Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Jack Zins and wigertoods21 Join RR-Line!! Topic Next Topic: Sunday Arrivals
Page: of 61

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  5:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for taking time to introduce yourselves. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

George

nhpickles9
New Hire

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  10:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, my name is Nicholas and I live in the capital city of Australia, Canberra. I'm 14 years old, have been doing plastic kit modelling, planes, tanks etc. for a while and have also been collecting model railroading magazines for a few years but am just now starting to build my first pike.
The model railroad I am currently building will be a freelance, loosely based on the Eastern states of Australia in the 1950s.
The layout I'm working on is N scale, will be contained in a coffee table with total measurements of 2'6" by 3'6" (About 1 metre by 70cm).
Coming from a kit modelling background, I enjoy designing scenery. I guess I'm not far enough into the hobby to have a least favourite part yet.
The model railroad I'm currently working on will be DC but I might use DCC for future projects. I'll be sure to start a thread following the construction of the layout (of which I've just started).
I am in the scouting program here in Australia and enjoy all outdoor activities as well of course as modelling.

Exploring the tracks.

Southernman
New Hire

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  11:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,I'm from East Tennessee and I'm an N-scaler who models the Southern in,of all places,East Tennessee.I really don't model a specific place although I'm trying to "represent" the area between Knoxville and Morristown in the early '70s.I just found this forum earlier this week otherwise I would have been here sooner.Glad I found it.

Looks like I need to work on the Avatar,can't remember how to do that.

Edited by - Southernman on 01/02/2013 11:03:22 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum Nicholas and Southernman.

Southernman, if you post the photo you wish to use as an avatar in this thread, one of the Administators will take care of it.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5759&whichpage=48

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  08:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Nicholas and Southernman. Thanks for taking time to introduce yourselves.

George

JPIII
Section Hand

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  11:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After logging in about 4 times I finally got to where I planned. Consider me arrived, please.

JPIII
Section Hand

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  6:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm from the PNW....SW Washington to be more exact. I'm an old guy born when steam was king....and I still like it that way. I'll probably spend most of my time in the logging section of the site.

My intent is to build an old growth forest with a RR running through (cutting trees as we go) it while trying to be historically accurate.....but I will claim "artistic license" on occasion.

You'z guys set a pretty high standard. I will keep my pictures to my self until I feel able to present something that represents your lower tier standard. In the mean time I'll be rootin' around in here with my eyes open & my mouth shut.

Oldmann55
New Hire

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  1:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All!
As the name suggests I'm another old guy, from a time when Steam was still pulling freight and models were powered by 12v DC motors which were controlled by resistive controllers, and the height of technical know how was a light system that worked showing white to the front and red to the rear of the train, regardless of direction of travel! I have the dubious pleasure of living on the south coast of the UK, and since I no longer work I now have a lot of time on my hands. My Dad started his first (OO)layout back in the 1930's and is now passing all of his stuff on to me. At age 7 or 8 I was give my first OO items, to run on Dads layout, (a Hornby 3f with a rake of unmarked coal trucks that I promptly customized and weathered!)Finding that the purists wanted everything to conform, people at the exhibitions my Dad took me to would look up and see if a coal truck from "Smiths and Sons of Leeds" could have been pulled by a 3f on the branch line that we were showing,I lost interst and discovered a new world, OO9! I "sold" my 3f, and all the other stock that I had collected in the meantime to my Dad, who bought me a Jouef Décauville set with 2 "toast rack" coaches and an oval of pretty crappy track. I added to this with a box of 6 Mini Trix tipper ore cars and as much Peco OO9 flexitrack as my pocket money would allow! Birthdays and Christmas ensured my layout continued to grow, and an Art Teacher at school who was also a closet railway modeller meant that my layouts expanded and grew fast and varied. I made a stand alone exhibition layout when I was 15 and got recognition for it at a local exhibition, and was allowed to build a layout as part of my Art Exam. (Lots of Sand and a cliff face with a "mine" in it, got me a B+ on my exam though).
I left home to join the Army, and soft of left trains behind me, building RC Aircraft and Fire Engine dioramas for many years. Sadly the eyes of a bomber pilot were not as good as mine back in 1991 and I left a lot of my health and some eyesight and mobility out in those desert sands! I've been looking for a hobby that I can cope with for some years, and Dad winding down his hobby, and wanting to clear it all away before Mum is left to do it alone. I've been tasked with dismantling Dads last layout, and decided to use the trackwork for my new project.
Due to eyesight and manual dexterity problems I can no longer cope with fine detail work in 3.5mm to the foot, and intend to make use of Dad's track, and some of his rolling stock spares, to start out in 7mm to the foot NG.
As to an era and location, well steam has to be around still and an island mid Atlantic where UK and USA rolling stock will meet Scale, as I mentioned will be 7mm to the foot, with 16.5 and 9mm track, and maybe even some 6.5mm too if I can find something suitable on eBay!
My weakness has always been for scratch built items, and Narrow Gauge always give an excuse for "one off" items, I like to be able to do things the way I want, and not follow someone elses idea of how it should look!
Control initially will have to be DC, as a)We seem to have a lot of DC stuff, and b) I don't as yet fully understand DCC, so I'll see if I can cope with the fine work with technology that I understand!
As to posting a picture of myself, the site is open to young impressionable people, and if they saw me it might put them off railway modelling, and even the internet for life!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  5:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, JP and Peter, from another steam era guy. Thanks for introducing yourselves.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  5:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JP and Peter, welcome to the Forum and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourselves to the rest of the crew. I'm also 'of the age' to remember steam in action, although here in the north east, early diesel is more what I remember in action when I was old enough to pay attention to what was going on around me.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tomszcz
New Hire

