Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Two Midweek Arrivals Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member
Page: of 62

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  1:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Charlie. Glad you could join us.

George

AltoonaRailfan
New Hire

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  4:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone! My name is Jacob, and I live in Altoona, PA, just a few blocks up from NS's Juniata shops. My main model railroading effort focuses around Norfolk and Western's West Virginia operations. I use HO scale, which I inherited from my grandfather when he passed away. I got a large amount of 40's-60's rolling stock as well as the usual Santa Fe and Union Pacific F-7's. After some downsizing and reselling, I decided on my top goal: Create a model railroad with great mountain scenery featuring early 60's N&W steam and colorful Southern passenger trains. Of course, this is incredibly expensive, and I've only got two relevant locomotives right now. My favorite is an 80's built N&W Y6b off eBay for only 80 bucks. The other locomotive, a Southern Geep also from eBay, wasn't quite what I thought it was. From the picture it looked like a high-hood and was advertised as a GP9, but when I got it it was a chopped-nose model. GP18? GP10 rebuild? I didn't really mind, because I loved the paint scheme! Starting a model railroad has been a huge pain though due to extremely limited space. I'll be moving to a new house within the next few years, though, so hopefully I can find one with enough space. 'Till then, I'll be asking around about techniques in building and operating so I'll be ready!

Only NS Roanoke Shops can divide by zero.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  4:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Jacob. Thanks for taking a moment to introduce yourself to the members.

Last spring, my wife and I were in your area, visiting Johnstown, the Portage Railroad, and Horseshoe Curve. We enjoyed the area.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  8:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Jacob. All model railroaders have space problems, some have them worse than others.

George

franneto
New Hire

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  08:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit franneto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hello people

My name is Francisco and I live in São Paulo, Brazil.
Despite enjoy model railroading, not own a "railroad".
What I like most is the scenery and the possibilities of making small components of several types of materials to make them more like the objects 'real'.
Here in Brazil we do not have all this variety of products that exist in the United States and Europe and here are relatively expensive due to import taxes. Thus, we are experts in seeking alternative solutions to create and build the components of the layout.

I'm 55 years old, I graduated in mechanical engineering and I love modeling in general, and in particular the model railroad and naval modeling static.
I am a moderator on a forum of modeling that is beginning, who want to know just access:

http://modelismobrasil.forumeiros.com/

I manufacture some items to modeling and models that can be seen on the blog:

www.emporio220.blogspot.com

Some of my works and my father can be seen in the following blogs:

www.fran-arts.blogspot.com

www.countreestyle.blogspot.com

Brotherly hug to everyone, franneto

ps. - I used the google translator

The success is to achieve what you want, happiness, desire for what is achieved ...

visit www.emporio220.blogspot.com

Edited by - franneto on 08/23/2013 08:51:10 AM

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  10:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welocome aboard Francisco to the forum. We look forward to your participation. Thank you for taling the time to introduce yourself.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  11:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself, Francisco. I would enjoy seeing pictures of your modeling.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  12:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, Francisco.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Midland Valley
New Hire

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  12:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

My name is Gary Herron and I live in Omaha, NE.
I've been interested in model railroads as long as I can remember. My first train set was a hand-me-down Lionel set for Christmas. Then later a small Marx HO set that really got me interested.
My Mother built an Athearn HO scale refer and I was hooked. (her hobby was all types of models)
My current layout (the first since I left home years ago) is based on a small portion of the prototype Midland Valley. (one town)
I am trying to model Pawhuska, OK around 1964.
I have an 8'x16' "L" shaped layout and model in HO scale.
Currently, my favorite part of the hobby (layout) has been hand laying track. I think it's relaxing and I can fix my own mistakes at low cost! I think my least favorite activity is building kits. Especially resin kits. I do it, but it's a chore for me....(maybe a skill problem!) HA!
For control, I use an NCE PowerCab. Great for my small layout with 1 or 2 locos.
Prototype research is another favorite part of the hobby for me. And I enjoy just about every RR I've ever read about or heard about.
Great to be here...enjoying everything I have read so far.
Thanks.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  07:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary, welcome to the Forum, and thanks for the introduction.

Bruce

oldjohn
New Hire

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  1:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm oldjohn,

I've been in model railroading for over 60 years. I'm retired and live in Lake City, a small farming community in North Central Florida. I lived on a barrier island prior to moving to Lake City, where I had a G Scale garden railroad. Spent all my "train" time rebuilding after rain storms, repairing squirrel damage (they love to chew on LGB plastic ties) and chasing gulls and egrets from the layout (the water scene was a gold fish pond), also as time went by I found that getting down to work on the layout was easy, getting up was becoming much harder. So we moved to Lake City and the layout is now indoors (no getting down). I model 1850's-60's and the scenery is a collage of all the things I've always wanted on a model railroad collected over the years. No bearing to any real location. I have forest scenes, rocky ocean side scenes, mountain scenes, each containing little towns and small industries. To blend all this together in leiu of back drops I have N scale running in what would appear to be distant to the foreground G Scale. Sounds odd, but it works!

I stumbled on this forum by aaccident, as enjoy finding and reading references to E.L. Moore and his models. I found the posts between members to be very civil and friendly and I hope to enjoy participating and learning.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  6:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for introducing yourselves, Gary and John. Welcome to the RR-Line.

George

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2013 :  10:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to everyone! I've enjoyed reading everyone's introductions and look forward to seeing more of you here on RRL!

Mark

BJL0825
New Hire

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  7:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

My name is Robert Larsen and I currently live in West Lafayette, IN. I have never been heavily involved in model railroading. Both of my grandfathers had HO layouts while growing up. I have several engines and cars from them. For a while I had one of the 4x8 layouts that the one had made.

I have worked in the 1:1 scale in the engineering departments for Thrall car and American Steel Foundries. That was fun, but not knowing if you would have a job in a couple of years is not.

As for my current work, I am going to try and create a simple 2x4 foot layout with a couple of building and running track. Might also try and put two together to create a 2x8 set-up. I am not working with any particular railroad, although it is hard not to have some Illinois Central cars around. Both my Grandfather and Great-Grandfather work for the IC.

I have currently tried to build several buildings. Some are more complete and some need fine tuning. Nothing is on a diorama or layout.

Currently working on completing the tie hackers kit. Then I have to get some form of storage built for several items.

I was on dialysis for around 10 years and have been through two transplants. The first one developed a reaction with the medicine and had to be removed while still working. Had a second in 2005 and still going strong.

I have enjoyed reading several of the threads on different builds. I also enjoyed reading the discussion of fine scale modeling, yes I made it through all 98 pages.

Well, I guess it is time to go and test fit the walls together to see how I did. Only took a couple of times to build. Thanks for including a lot of extra wood.

Bob

Bob

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  8:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Railroad Line Bob. Thanks for the intro. Sorry to hear of your health problems but it sounds like your on the road to recovery. Railroading is a great way to relax! I look foward to your contributions here on RRL!

Mark

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Two Midweek Arrivals Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000