Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew
Page: of 62

trainmann1206
New Hire

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  09:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi all! I'm in western NC and have been modeling for 4 decades (ouch!) My dad got me started in New York with the Long Island railroad two blocks from where we used to live. Currently I model a bridge route from Connelsville to Richmond Va area with CSX and NS interchanges late 80s early 90s era, primarily coal operations. When I married we found a house with basement :) AND with an office :) :). My HO layout is J shaped with 41 feet along the main shaft. I'm into operations and scenery, and Im not a fan of clubs with attitudinal members. Since I operate alone I still have DCC but someday I'll make the switch.

casspop
New Hire

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  12:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to everyone, I've been a "lurker" for a while getting the sense of the site and members. Seems like a great place to keep in touch with everyone and the members seem positive and encouraging. I've been Model Railroading since the 1950's and like most got started thanks to Dad and a Lionel Set. I'm retired now and my bride and I moved from upstate NY to Summerville, SC. Had enough of winter for a lifetime, thanks! Since there are virtually NO basements in this part of SC, my wonderful wife agreed to let me use a spare bedroom for a layout room 12 x 18 . I model in HO and am not as disciplined as a lot of you for roads to model. Currently I am focusing on NH, but have quite a bit of equipment from D&H (grew up near Colonie Shops), PC, Pennsy, EL, B&M and since moving some Southern Roads. The layout is built on shelf supports around the walls and is focused on the Northeast generic, so I can change equipment and era's. Pretty simple track plan with double track main as a concession to the grandkids who love to come over and just run trains. There is enough switching to keep me busy and operating at least somewhat prototypically . I enjoy modeling diesels and rolling stock, and don't enjoy electrical aspects at all. Control is DC with hand held controls as I have too many locos to convert to DCC. Track is probably 75%, buildings in place and 0% scenery so far. If I can figure out taking and posting pictures, I'd enjoy sharing those as well. Not so proficient with computers and cameras though. Look forward to being a member!

Pat Cassidy
Summerville, SC

BNSF Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  6:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I live in CT and have been modeling on/off for about 50 years. My parents gave me a Marx train for Christmas when I was about seven. In highschool I started scratch-building in HO scale and have stayed with HO ever since. I model the present day BNSF in Iowa. I am building a sectional layout and at my present rate of construction should be finished when I turn 155. Train control is via DigiTrax DCC, which I really like much better than DC. I probably like operation as much as anything, but don't dislike any specific area.

Respectfully,
BNSF Fan

Edited by - BNSF Fan on 05/03/2012 6:36:03 PM

Bob Rupp-Kilgore
New Hire

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  8:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well guys, I'm yet another refugee from the Atlas boards. I'll try not to cause too much trouble around here. I live in De Pere, Wisconsin, which is a suburb of Titletown U.S.A. Initially I started modeling on a 4'x8' "plywood pike" my dad set up for us when I was a kid. Middle school and high school brought other interests, and while at college I really didn't have anywhere to model. It was probably 1995 when I got back into the hobby in a serious way and have been fairly active since then.

My layout is based on 1987 to 2000 Wisconsin Central. The models are fairly strict to the prototype, but my actual layout is "protolanced" and does not represent any actual location. The HO scale layout is a shelf-type and runs around nearly 40% of my basement and is roughly 16' by 22' and is controlled by an older Digitrax "Big Boy" command station. As I've worked on my railroad, I've seen my interests ebb and flow. For a while I was really into weathering and super detailing engines, but recently I've been doing a lot of scenery work. Of course I've not touched the layout for nearly 2 months as we've been remodeling the other half of our basement.

Here's a picture me back in happier days, just a few months after the Packers won Superbowl XLV.

www.oldmuleysroundhouse.com

Hop-a-long "CASO"DEE
New Hire

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  11:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.

Hello All...

I live in central Ontario, Canada, in Haliburton County. It is one of the many versions of "God's Country". Few neighbours, GREAT well water, cheap taxes, and moose, deer, fox, BEAR, etc.
I love it.

