Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Two Midweek Arrivals Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member
Page: of 62

kena
New Hire

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  8:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks of the forum,
1.) my name is Ken Anderson, no, not a football player, musher, wrestler, or even a cartoonist for Disney! Ok, sorry for the dry humor. I live in Boone, North Carolina, home of the NCAA national champions, the ASU - Mountaineers! Ok, enough of that.
2.) I bought with Christmas money I received from relatives my first HO scale Tyco train set the Chattanooga Choo Choo 38 years ago, wait a minute, I had to stop and think a minute on that! I still model in Ho scale, but I've added HOn3 to the madness!
3.) Yes to the question. I model a prototype and a freelance railroad located in the Southeast USA.
The prototype is a narrow gauge, the ET&WNC railroad mid to late 1930's in HOn3. The freelance is a standard/dual gauge railroad called the Watauga Creek & Southern that caught a good ole southern nickname, "We Chew & Spit". This shortline's time period is set in the late 50's using short wheelbased steam engines that require help from some 1st generation diesels from the Southern.
To make this even more interesting, this all happens on lightweight Luann modules used by a modular layout group of the Sipping & Switching Society of North Carolina.
5.) Speaking of layout size, it varies by number of modules I use from set up to set up. Unfortunately at present I do not have enough room to set up all of my modules at home, bummer!
6.) Gosh, there is so much I enjoy from the hobby and it's challenges...it's hard to pin point just one favorite, but if I had to narrow it down it would be scratch building structures and detail.
The least enjoyed would be (at times.) programming or troubleshooting locomotives, especially when the " magic smoke" is let out!
7.) Well the Society has used several control systems since I've been a member. The latest is NCE. The last several years have been more than interesting to say the least using radio control and touchscreen operation. Quoting one of our members, "it's strange to run my train and be able to order a pizza all at the same time"
8.) I love working with wood...it's hard to know what type of project might end up on the workbench next.
Living in the mountains has several advantages when I can find time to pull myself away from the workbench, I like hiking the numerous trails in our region.
9.) Let's skip this part!
I would like to share a photo of one of my modules that has scratch built turnouts and structures, Enjoy and thanks for letting me be part of the Railroad Line Forums

kena
New Hire

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  8:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hummm, I seem to have the newbie problem trying to upload photos too! Tried highlighting and had problems. well it's a learn as you go thing.

Ken

kena
New Hire

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  8:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops! I didn't follow instructions very well! I'll look closer and pay attention next time.

Ken

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  06:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, welcome to the forum. I also model in both HO and HOn3. You should stop by the HOn30/HOn3 sub-forum some time.

You were almost there with the picture upload. Simply replace everything in front of the 'http' with an 'img' inclosed in square brackets and everything after the jpg with a '/img' inclosed in square brackets.

More instructions can be found here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  07:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
Welcome to the forums. Good to see a fellow NC modeler.
Larry

kena
New Hire

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  11:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah Bruce, I did read the instructions, but it's sometimes like reading and assembling a kid's jungle jim late on Christmas Eve! It's late, I'm tired and I wantta go to bed! it's best not to decided to write and upload photos when your tired and not focused! Thanks for the input.

Ken

R. Morse
New Hire

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  6:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello…

My name is Ron Morse, MMR

I currently live in Lenexa, Kansas, 66219

I’ve been active in the hobby since about 1959 but got heavily into it in 1978. In 1987 we started and still manufacture model railroad detail parts, accessories and structures under the Morse Productions label http://morseproductionsproducts.blogspot.com/

I earned my MMR in 1990 (MMR 159). To date I have had 35 articles about model railroading in print and have done the photography for a number of others so they could get their railroads in print.

After much pondering I chose to model Colorado at the turn of the century (approximately 1900) in the fall of the year. While not modeled after a specific prototype it is reminiscent of the Idaho Springs and Central City area where I was raised and my father owned a gold mill and assay office.

The primary purpose for both railroads is providing service for the gold mining and milling industries. The FC&CRR is a standard gauge railroad and the Coyote Gold Tram is a ‘HON30’ narrow gauge tram line. I hand painted the backdrop for this railroad which includes rounded corners, special lighting, fascia, and drapes. The layout abounds with animation.

