Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew
Page: of 62

IndyCity
New Hire

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  3:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George.

Yes, as most on my layout is it scratchbuild.

a view of the backside of that background building.

Joerg

cn-scale
New Hire

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  9:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cn-scale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone - thanks for the warm welcome. I’m from Ottawa, Canada; I’ve been lurking around here for quite a while and thought it was about time to “step out of the shadows”. I’m currently working on a 16x3’ N-scale layout representing a freelanced CNR division point set sometime in the mid-20th century. I quite enjoy building stuff and haven’t been in a rush to get anything finished. The track is almost complete (code 40 handlaid) and lately most of my time is spent kitbashing and scratchbuilding structures, while trying to develop some scenery expertise. (http://theothersideofthe.net/ojnrr/ , if you’re curious)

I got started in the hobby building HO craftsman kits as a teenager (as a step up from model cars and planes). I still have most of them (and probably a few unbuilt) in a closet somewhere. I’ve also had a soft spot for narrow gauge ever since being given a copy of “Maine Two-Footers” many years ago, and for logging and rustic shortlines in general, especially the highly detailed representations that are possible in larger scales. Hence my presence here on this forum - following all these spectacular modelling threads is the ‘fix’ I need to avoid having to start a second layout...

(Now let's see if I can figure out how to post an image) - here's my trackplan:

Edited by - cn-scale on 04/23/2014 10:04:11 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  10:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, Chris. Thanks for telling us about your interests.

Bobhmg
New Hire

Posted - 04/26/2014 :  4:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all thought I would introduce myself
1) Where do you live? Orlando Florida
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? As a child with my father modeled HO scale. Recently at 52 went antiquing and found an old Marx and American Flyer set. That is all it took. Now have a O27 and S Scale combined layout trying to do as it would have been in the 50's. Also have started a 4x8 N scale layout. The N Scale will be my modeling layout.
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Freelance
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Trying to stay around the 50-60's era for the N scale.
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? O27/S 7X8, N 4X8
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Just love playing with trains. Can't say there is anything I don't enjoy.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? Currently DC but hoping to go to DCC for the N scale. Just can't seem to make the decision. Seems a little challenging.
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know. Not a great modeler but I try. Really enjoy the tips in this forum. Will take a while before I am brave enough to post any pictures.

Bob

If you want to see how others answered the questions, the last thread is here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8297&whichpage=1

jefbar
Section Hand

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  2:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just joined and have enjoyed reading through the topics. I look forward to getting great ideas and inspiration from all. As my introduction, I'll just answer the questions posed.

1) Where do you live? SPRINGFIELD MISSOURI
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? I REALLY JUST STARTED WITHIN THE YEAR. I FOOUND A SET THAT FITS MY HISTORICAL INTEREST AND HAVE BEEN ENGULFED IN IT SINCE.
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? basically BOTH. I HAVE A LOVE FOR THE CIVIL WAR, SO I AM WORKING TOWARDS THE SOUTHERN RAILS IN THAT ERA, BUT KNOW MY LIMITATIONS, SO AM NOT GETTING FIXATED ON EXACT LOCATION OR LINE, JUST AN ERA THEME.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? ANSWERED ABOVE.
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? WORKING ON HO. I DO NOT YET HAVE A LAYOUT, JUST PLANNING STAGE RIGHT NOW. HAVE BEEN INTO THE MODELING SIDE SO FAR, SUCH AAS STRUCTURES AND ROLLING STOCK. BEGINNING TO SCRATCHBUILD NOW.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? NO LEAST YET, BUT I AM ENJOYING THE ART PART OF IT RIGHT NOW.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare I WOULDN'T SUBJECT YOU TO THIS

Jeff

Edited by - jefbar on 05/22/2014 3:21:41 PM

Steve Smith
New Hire

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

The name is Steve Smith and I hail from South Africa.

1) Where do you live? - Wellington, South Africa, around 30 miles outside Cape Town.

