mining roads, but I did see a steam/electric narrow gauge iron ore road in China - pretty neat.

Dunks
New Hire

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  10:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dunks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having lurked for a while, I have finally made my maiden post, so I suppose I ought to put one here, too!

I joined this forum as I wanted to get in touch with Steve Flanigan (Leeflan), which I did, but I say that so you all know who to blame.

Anyway, here goes.

UK-based, approaching 50. Lifelong interest in model railways and the real thing (to a lesser extent, actually) - unlike many, I never left due to wine, women or song, finding it very easy to accommodate all three with my very low rate of production.
I have two major prototype interests. One in the UK, the East and West Junction Railway, and one in the US: the Central of Georgia's subsidiary shortlines, the W&T, the WS, L&W and SC - hence the contact with Steve. My plans are to "proto-freelance" an extension of the L&W. The layout will occupy a UK garage, slowly being converted to model railway use, slightly less than 17 feet long by 9 feet wide - with protrusions into that space precisely where I don't want them! I work in S scale, because I like the size and because I don't want much by way of equipment on my road. I enjoy most parts of the hobby, most of all just pottering about. I have a small lathe (Unimat SL).
Having used DC and tried DCC, I am heading towards radio control: this may be using DCC, or simple direct control. Battery power will be used. I just wish its advocates wouldn't use so much jargon!

Now, about the wine, women and song bit... truth is that I do like a glass of decent wine, but also proper beer, whisky, rum, etc, but only in moderation. Women? Married (over 19 years) with children (one teenage daughter, and a son with a way to go yet). And the song? Well, I was in a couple of bands. Nothing in anyway more than obscure, but my "vocals" (best not to call it singing) were once favourably compared to Lou Reed, as in, "You've got a better dead-pan than Lou Reed." I have always taken it as a compliment, but others are free to differ, especially those who were subjected to it all those years ago...

Picture? You don't deserve such inhuman treatment...

Regards,

Simon

Edited by - Dunks on 11/18/2014 10:50:28 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  10:54:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to RRL Roy, Fred, Bob and Simon. Thanks for your introductions and I look forward to seeing your layouts evolve here on RRL.

Mark

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  11:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Dan, Roy, Fred and Simon.

Roy and Simon, we don't have many modelers in Scale and it will be interesting to see what you guys are doing.

George

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  2:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

my name is Frédéric. I'm a french living in Germany, yet my family's home of choice is the Bretagne (western France, south of the Channel) - hence my Nickname.
Since I got my very first starter-set with an LGB's Stainz steam loco in 1986, my father and I have built up some nice garden layouts. Currently we're running more than 3 scale miles of track running on old-fashioned DC. However, my parents have moved to France, so with a solid 1,000 kms distance between me and the layout, I'm about to launch some small projects of my own.
I would like very much to share them here and in return get some much-needed help. My great love is with the U.S. industrial and logging themes from the late 19th century and I would like to build up a layout and rolling stock along those lines, while my father is definitely the freelance type.

When it comes to scale and focus, I'd like to stay with the 45mm tracks, so I can take my locos and waggons to my father's layout. Scale-wise, I'm aiming for Fn3, 1/20.32 with R/C operation.
In the last years, I've supered and enhanced some LGB models. Now I want to do the next step and enter the scrath-built realm. I very much hope to find in these forums a place where I can share my work and get some advice and help. I've been scared away from other forums because of the harsh and élitist reactions towards newcomers. So far this place seems quite friendly and I hope I can contribute to this atmosphere.

Anyway, that's me on the modeling front. Wine: Anti-alcoholic, but I do enjoy my teas. Women: Got the finest one, don't need to look for another. 2 cats joined the fray a month ago. No kids yet. Song: I play the piano and listen to Jamie Cullum, Floggin Molly, Queen and a variety of nice music.

Best regards,

Frédéric

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  4:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon and Frédéric,

Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourselves to the crew. We do indeed believe that we have a friendly forum here, so jump right in!

Bruce

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  11:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Frédéric and welcome to RRL! You've found the right place. Lot's of talent here for advice you may seek, and lots of others here who simply enjoying seeing what others have done, so jump right in!

Mark

Page: of 61 Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000