To enhance the feeling of vertical height, parts of the railroad bench work were lowered allowing the “Lone Eagle Trestle” to have a vertical distance from the track to the base of the trestle of 14 inches.

I created the heralds for both railroads and signs for the buildings using Microsoft Publisher and then made my own dry transfers.

The FC&CRR is operated from a central control panel using "common rail" wiring. It has a single track main line with one continuous loop. All rail is Atlas code 100 nickel silver flex track except for the bridges which were hand laid. The railroad is operated from a central control with dual cab control and 17 electrical blocks. Both cabs are scratchbuilt transistorized systems (built by Dean Windsor, MMR). There are 16 Peco power routing turnouts. Most of the turnouts use Switchmaster slow motion machines for realistic operation. The minimum radius on curves is 18 inches and the maximum grade is 2˝.5 percent. Kadee brand couplers are used with "under the track" uncoupling magnets. The base elevation from the floor is 40 inches. The base size of the layout is approximately 11' X 15’ using an around the wall concept. Thanks to an operational turn table and a wye, trains can be turned and switched in the yard and then moved back and forth to the mainline continuous loop.

mstull
New Hire

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  08:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit mstull's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I live in SE Lower Michigan. I have been into model railroading since I was a kid and started with the usual train at Christmas. I model both prototype and freelance. My prototype modeling is mostly historical pre-1900. My freelance tends to be 1910-1980. No region is off limits to me but I do gravitate to industrial locations.

I have three layouts in progress right now and also own a couple free-mo modules. Most of my modeling is in HO but have been playing with O14, 1/24 and 1/20ish for an industrial layout I am planning. I am also assisting my daughter with a HOe layout for her. I have one larger layout (Peshekee River Railroad) that is constructed in 12 x 48 pieces to create a 26 X 11 layout. my other layouts are 20" x 30" and 2' x 8'.

My favorite part of the hobby is variety. As you can see so far, I like to be doing several things at once. I have to be careful to limit myself so I actually finish things. My least favorite part of the hobby is the limited time I have to do it.

Train control depends on the project I am working on. I use DCC and DC and even computer control.

One additional aspect of the hobby I enjoy is writing about it. I have a blog at www.smallmr.com where I tell about my modeling and the hobby in general. I am also an advocate of small/micro layouts.

I am not brave enough to post a picture yet, although some can be found on my blog.

Marshall

Edited by - mstull on 12/21/2012 08:28:44 AM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  08:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Ron and Marshall. It looks like the number of members modeling turn of the century and older railroads is growing, which is good. I'm looking forward to your contributions. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourselves.

George

mstull
New Hire

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  08:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit mstull's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, i found a couple pics I will be brave with. These are from my HO free-mo modules.

A river scene based on prototype in Novi, MI.

A portion of another module with closeup of HO scale oak tree with tree house.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  08:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Ron. I've always enjoyed your photos in the NMRA calendar. Great winter scenes.

Chuck

Bull
New Hire

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  09:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

I think it's time to introduce myself.

I live in Sweden and work as a mechanical engineer. I just got back to model railroad modeling again after a 30 year long break. Previosly I had a Marklin, H0-scale railroad (as everybody around here), but when I came back I switched to N-scale and DCC. Right now I'm modeling C&O influenced modules and will do so for a while. We (our group) settled for era 60 to 69, but since I'm a rebel I model -55 to -73 (I have a steam engine and some Chessi engines, not at the same time of course). I have som ideas for my upcoming home layout, but it will take at least a year before the start of that one.

cheers /Bull

Edited by - Bull on 12/23/2012 09:24:12 AM

Brass Train
New Hire

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  2:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I currently model N, but in the past have modelled HO and On30. My current layout is a double track L shaped oval built as a 12 by 12 foot shelf from 2 inch foam base. It;\'s between 24 and 20 inches deep, so the curves are pretty tight, but Kato and atlas 6 axles have no problem with it. I also run LL E8s and streamlines on the inner loop without issues (other than looking stupid). I'll post some pictures soon. Oh, it's only about 1/4 done.

CNRMike
New Hire

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  10:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy,
George sent me a welcome message and suggested I introduce myself, so here goes.

