Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew
Page: of 62

dick
New Hire

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  01:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

My name is Dick and I live in Victoria , BC , Canada
I have been a model railroader for 40 years .I use to be in HO and basically was a freelance diesel era shortline modeller. I liked the Central Vermont area so that was somewhat what I tried to copy . My main interest was scratchbuilding which was why I never finished a layout , always building and trying to get the perfect scene . I also use to do custom building for other fellows which also took time away from my own layout .About 8 years ago I decided to get back to the type of layout I always wanted and that was a west coast logging line ,I am from Ontario and I moved to BC so it only came naturally to model logging .With this move came a change of scales from HO to ON30 , better for the eyesight also .
I am slowly getting a small shelve layout up and am busy once again building structures my real first love.L have been using Digitrax since I changed and quite like it .
Well that is pretty much it for now , I hope to post some shots of my stuff in the near future .

Dick

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  09:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Dick, and thanks for introducing yourself. I have a good friend, Marty Phillips, who is a model railroader living in Parksville, a little drive (or RDC trip) from you. So glad to see you've joined the forum and I look forward to reading and seeing your future developments on the new logging line!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

EricQuebec
New Hire

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  10:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
My name is Eric from Québec city. I read this forum since many years. I'm modeler since 1987, begin in N scale and moved to HO scale in 1996. I prefer scratchbuilding rather than kit assembly, but like it too. I would advice that my english isn't good, beause it's not my usual Langage, so i,m apologize in advance for the many error i will do.
Thanks.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  12:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bonjour Eric! So glad you joined the forum. I was born in Toronto, but I grew up in Montreal in Dollard des Ormeaux on the West Island. Where do you live in Quebec?

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

EricQuebec
New Hire

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  12:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,
I,m living in Québec city, in Charlesbourg district. Happy to meet you.
Eric.

mike_sandp
New Hire

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  6:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike_sandp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My name is Mike and I live in Southern Maryland in a town called Owings.
I have been a model railroader for a little over 60 years. I got started as a child with a Marx electric tinplate train under the Christmas tree.
My current layout, started about 10 years ago, is a freelance layout with a historical basis. At one time in the late 19th century, a railroad was graded from Baltimore through Calvert County to Drum Point on the Patuxent River. The grading was as far as the construction ever progressed, but it now serves as the basis for my railroad, named the Solomons and Patuxent, running the length of Calvert County, and set in 1936.
The layout is an around the walls with a center peninsula in a 16' x 24' room.\ and is HO scale.
It is controlled by a Digitrax DCC system that is currently tethered-only, but will be set up for radio control in the not too distant future. My favorite part of the hobby so far is researching railroad history and topics, some of which I have been fortunate enough to have published in my Division and Region newsletters.
My particular interest is in the development and refinement of my car card & waybill operating scheme. It has been a very interesting and ever-evolving process.
Glad to be aboard.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  6:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, Patrick, Rich, Dick, Eric & Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to provide the introductions and background information. Welcome to the Forum. We hope that the time that you spend here adds to your enjoyment of the hobby!

skip
New Hire

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  8:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just joined the forum as Skip from New Mexico.

I've been model railroading since I was 5. I started with an Athearn Hustler and a circle of track on the carpet. I built my first layout, HO and HOn3, while in high school in the 1960s. When I went off to collage, I was fortunate to participate with all the fine folks who built the Denver and Western HO model railroad in the basement of the Colorado Railroad Museum. I must admit that I stayed mostly in the HOn3 part of the club although the standard gauge parts were tremendous.

I have lived the last 40 years in Colorado and New Mexico. and most of that time I have modelled Colorado and Southern in HOn3 and On3. Although the C&S has been my primary focus, living along the Chili Line has had its effect in the form of a T-12, a K-28, and a few coaches. Lately I have started playing with On30 and exploring sound and DCC. The On30 has no specific prototype, but is quite coloured by a tradition of Colorado mining railroads. While I draw from most of the Colorado narrow gauge, the F&CC, Otto Mears' three little shortlines out of Silverton, and the Gilpin are the primary drivers for my current On30 work. I'll probably hang out mostly in the On30 section and I will try to post an occasional photo of my efforts.

Whiskey
New Hire

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  5:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings! My nickname as long as I can remember has been "Whiskey." I figured I would take a hack at the list of questions on page 1.

1) Where do you live?
Oakton, Virginia
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
I have been modeling railroads off and on since I was seven. My first electric trainset of consequence was a Lionel Wabash Cannonball starter set. I still have all of the parts and pieces, but it did not survive the last three decades well. I have been modeling large-scale trains for the last ten years, focusing on indoor suspended layouts. Having just moved again, I am thinking of moving my operations outside into the backyard.
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
I have a great fascination with the LGB starter set locomotives and short rolling stock. I primarily use these to model my g-scale empire.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
As said above, I mostly use the LGB starter set steam locomotives. So perhaps early to mid 20th century steam power?
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
My layout is currently in boxes in the attic. I plan to bring some pieces out this spring.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
I try to use the LGB MTS system, but am looking to upgrade to a more fully-featured DCC system in the near future.
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
I love to play with toys. Slotcars, model trains, tractors, boats, cars.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.
A video instead? Here is a video of my layout in my last house. I was very sad to dismantle it.
Video of old layout

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  5:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone! Glad to be part of the best web forum for modellers out there! I build dioramas in HO scale, have no layout,and would like to post some photos of my work for input/commentary.
The procedure I followed from previous posts(IMG tags) leaves me with red x's in my preview box. Even if I don't use that, and leave it, the paper clip and jpg. attachment show up, and when you click on it, it can't find those either. Any guidance is appreciated.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  5:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Carl.
Your pictures won't post because you have an underscore in the name.
Names can only have letters and numbers in them.

As you think, so will you be.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  5:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skip, Whiskey & Carl,

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the introductions.

Carl, all the instructions for uploading photos can be found at this link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

The two biggest problems that new members have are file size (keep to 80mb or smaller) and file names - use only letters and numbers, no dashes or other punctuation marks, etc.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  6:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick and Bruce for your help, my photo was already resized to less than 80kb. Rick, if you meant the underscore that gets planted after the 12 digit number but before my file name, I tried that. No change. The name of my file was only two letters and one number. I grabbed it from my desktop. The box says it received the file. Any other suggestions? Sorry, I'm a bit of a rookie at this upload stuff.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  6:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" Rick, if you meant the underscore that gets planted after the 12 digit number but before my file name, I tried that."
That's not the one I meant.
I thought you had another one in the name but I guess I was wrong.

Carl, I just realized what the problem is.
There is a period in your user name.
I'll remove it and that should fix it.

As you think, so will you be.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  6:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, that did the trick. I just posted everything just fine on MCCC thread.

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000