I've been in modeling since my Dad bought me an American Flyer set for Christmas in 1954, and I wanted A-F rather than Lionel because I liked the 2 rails instead of 3, because 2 rails were more "realistic"...LOL
Shades of things to come? I love building structures and this forum is going to be FUN!
I've been in the hobby since that first train set. I am 62, going on 25 at times...

I model the Canada Southern that ran through Southern Ontario from Detroit to Niagara Falls in the summer of 1953. Transition steam/diesel. I have a somewhat scaled down version of St. Thomas along a 45 foot wall with staging tracks at each end, curving away to 90 degrees, with 5 tracks on each table. The one end is Windsor/Detroit, Chicago...California; the other end is Niagara Falls, Syracuse, N.Y. city, and Florida...etc.
I have the St Clair branch leave the main table and meander through the rest of my basement with all the towns that were serviced by the somewhat famous locomotive(s), #1290/1291, the 4-6-0's that were built in St. Thomas in 1900, and spent their entire career plying that general area.
This way I can have fairly large, big time railroading coming in and out of St. Thomas on the mainline, and enjoy the small, lazy, bucolic (sic) branch line railroading that is my first love. Ths St. Thomas table is strictly point to point, with the stagng tracks at each end.
I like the car card system for operation and the layout is most definitely operation oriented.

My layout is HO, and I am blessed with a large basement. The layout itself fills a space 45 feet by 26 feet, with a long table against 1 wall and a peninsular set of tables that has the St. Clair branch wandering through the rest of the basement. The branch, (AKA The Courtright Branch)
follows the prototype route with the depots being in the correct order, with some modeler's license as to the track configuration within the towns, but for the most part it will be a fairly represented version of the real thing. (I think?")
I have 7 wireless hand held MRC throttles, DCC, and can't say enough about how happy I am with these.
I am currently in the stages of a major re-build on my St. Thomas table, but is progressing well, and should be in good working order within a few weeks.

Model Railroading is, arguably, the world's GREATEST hobby.
I love every aspect of the hobby...the structure building, weathering, the historic element, hand laying track and turnouts, rolling stock, scenery, and especially the operation of the layout in a realistic prototype manner.
I have many friends in the hobby, and as diverse and "interesting" as the various personalities are, all in all, it is a good bunch of lads.
The down side of the hobby is some of the people have rather large egos, and this tends to be annoying at times, but it comes with the territory I suppose.
Remember, it is JUST a HOBBY...! LOL
I also wish there were more young people interested in getting involved. That might change, but I'm not too confident in that happening.
I am a dinosaur in this hobby as far as my love and interest is concerned.
I love the entire steam era most, but also like the early 1950's, as I do like the early diesel element of that time frame, but I must say that if I was a kid today, with the changes in modern railroading as compared to even 1960, I don't think the railroads of today would have captured my interest, and I fear I would probably not be in model railroading, as I find the modern stuff almost sterile and boring compared to years ago.

I conclusion; I am retired from 21 years as a government of Ontario employee; prior, I worked for the CPR for 16 years, quit in 1986 because it was no fun any more, worked in the bridge and building department in Windsor, Ontario, learned a lot of good stuff there. Had a great little foreman who could do amazing repairs with "a thumb tack and a piece of haywire" that engineering students would take a week to design and another 2 weeks to complete. His name was Lou Roloson from Tillsonburg, Ont. I'm sure he has passed on by now, but thanks for the experince Lou, I learned a great deal from you, old fellow, and I appreciate it.

Look forward to this forum and I'll try not to be too long winded...LOL

Eric Roth

Hoppy

buck385
New Hire

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  12:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit buck385's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi my name is Nelson and I am a refugee from the Atlas forum and I like trains;)

WSOR
New Hire

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  4:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another Atlas refugee...

1) Where do you live?
Wisconsin.

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
Not sure, been a long time. Maybe 1988 or so. Dad had a layout in the basement, and it went from there...

General mishmash of stuff. I should thin it down some...

Wisconsin-ish, maybe 1950s-current, need to narrow it down.

HO scale. My table in the basement is quite modest, 4x8, kinda.

The club layout is 16x45.

Playing with the trains, getting the trains to run, mechanical type stuff. Not too good with scenery, painting, creative type stuff.

