Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Jack Zins and wigertoods21 Join RR-Line!! Topic Next Topic: Sunday Arrivals
Page: of 61

KCS Trains
New Hire

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  4:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, here is my second try at a picture within the post. The roundhouse is a Banta kit with modifications. Thanks for the cross references to the weathering.

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  4:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Mike, TJ, C.H. and Phil.

Mike, INRAIL posts here frequently. He has a lot of fans, myself included!

C.H., that is one gorgeous scene. I'd love to see more of your work,

Phil, nice work on the roundhouse!

Mark

Retro-Craft
New Hire

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  5:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro-Craft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Glad you joined us C.H. That's a beautiful scene, what scale is it?

Thanks! It's an HO scale diorama.

mike58
New Hire

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  10:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to everyone.
My name is Mike and I live in Wainwright Alberta. I had an N scale layout from 1974 to 1984, but because of a move it was dismantled. With retirement around the corner, I have started working on a small 4x4 N scale layout to get the feel for it again. If this goes well I have a 12'x18' room that I hope to use for HO. My most enjoyable part of the hobby would be weathering and scratch building structures. I find there is a great deal of inspiration to be gained on this forum, and would like to thank you for letting me join.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  10:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome, Mike. You'll find that while greater part of the posts here are divided between structure building and On30 modeling, there are several who are working on layouts of various sizes in both HO and N.

Dale Grant
New Hire

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  11:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?

South Central Kansas

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?

Always, my parents said at the age of two they took me to Toys-R-us and i picked a train, although my Father was a model railroader too so that might have influenced my decision.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?

Recently, not much modeling, building some wood kits, looking to build a prototypical of a freelance nature. How is that for non-commital? Looking to model the RGS and DRGW haven't settled on specific points, but possibly Ophir, and Black Canyon, maybe a little Chili thrown in, or maybe by the time I get to the layout somewhere completely different.

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?

Era, mid 40's to mid 50's, although that is subject to change. I like the the end of the RGS, and the DRGW during the 40's, thinking of modeling specific areas of interest and using the paint jobs that I prefer, RGS rising sun herald, DRGW with herald 40's, but maybe a slightly modern setting as if the railroads still operated today!

5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?

Model Hon3, after years as a rubber gauger I think I might have finally settled, have modeled everything from N scale, to G scale and everything in between. No layout as of now, I have an area about 17 x 10 that I am looking at putting a small operation in.

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?

Favorite part, steam, steam and did I mention steam, specifically RGS and DRGW K's. Although I might have a Mason Bogie hiding somewhere.
Benchwork!!!!

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?

DCC - this is a new adventure for me, always been DC or in my G scale days live steam/battery!

8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.

I work for the BNSF railway, I do the diesel thing for a living, steam is my escape.

9) Post your picture - if you dare.

:)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  08:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Dale, and thank you for taking the time to tell us a bit about yourself.

As you might know, we have an HOn3/HOn30 sub-forum. We hope to see you posting over there. I model in both HO and HOn3.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dale Grant
New Hire

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  09:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Welcome, Dale, and thank you for taking the time to tell us a bit about yourself.

As you might know, we have an HOn3/HOn30 sub-forum. We hope to see you posting over there. I model in both HO and HOn3.

Thank you, yes I have been over there to check it out, lots of good info.

The SBM challenge looks very interesting to me, think it would be good motivation to get a model done.

High Line
New Hire

Posted - 03/08/2014 :  6:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been snooping around this forum for a bit an figured it was time to join and introduce myself.

I would consider myself a novice when it comes to model railroading, but I have been a railfan and held an interest in railroading my entire life. I am particularly a fan of narrow gauge as well as geared steam. I would consider myself to have been bitten by the mining & logging bug and am intending on hopefully building a smaller layout in the future that would depict a private gold mining companies railroad in the Black Hills of South Dakota. My inspiration for the layout is a combination of Iain Rice's Mt. Galena Railroad (unsure whether or not I will use his plan or attempt to create a new one) and the Black Hills Central Railroad in Hill City/Keystone, SD. The layout will more than likely be built in HO Scale.

As of now, I have named the layout the Lakota Consolidated Mining & Milling Co. The idea behind the layout/company is that it is the result of a merger between two fictional medium sized mines in close proximity that merged in order to compete with the Homestake Mine. After the merger, a mill was built in Mill City, SD and a railroad was completed to haul ore from the mines to the mill, then from the mill to a connection in Rapid City, SD. My main plan is to have 2 Climax locomotives (my favorite in the geared steam family!) as the main power for ore trains, and perhaps a 4-4-0 or other rod locomotive to haul processed ore from the mill to the connection in Rapid City. My plan is to model the ore hauling part of the line only, and have the connection to Rapid City off the layout...perhaps to be built when I have more room. I am planning on the time frame being in the late 1920's/early 1930's.

Outside of railroading, I hold a new interest in geology and mineralogy (go figure!) and have started getting myself into visiting old mines and doing mine tours whenever possible. Interesting stuff, would definitely recommend it to anyone interested!

For now, I'll be hopefully working on building my first wood structure (a Campbell Mine) as well as some ore cars. Hopefully I'll be able to share my progress and get some feedback in the near future!

Look forward to being a part of this forum,

-HL (Chris)

Edited by - High Line on 03/08/2014 7:22:48 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2014 :  08:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Chris. Your plans sound interesting. We look forward to seeing some progress photos.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  10:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dale Grant,

Welcome to the forums, pull up your chair and share your ideas.

If you are in the Wichita metro area there is a group that meets on Tuesday nights. The group is the Wichita area model Railroaders (WAMR). If you are not aware of them I can PM you their contact info.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Shady Pine
New Hire

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  02:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys!
I've been lurking for years, decided to sign in!

Can anyone help me upload an avatar of my own?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  03:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shady Pine

Hi guys!
I've been lurking for years, decided to sign in!

Can anyone help me upload an avatar of my own?

Welcome Shady.

Post your avatar in this thread and we''ll get it set up for you: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5759

As you think, so will you be.

IndyCity
New Hire

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  1:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I'm Joerg from Germany. I'm building a switching layout named Indiana City. A fictitious City in the northwest of Indiana with diesel and electric traction.
Here some pics of the corner segment I'm building now.

More pics will follow.

Joerg

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  3:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, Joerg. Your switching layout looks interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

The interior details in the building on your workbench look good. Is that scratch built?

George

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: Jack Zins and wigertoods21 Join RR-Line!! Topic Next Topic: Sunday Arrivals  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000