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  10:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I found this forum while searching for weathering ideas for Campbell Profile shingles. Great forum, found great ideas, thanks.
I live in Hammonton, NJ, the self-proclaimed blueberry capitol of the world. It is halfway between Philadelphia and Atlantic City, NJ, right along the former PRR-Reading Seashore Lines. I am within earshot of the daily NJT trains running on the line today. I am also 5 minutes away from the SNJRR “terminal” where they have quite a collection of motive power (Alco/MLW, EMD GP and F’s, GE 44 tonner, rare GE U18B). It is always fun to drive by.
I have been a model railroader for 43 years, transitioned from slot car racing when the tracks were closing in the late 60’s. I wanted a HO race track in the basement, decided to add trains, found a January 1970 issue of RMC, and the race cars went away while the trains took over. I was hooked. I also grew up 3 doors away from Bill Schopp in Trenton, NJ, and was always peering into this basement window admiring his trains. His son Walt invited me in and we had a blast running a 100 car train around the layout with about 6 diesels driving it.
My favorite road is the PRR, though I am currently building a HOn3 replica of the Elk River RR that was published in the 1970s in RMC. It is almost complete. I am also gathering material to build a small N gauge layout for the grandkids.
The HOn3 layout is only 3x6 but is has survived two moves, one from NH to NJ and another within NJ.
I really enjoy building kits: Cars, buildings, etc. and detailing them. I have a closet full to last a lifetime, just need to room for a layout. Despite being an Electronic Engineer by training, I do not enjoy wiring.
I currently use DC, but hope to move to DCC when I build something big enough. That should make the wiring less onerous. But I do have quite a few engines to convert, that is a big impediment.
My best Model Railroad experience was being able to “run” a hobby shop. While living in NH and commuting to NJ twice a month, I got to know Keith Bergman who owned DKB Hobby in Hightstown, NJ. I finally moved back to NJ in 1997, and shortly thereafter, Keith asked if I’d like to join his Sunday team and run the shop one Sunday a month. Of Course ! It was a blast and I am forever grateful to Keith for this opportunity. The shop is long closed, but I cherish the experience, especially the time spent with newcomers of all gauges and ages. I learned a ton, and hoped I passed along an enduring love of the hobby to others.
A close second favorite experience just occurred last year on a business trip to Corvallis, OR. Through work I had met a fellow model railroader, Alan Shifley, who just happened to have a live steam set up on his farm. My trip was in August, so there was plenty of daylight after work to visit. His railroad, The Willamette & Kings Valley Railroad is amazing. He has a 4-8-2 live steam locomotive and a fleet of cars to run on his fully signaled 2250’ mainline. It was a blast riding along and then Alan said, would you like to drive? Of Course ! Alan explained the operation and off we went. Talk about being busy, it gave me a totally new appreciation for the engineers who ran steam engines. It was another truly memorable experience, one I will be forever thankful to Alan for sharing. Here is a web site with some pictures of his railroad. http://www.sscom.org/asp.html

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  12:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the site everyone. Even though there are many 'welcomes' only posted by a moderator in this thread, in fact there are many of us forum trolls who actually stop by this thread to learn about those new folks who have taken the time to let us get to know them. So thanks to all and enjoy the modeling ideas, tips and sharing on this site.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  1:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been a little remiss in welcoming everyone lately.
Welcome, one and all.

Tom, I used to stop in at DKB Hobby from time to time.

As you think, so will you be.

Tomszcz
New Hire

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  4:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DKB was an interesting place. I think Keith still does business on eBay. He had quite an online presence.

RIMAH
New Hire

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  1:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well guys my Name is Robert Matarazzo screen name RIMAH. RIMAH is for the RIMAH Valley railroad. It is a free lance On 30 layout that I am starting to build in my basement in Zanesville OH. This is going to be my first layout that I will build. I have been building structures and working on scenery on other peoples club and personal layouts since I never had the space. Been blessed with the teachers that I learned from. I use to live in Florida were I was a member of the suncoast model railroad club that I learned my skills from Jon Addison, Dave Revelia and the late Brian Nolan (miss ya buddy). Almost everything I learned was from these guys and I cant thank them enough. It was Jon that really brought me under his wing and helped me fall in love with the hobby. I dont really know a lot about trains but I love the scenery and modeling of the layout. I couldn't tell you one train from another if my life depended on it.

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: Jack Zins and wigertoods21 Join RR-Line!! Topic Next Topic: Sunday Arrivals  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.51 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000