My name is Mike Christian, I live in Louisiana (about 11 miles from New Orleans) and I have been crazy about trains since I was about 3 years old (I'm now in my mid 60's). I was introduced to toy trains at age 3 when my Dad bought us (he played with them as much as I) a Marx O-27 set. That Marx collection grew for about 10 years or so, and we had a lot of neat stuff. When I was 12 we moved from Michigan to Florida and since there were no basements there, Dad sold the layout to a neighbor that had done us a favor. He bought me a Marx HO set, and we built a 4'x6' layout that rolled under my bed. In 1966 I went into the Air Force and disposed of all my train stuff. While in the A.F., after I got married, I started buying some trains stuff again, and had a couple small layouts while I was stationed in Las Vegas. After returning from Viet Nam I was stationed in Montana and had another layout in the garage there. In 1973 I was transferred back home to Florida and served out my last 18 months in the AF there (I was in 7 years). While there, I built a small Lionel layout for our sons and I had a shelf HO layout, both in the garage. We eventually moved to Louisiana and for many years I had a medium sized HO scale three level layout in the attached garage (I had finished the room off and added air conditioning). Along about 1989 I was instrumental in starting the CN Lines SIG (we covered the entire CN family at that time, prior to the I.C. merger/buyout). That took up all my time, so ironically, I eventually stopped doing any modelling. In 2001 I discovered eBay and was able to find all kinds of CN stuff I had never been able to find before, and turned into a collector rather than an active modeler. I have sold stuff on eBay as well, but (unfortunately) have bought more than I sold. Sometime around 1993 the train room got converted into an office, and I had to tear down the layout. The office has since moved into the house, and the train room is full of trains, but they are all in boxes! So now I am disposing of most of the trains to make room for a layout again...

When I was an active HO scale modeler, I modeled the CN family - CNR, CV, DWP, GTW and D&TS (a road that the GTW was part owner in, and took full possession of around 1981). Back then there was very little CN family stuff (especially pre-1961 "Noodle" scheme) commercially available. So I learned how to air brush, decal and weather stuff. In those days I didn't really model an era. Sometimes I would only have pre-1961 paint scheme rolling stock on the layout, and other times it was all modern. I have now settled on only doing pre-1961 era when I do build another layout, and am selling off most of my post 1961 equipment.

I enjoy pretty much all aspects of the hobby, although I suspect when I start building again I will not relish doing anything under the layout (benchwork, wiring, switch motors, etc.) as with age my joints and bones complain about contorting my body.

While I like DCC, and spent about 45 years in the electronics industry as a tech and engineer (so I am not intimidated by DCC) I will stick with DC control for two reasons: 1) I have way too many locos to equip them all with decoders, and 2)now that I am retired, I have to live on a fixed income (besides, as my wife reminds me, I have so much stuff now spend ANY more money on trains can't be justified!!!).

OK, I have ramble much too long. I shouldda stopped at "Howdy".

CNRMike

louismca
New Hire

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  12:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit louismca's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi folks;
I live in Quispamsis New Brunswick in eastern Canada. I've been actively modeling for about 15 years but have been interested in model railroading for most of my life. I would describe my model railroad as protolanced - based on a prototype with substantial embellishment. I enjoy creating scenery and building structures and, of late, have been working on sections of my layout as if they were individual dioramas.
The prototype was a small branchline railway known as the Hampton & St Martins Rwy that existed from 1880 until 1940. However my HO model reflects a reality as if the railway lasted into at least the mid-1950's with both steam and 1st generation diesels. The line ran through inland farming and lumbering countryside terminating at the Southern end at the seaside town of St Martins. At the Hampton end of the line, the railway connected with the Canadian National system (and its predecessors.
The layout is multi-level covering an L-shaped area about 25'x25' on the longest sides. I use a basic Atlas DCC system with cordless telephones as throttles. I can also use my local club's NCE system when it is available
I have a website describing both the prototype and the model in text and photographs
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/louism/st_martinsrr.html

Lou

Download Attachment: log_loading.jpg
146.71 KB

Edited by - louismca on 12/29/2012 2:34:01 PM

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Two Midweek Arrivals Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000