Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Two Midweek Arrivals Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member
Page: of 62

fritz52
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  03:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in South Central Missouri. I model in On30 and my region of choice is the Colorado rockies. I have been a model railroader off and on for 50 years.
Our layout is a 'U'. it will measure 14' x8' x 9'
My favorite part of the hobby is Operation and kitbashing. I am working on a C&S mogul to make it more prototypical.
Like most kids, I started with O27 Lionel, by the age of 9 I graduated to American flyer Ho. Now we model On30.for right now We use dc control. We plan on converting our locos to DCC over the winter. Before I retired I was a DJ on the radio and I wanted to get back into the hobby in 2007. So I bought an On30 set from my LHS> and the rest is history.
Fred Cotterell
Vice President and chief gandy dancer
Rio Grande Central rr.
"being narroiw minded is a sane mindset"

fritz52
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  05:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi this is Fred again, I just figured out that I have been into Model Railroading 56 years. My first set was an 027 That my Dad bought me at age 5. That was in Chicago in 1957. I was a Union Pacific set with an orange f unit with a caboose, boxcar, and gondola. At age 5 I soon discovered the joy of arching foil iceciles across the track singeing the rug below. But then my dad added a few switches and electric uncoupler and my uncle and I would spend hours on the floor making up trains. He was my great uncled who worked for yhe Milwaukee road as a foreman in their Chicago freight house.
Fred cotterell
VP and head Gandy Dancer
Rio Grande Central RR

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  07:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, Fred. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to the members.

Your story of the foil tinsel on the tracks brings back memories from my youth.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  08:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for introducing yourself, Fred. Your start with Lionel is similar to a lot of us.

George

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  08:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Fred! Boy, I had forgotten about the tinsel. I used to do the same thing!

Mark

1947willeysjeep
New Hire

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  4:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone, My name is Richard Bush and I just joined on 12/24/2013. I sort of fell into this website last night by accident, trying to get more information about an old Scale Model Works stone quarry cutters shed kit that I have and read a post that came up about this kit. I live just west of Tulsa Oklahoma I got started in the hobby in 1960. I grew up on Jay St. in Rochester,New York and Chennango County north of Binghamton. I model the Lehigh Valley, D&H, N.Y.S&W, And logging. I like to scratch build and kit bash structures, and detail them and scenery. We sell trains and related items on the train show circuit and have done so sense 1989. We have met many Great people who have become very close friends over the years. I do DC and DCC the old guy here just can't part with several hundred engines that have become family members. Hope this doesn't put everyone in a coma. Richard

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  5:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard,

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the introduction.

Like you, I have quite a collection of old DC engines as well and stick to DC block control.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  5:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Richard. I think your accidentally stumbling on the forum may have been good luck. You'll find a lot folks scratch building and kit bashing structures here, so you'll fit right in.

George

bushranger18
New Hire

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  9:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have just joined the Forum so allow me to introduce myself. I live on the Central Coast of New South Wales (NSW) in Australia. this is about 70 miles north of Sydney. I have been a modeller for at least 50 years. I model HO Scale NSW Railways and On30 scale Ohio River & Western Railroad.
My favourite aspect of the hobby is structures and scenery but generally enjoy all aspects. I use NCE DCC equipment. Some locos have sound but I am hanging out for when TCS bring out diesel WOW decoders. Their steam decoders are great.

Regards

David O'Hearn

David O'Hearn
Central Coast, NSW
Australia

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  08:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, David!

Bruce

Grump
New Hire

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  9:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first got my American Flyer when I was, I think, about six. I enjoyed it all the way through my high school years although it was always just temporarily set up. It was stored at my parents after I left home and eventually retrieved and occasionally opened for inspection, usually to inspect for damage after the last move. I've added to it over the years plus some Lionel, Marx, etc. (I really like the old tin-type, just can't afford the good stuff.) I've switched to HO and started cleaning out one of the kid's old rooms to set up a small layout. I would like to do pre-1860 but will probably settle with whatever I come up with pre-1900. I mostly go with RTR and haven't had much success with quality weathering etc but keep trying.

Other interests include all kinds of history, including reenacting; canals; video & photography; genealogy;
and I'd love to do woodworking. I love the smell of fresh cut wood. However it seems like I can measure three times and get four different measurements. Cut twice and its still too short. Driving a nail is like lightning - I never his the same spot twice.

What I like most about model railroading most is watching the faces of little kids as they see the trains go around and light up when they discover something that tickles their fancy on the layout. What don't I like? Detest and can't avoid? DUST!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  9:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Ken. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  07:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, thanks for introducing yourself to the crew. Welcome to the Forum!

Bruce

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  10:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jim and my sons and their have called me Burley for years. I'm new to the group but old to Model Railroading. My first train was an American Flyer Santa Fe PA1 passenger set back in the early '50s. I still have that set, a Great Northern Pul-Mor smoke and steam chime set (which was run once) and the old GP diesel set with the Rocket Car and Missile launcher (what was Gilbert thinking?). All that equipment went up in the attic and its still in the original boxes.

Years later, my wife and I were on our honeymoon in Europe and 'N scale' was just coming in. I brought back a ton of Rapido equipment. My late father-in-law was an avid HO modeler and we were going to bring back a gift from Europe for him. Well the N scale layout in my basement started out at 17' X 17'. Super Rapido turntable and 24 stalls of the roundhouse. It was removed from my basement in one afternoon. To support my hobby, I used to paint "O scale brass" for All-Nation Hobby shop when they were in the Chicago Loop. I did a custom job for a guy who wanted a string of N scale gondolas painted and detailed with his company logo. He liked the work, liked my N scale layout, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He had a crew come out and disassemble and haul it out.

My father-in-law talked me into painting locomotives for him and his buddies. (All-Nation had closed) So I dabbled in HO, mostly tinkering rather than building another layout. Well, we moved to Northeast Indiana and HO took a backseat to work and starting a family. Several years went by and the boys and I put together a small layout. It's still right where we built it.

Another couple of years later, we went to a 'Live Steam' event in Hesston, Indiana. As you are reading this, you can probably guess where this was going. Yep, 1/8th scale! Nothing like drawing up your plans from an HO scale picture of a GP9 from a Train Shed Encyclopedia book. 2 days in the church basement wall with an overhead projector on a 10' piece of butcher's paper. After nearly a year of bandsawing, welding, turning, filing, fitting, etc., The hydrostatically controlled GP was ready to be painted. After years of being a commuter on the Burlington, the GP would don the "Everywhere West" paint scheme. I had bought about a quarter mile of aluminum 1" rail that we layed in the back yard. No switches just a simple loop. My boys loved that project until....they discovered girls. A guy from Northwest Indiana came out with a trailer and a lot of money and hauled it away.

So I left railroading and got into restoring muscle cars. Did that for about 4 years, and saw that market drop off. Still a fan of railroading, got some nice photographs of trains and railroading. Recently road the Western Maryland Steam train to Frostburg. Even more recently watched the "Wabash Cannonball NKP765" come screaming past us in Huntington, Indiana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-h1ZDaAqhU br /
One of my sons came home for Thanksgiving and we took my grandson to Fort Wayne's Science Central to a 'Railroad show'. He, like grandpa is a fan. You guessed it, I'm reincarnating the layout, putting decoders in the 'ancient' HO locos and working through a DCC conversion. I joined to learn from you guys. Thanks for letting me enter the group.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  1:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, Jim. Like you, the last time that I got 'back into' the hobby it was after bringing two or our grandkids to see a model RR display at Christmas. That was now 13 years (and 7 more grandkids) ago.

Bruce

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Two Midweek Arrivals Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000