Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Jack Zins and wigertoods21 Join RR-Line!! Topic Next Topic: Sunday Arrivals
Page: of 61

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  07:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron & Thayer,

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for taking the time to post to the Intro thread!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

BenR
New Hire

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  03:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya, I'm Ben from Oakland, CA. I guess I first started when I discovered a small, mish-mash, 4x8' layout in a room of my grandparents house. Since then I've always wanted a layout (unfortunately I don't have the space, yet). So, instead of building a layout, as a kid I built mostly plastic models of cars, planes, etc. I acquired a couple pieces of rolling stock, my favorite being a HO scale Walthers DD40 (I keep telling myself I'll super detail it someday!)

For quite some time I had no area at all to do any modeling, as well as a career to build (I.e. no money) and so on and so forth, though I'd get little bits and pieces here and there. Currently I've gotten myself a small space all to my own in the corner of my wife's art studio and am exploring On30 ever since I discovered 0-4-0 Porters and various micro-layouts as inspiration. There was a particularly good one in an issue of RMC magazine, though I can't remember the exact one at the moment.

txdyna65
New Hire

Posted - 07/04/2014 :  06:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello my name is Kenny and Im from Texas. I found this forum seeking information on how to do water, stuck around, lurked and read alot and decided to join. I really like alot of the areas here, some really talented people here. Anyways,after not having trains since I was a kid I bought a 16X32' building and finished the inside of it and have been working on the layout for about 2 1/2 years now. Im using a NCE ProCab radio DCC system and really love it as does my wife and daughter. I dont post alot, mostly read and try to learn, but I will try to participate, thanks for having me.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2014 :  07:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben & Kenny,

Welcome to the Forum. We hope that you enjoy your time here.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

sgtreef
New Hire

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  6:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Hi all.

I use to do ho scale have a bunch put up.

But now into 1/6 scale, and looking for any plans , also looking for a plan on A German flatcar, so I can mount a Flak 38 on it.

Thanks.

Also have a set of G scale.

Jeff

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  10:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm a retired miner and mechanic and have taken up smaller, lighter hobbies since my back surgery last fall. I am interested in 1:24 models, G scale (45 mm) and Gn15 but enjoy looking at all kinds of models and scales. Hoping to learn and contribute when I can.
I am modeling in 1937, with logging, mining and general small town stuff in mind. No layouts yet. I don't have much space for layouts so modular will be my main mode.
Thanks for letting me join in on the fun here.

Ken

Edited by - nevadablue on 07/27/2014 10:49:05 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  07:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Jeff and Ken. Thanks for taking time to introduce yourself.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  08:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff & Ken,

Welcome to the Forum!

Bruce

jmiller320
New Hire

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  10:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live? I live in Havre de Grace Maryland

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
I have been in the hobby since I was a child. I received a Lionel O27 set for my 8th birthday and set up a floor layout in my room and around the Christmas tree. Some time in my teenage years my mother gave my toys and trains to the poor kids at church. My cousin that lived across the street had a HO train set and together we worked on a 8 X 12 L shaped layout. For some reason we never seemed to get it finished beyond getting the track down and painting the board. Tragically his basement flooded and so did the railroad. When I got older (about 22) I started building an HO layout. I built a platform that was 12X16 and had finalized the track plan and was able to run trains and start to add scenery. I had accumulated about fifty pieces of rolling stock and ten locomotives. I bought a house and had to dismantle the layout to move to the new location and never had the time or space available in the basement to get it set back up. I ended up selling everything to a co worker so he could give them to his kids. Around this time I rediscovered n-scale and started buying Micro Trains and Atlas locomotives and track. I had this idea that I could build a large layout in a small space. I knew I wouldn’t be in the old house forever and planned to build my dream house with a big basement where I could build my layout. I kept picking up rolling stock and put it in the box with the rest. in 1998 I finally had the house built, about ten years longer then I planned. I reserved a 15X28 foot area in the basement for my train layout. I started constructing the bench work and built a E shaped platform 24X12 and put down track. I ran a few trains on the track plan and was never quite satisfied. The layout sat for a while unfinished while I worked on other projects like finishing off the main portion of the basement and being set over to Afghanistan and Iraq. While deployed I would think about changes to the layout and when I returned home I took everything apart and that’s where it stayed, packed up in boxes. About five years ago I went to York Fairgrounds to attend a gun show. I must have had the wrong date as there was no gun show, but a train show was there. It was the Large Scale Train Show and I got back in my car and started to leave when I change my mind. It had been over ten years since I had been to a train show, so I decided to go in and have a look. That’s where the O-scale bug bit me. I was fascinated by the style and detail and the fact that I could actually see the train through my 52 year old eyes and the cost was close to what I was paying for n-scale.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
Currently I am doing a freelance layout.

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
Most of my rolling stock has Union Pacific on the side. My first locomotive I bought was a UP 4400 and the next was a Big Boy. I always loved the Big Boy since the days when my cousins Aunt bought him a HO version.
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
My layout room is 28 X 15 and I have built a walk in upside down G shaped double tracked layout with O84 and O72 loops.

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? I like to run the trains. Crawling under the layout is the least favorite.