Digtrax DCC, about 6-7 years worth of messing around. Now I am one of the "go-to" guys at club.

I operate in 1:1 scale, 5 or 6 days a week. I'll sometimes do things like this:

9) Post your picture - if you dare.

Edited by - WSOR on 05/11/2012 4:02:20 PM

dlreven
New Hire

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?
Ohio

I have been the hobby for 40 years with a break of 8 years during college and my first job after school.

I model both the New Haven and the Norfolk Western my layout is kind of freelance.

My layout is set in the mid 1960's with no specific geographic region.

HO scale. The layout started as a 4x8 and has been growing ever since roughly 8x15 now.

My favorite part of the hobby is detailing my models and weathering them. Least favorite is scenery.

DCC

I work in the 1:1 world

djconway
New Hire

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  1:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - all.
Yes I am the same djconway from the Atlas forum. Looking forward to linking up with former Atlas forumites.

1) Where do you live?
Springfield MA

I've been a "modeler" since 1965 when I received my first HO train set for Christmass. I count that as the start date rather than Christmas 1958 when I received my first Lionel train set. Been in N scale since the fall of 1973 - when I didn't have enough room in my dorm room for much more than a 9"x36" shelf layout.

I'm sort of a freelance/prototype modeler - The PRR in central PA that somehow escaped the PC - Conrail - NS merger/split. Based on the PRR Elmira branch.

Mid 1960's until I can fing some good running PRR steam then I may get more serious about the Elmira Secondary in the 1950's.

N Scale 10x22 shaped like a 'E' with an extra '-'

Favorites - planning Operations, and operations. Least fav- sceanery

Digitrax DCC with a computer interface.

I can be found many Saturday mornings track side with camera in hand.

piks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  3:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, djconway out of Springfield...be sure to share your Saturday morning trackside photos on the Thursday Proto Photo thread.

And Bob Rupp-Kilgore...nice Nitschke jersey. Wear it with Packer Pride......GO PACK

Skip...

Edited by - piks on 05/15/2012 06:18:22 AM

CBQ Guy
New Hire

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  2:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all. Finally got around to doing this write up but actually (re?)joined forum several days ago.

Born and raised in Chicago but now I’m currently retired in north-central Illinois with my still working wife in the LaSalle-Peru area which is about 90 miles southwest of Chi-town. Father to two daughters and grand-father to four grand-children with another boy due in July of 2012.

Been into the hobby on and off since 1956 when I received the almost obligatory, at that time, Lionel O-scale set under the Christmas tree at the age of three. Dad built me a table for it in the basement, sceniced it, and would add to my rolling stock and accessories inventory on special occasions like birthdays, etc. Over the years since I’ve also modeled in HO and N-scales.

I’m currently working on the ‘dream layout’ aka the ‘fogie layout’ as I doubt we’ll be leaving this place unless it’s in the horizontal position! It’s three times larger than the old house we raised our family in and the entire basement is all mine! I’m in the room prep stages –STILL, for those who know me from years past and elsewhere – but recently with the help of a friend we got about a third of the basement with a ceiling and drywall up. The entire basement area I’ll be doing the layout in is roughly 38x22 feet including a staging yard and dispatcher desk.

I’m modeling what they call nowadays a ‘prototype-based, free-lanced’ layout depicting the old CB&Q in late summer/early fall of 1969, about 6+ months before the merger which created BN, though at some time in the future I may bump the time frame up a couple years to just after the merger AND the start of Amtrak. That would allow me to add a greater and interesting variety of motive power and rolling stock. That’s the prototype part, as I’m following the “Q” fairly faithfully (when convenient!).

My modeled locale is the rural area ‘somewhere’ along the double-track main between Chicago and Galesburg, Illinois. The free-lance part is a fictional branch of the CB&Q I’m calling “The Illiniwek River Branch”. This part of the layout will meander about the center areas of the basement, with the double-track main circling the walls of the room – I’ll have both urban and rural areas to model. Oh, and the scale for this layout is HO.