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? - Around 25 years, having had a Marklin layout as a youngster, and before finding wine, women and song.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? - Proto freelance

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? - Yes, PRR Cumberland Valley branch in 1954.

5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? - The PRR CV branch is N scale and is 20 x 18 feet in a seperate room, and the planned HO switching layout will be 10 x 1.75 feet in a spare bedroom.

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? - The best part is interacting with fellow model railroaders, being able to learn from almost all, and being able to assist others; the worst is electrical wiring.

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? - DCC Digitrax Super Chief Radio

8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know. - Nothing worth writing about.

9) Post your picture - if you dare. - I'll spare you all from this.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  1:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, Jeff & Steve,

Thanks for taking to time to make your introductions!

grampsthetrainguy
New Hire

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  1:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I am Howard I live in Santa Rosa CA about 60 miles north of San Fransico in the wine country (Sonoma county). I have been un model railroads since I got my first lionel set at 5 years old. That was over 60 years ago. I spent most of my teen and adult life in HO but I tore down my layout, sold off my collection about 12-15 years and turned to figure modeling. I am just now getting back but I High Rail mainly for my grand kids. Ha Ha I am selling my pool table to make room for the O Scale layout so it will be in a room that is 24x20. I am planning on an around the wall design. It is taking some getting used to the large radius curves in O. I have a lot to relearn and new technology to become familiar with. I have MTH DCS and will get lionel's TTCC as soon as I get the main part built and wired. I am not going to be tied into any specific era or location . I plan letting the kids pick out what they want to run and build. Thats my plan and I'm sticking to it.
Howard

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  08:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back to the hobby Howard. I'm sure your going to enjoy many of the changes that have taken place over the past 15 years.

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  08:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, Howard. Getting back into the hobby and sharing the experience with the grandkids sounds like a great way to have some fun!

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  4:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome, hope to see pitures in the next time.

Frank The Cowboybilly

ron1948
New Hire

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  7:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am 66, been in model trains for over 50 years. I live in Westland, Michigan. I freelance a small railroad that was acquired by the B&O. My layout is 4 x 17, a folded figure 8. I like to scratch build and kitbash. I found this site by accident, and will post some photos in a few days.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  7:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Ron. I think you'll find your "accident" was a stroke of good luck.

George

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  02:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

After 36 years of model aviation, with the last 14 professionally, I am jumping back into model railroading with my 11 year old son. He is enthralled by doing scenery after finishing a simple shoebox diorama for school a few weeks ago. No, the planes aren't going away, but I wanted to do something for him that isn't dad's hobby/work. I had about 7 years of HO fun growing up, but never did any scenery back then.

I am in Danbury, CT and am just starting to sketch out some ideas for an On30 layout inspired by Carsten's On30 annuals and specifically Troels Kirk's stunning art. I grew up along the coast of Maine, so his work looks very familiar to me. Right now the leading contender for subject/period is something based on New England narrow gauge roads set in the pre-WWI era. When I get rid of some airplane models we will have about 10x13 available and if we go that large, it will wrap around three walls with options for both continuous running and some switching. I do plan on starting with some much smaller "samplers" though, to work on our scenery techniques. I've also always enjoyed "making up the story," so a few simple dioramas or micro layouts should help explore and get us going.

The plan is to use a relatively basic DCC system to facilitate just us 2 operators, but haven't any idea what systems to look at.

We've got nothing to show yet, save a few ebay items that should be here in a week or so. I read a lot of Frary and Hayden articles growing up, and they set the hook pretty hard for smaller, backwoods lines with geared steam motive power. At this point we are just sketching up some engine sheds and other facilities and don't want to go larger than necessary. According to my 40 year old scale ruler, O scale structures will eat up the real estate rather quickly, so I am anticipating a good dose of selective compression and cartooning along the way. Toward that end, does anyone have an overall length measurement for the Bachmann Forney, Shay and Climax?

We are definitely looking forward to the adventure.

Thayer

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  07:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thayer,
Welcome to the dark side. There is a very active ON30 group here that are willing to answer questions. Stop in the ON30 lounge for a coffee.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000