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? I plan to used DCS.

Jim Miller

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  8:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Ken, Jeff and Jim and thanks for your introductions. Don't hesitate to jump in and join in on some conversations.

Mark

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  9:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Jim. I think a lot of us have a similar Lionel train set story in our past.

George

GregW66
New Hire

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  7:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow model rails! Name is Greg Williams, GregW66 here and on the Model Railroad Hobbyist forums/blogs. I have a few postings there that I might repost here. Right now I am getting into DCC and calling on my old skills as an electronic technician.

I am married with 5 kids, all but 1 have left the nest. I live on the Western edge of New Brunswick, Canada very close to the Northern Maine border. I have a shipping address in Maine which makes buying trains online easier!

I have a typical story. My father was a model rail and got me into the hobby young. I left the hobby in my late teens and returned in my 30s. I was fairly active and building a layout when a job layoff resulted in starting my own consulting business. I then chose to work on my Masters degree and just finished that up in the spring. Here we are, on the cusp of fall and my thoughts have turned toward trains.

I just bought an NCE DCC system to run my small switching layout I have planned. I am returning to my electronics roots and having fun installing decoders and learning the intricacies of DCC. My interests also include painting and detailing diesels and building craftsman kits. I hope to get into all those things this coming fall and winter.

Well that is more than enough to tell you all on a first post so I’ll sign off. Oh, I should mention that I model in HO and my favorite railroad is the Canadian Pacific. I have no preferred era and enjoy trains and models from all eras. That’s a problem but I hear admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Cheers and Happy Rails to you all

GregW66

Edited by - GregW66 on 09/02/2014 7:37:08 PM

TrainsmyHobby
New Hire

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  5:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Send TrainsmyHobby an AOL message  Reply with Quote
1) HI all I live in Benoni a city 25 miles east of Johannesburg, and 2 miles from the Main Airport in South Africa renamed Oliva R Tambo

2)I was introduced to model trains by my father who was a American and South African Steam train aficionado, as well as the official LIONEL TRAINS repair representative in South Africa, and taught me how to build scratch models,and all modeling techniques, soldering and building in brass.

I started HO model railroading in 1963, with the early Mantua and Athearn rolling stock as at the time the South African Railways Locomotives and rolling stock where were the same as the American railways.

3) I model a mythical bridge railroad between the NYC, MOPAC and UP, this came about due to the Mid 1960 Mantua, then Tenshodo,United, and Hallmark brass locomotives that were readily available at the time, and of course the Athearn Blue Box and Roundhouse Kits.

4) I model the NYC water level route connecting with the MOPAC and UP.
The geographic region goes from East Coast to Mid American then on to the Mountains of the Western USA. the Railroad is based on the transaction period 1925 era to the demise of Steam up to 1965 the complete Dieselization of the American railroads.

5) My Layout is being built in a 50X20ft railroad room on top of my garages, the real Estate was donated by my wife of 40 years "Marianne"
I model in Ho scale.

6) I like all the facets of model railroading, I suppose from having to spent hours, a labor of love to get "Brass" to run well, and the actual hands on that is needed for our hobby.
What I least enjoy is the fact that the newer models, Bachmann, Proto 1000&2000 now Walther's, have the gear problems due to inferior nylon used in the gears, that all now starting to crack on the axles due to shrinkage.

7) I only use DCC and am now busy fitting Sound to all the older models.

8) About me I am a 73 year old retired Airline Training Captain,having flown most all of the older generation aircraft, DC3,DC4,Convair 440 B707.737,747, the only problem that was my career kept me away from home a lot and my passion MODEL RAILROADING.
To keep feeding the hobby I have now joined RE/MAX as a Intern Relator, and most important I have been married to my wife "Marianne" for 40 Years

9) Post your picture - if you dare. Would like to advise how??

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  10:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Greg. My last trip to New Brunswick was when the Hub Division layout appeared at the convention in Saint John, but I have some great CPR and CN slides from the mid '80s.

Welcome, John. A couple of other South African modelers are active on RR-Line, and a good number of transition-era modelers. This thread explains how to post pictures: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749
The most important thing to remember is that the forum will reject files bigger than the limit, but you won't be able to tell that from its error message.

luis_lopes
New Hire

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  08:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit luis_lopes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

This is the first post I make here.

My name is Luís, and I live in Lisbon, capital city of Portugal.

I am a new modeller in H0, done plenty in N scale (European, Japanese and American)

1) I live in Lisbon, capital city of Portugal

2) I am a modeller since 2000. Started because I already was into trains, and found a 2nd model...

3) Still making up my mind...

4) Still making up my mind on this too...

5) at the moment, it's a shelf layout, with 2922 x 400mm, in H0.

6) Everything is excelent: the reasearch, the planning, building, running trains...

7) DCC!

8) I work in a train shop here... And I studied computer programming! This is how hard I love this hobby!!

9) Not a problem - I am the first guy on the right:

Thank you for the time you took reading this.

Edited by - luis_lopes on 09/09/2014 08:35:30 AM

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: Jack Zins and wigertoods21 Join RR-Line!! Topic Next Topic: Sunday Arrivals  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000