My favorite part of the hobby is planning, scenery and detailing scenes, with carpentry, room lighting cost/installation and wiring probably my least favorite. After years of consideration and ping-ponging back and forth, I am currently and strongly leaning towards the old and familiar to me, DC and rotary cab control system. In that case desired throttles would be walk-around, plug in GML with possibly Aristocrat’s “Crest” IR throttles for the mains. I still haven’t decided if I’ll be using car cards or a computer program for operations.

Haven’t decided on an op system either – computerized printouts, car cards, hand written lists, etc. Dispatcher is envisioned to sit at a main panel and will be able to select power to areas of the layout he’ll give clearance to via the old Maxxon headset radios, as well as throwing mainline turnouts, all via switches and indicator lights on his panel. The panel itself will be painted and diagrammed sheet metal so as to allow the DX to use magnetic markers to indicate the areas of the layout he has given clearance for the various trains to operate on.

I also like the friendships and people you meet in our hobby. I was very active in attending meets, swaps, etc., and involved in the NMRA in past years, as well, however now I have forgone most of that and am seeming to become more of a ‘lone-wolf’ modeler again, though I keep in occasional touch with a few friends I’ve met in the hobby – and, of course my LHS owner, too!

--
"Paul - The CB&Q Guy"
Spending most of my time and money on trains...
(...and basically wasting the rest.)
--

piks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  6:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CBQ Guy..."FREEtired". I like that...
Welcome.

Skip...

Craig W Nelson
New Hire

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  2:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I am a 2nd generation Model Railroader from Oakville, Ontario. (Originally from Ottawa) My father was a model railroader in Ottawa and we have both been members of the same local club as one of your members, Mike Hamer (Hi Mike) My father had his first train set at the age of 8 and I was kind of born into it (drifted in and out, lol)

Due to my fathers passing, along with the ONR and CN I always modeled, I also now seem to be a CPR guy! We always concentrated on the North Bay & Mattawa area in HO. Dad created a freelance line called the Kipawa Interprovincial, mostly to run locos that did not fit the prototypical roads in the area.

I have also dabbled in Large scale as well.

I have a daunting task in front of me, I have to move my fathers 18" x 24" layout to my house within the next year, no it was not built to move! Its a great layout, very sceniced (is that a word?) We run Digitrax. Mostly Diesel era, but with a little freelanced logging area because logging locos are just too cool! My dads blog has a lot of video & shots of the layout at http://budnelsonsblog.blogspot.ca/

I sell sign making equipment for a living at my own company www.theequipmentguy.ca and I also fix and repair old Harleys as a sideline/hobby.

Thats me in a nutshell. Looking forward to enjoying your forum!

Craig W Nelson

HO, G, CPR, CN & ONR in the North Bay area

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  5:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Craig, Wow! So glad you joined the forum. There certainly is a lot of expertise here! Craig, we all miss your dad so much. He would always come up and say hello to me at the OVAR meetings. He was a great model railroader and a fine ambassador to the hobby.

That's great the his memory will live on through the railroad. That's a daunting task you have ahead of you with the dismantling and moving of the layout. If you need a hand, feel free to give a shout!

The video at your dad's train blog sure was fun to watch!

Once again, a great big welcome to the forum!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

nursemedic97
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  01:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm another Atlas 'fugee.

1) Where do you live? Fort Lupton, CO

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? Around 30 years, give or take. My parents got me the infamous Tyco Chattanooga Choo-Choo set when I was 3 or 4 and I've dabbled off and on since then.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? I protofreelance, based on the Ann Arbor and Great Lakes Central (ex-Tuscola & Saginaw Bay, ex-Ann Arbor).

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Roughly present day, State of Michigan

5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? I model HO. Don't have an exact layout size, but is a loop-to-loop with a 4x10 on one end and 4x8 on the other with around 17 linear feet between them.

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? My most favorite part of the hobby is the room for artistic expression and recreating scenes that you remember. My least favorite part is the negative personalities who, while few and far between, seem to dominate much discussion, especially online.

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? I have an MRC Prodigy Express, but only 2 DCC-equipped locos.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by - nursemedic97 on 06/06/2012 01:34:13 AM

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Bob Rosenbauer (RobertR) joins the RR Line Forums Topic Next Topic: Gary Hannibal Joins the Crew  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000