Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 135 ]  [ Newest Member: RexsDad ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member
Page: of 61

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  08:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Carmine and Denny. I think you'll find a lot of good information here to help you with your modeling. I hope you share information on your projects too.

George

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  08:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit behind in welcoming our newest members.
Welcome everyone and thanks for telling us a little about yourselves and your hobby interests.
It's nice to see many of you actively participating on the forums.

As you think, so will you be.

tripleb
New Hire

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  8:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I am Bill Eldredge. My layout is the Eastern Pacific And Coastal Railroad. It is a G scale garden railroad located in my front yard located in Castroville Ca. midway between Santa Cruz and Monterey on the Monterey Bay coast

CNE Runner
New Hire

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  5:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. My name is Ray O'Donnell and I live in Northeastern Alabama. The name of my layout is the Monks' Island Railway which consists of two mini layout plans from Carl Arendt's website (the Monks' Island Brewery and Mill Street). Currently I am operating in DC, but plan to change to DCC in the near future. I have no doubt that I can learn a great deal from this forum.

Regards,
Ray

"Keeping my hand on the throttle, and my eyes on the rail."

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  5:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill and Ray, welcome to the forums.
Glad you could join us.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  7:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Bill and Ray. Thanks for introducing yourselves.

George

Bmurphy
New Hire

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  08:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully I am doing this correctly, I have read this forum for awhile, but have never registered or posted anything. So as an introduction here it goes.

My name is Ben, and I am from Aliquippa, PA(small town outside of Pittsburgh). My father and I have a rather extensive collection of Lionel trains, and a large layout(no gasps please, I will get to the point). Last year at a local show we came across the Walthers blast furnace model, and were very intriqued. We both worked in the steel industry in out town, and are avid J&L historians. Needless to say the steel industry models have been purchased and the planning stages are beginning. Having said that we are very much novices in the HO world, and have been taking in vast amounts of information in a short amount of time. The information and layouts on this site are at a level we can only hope to achieve. Especially the Harsco Steel based layout. All I can say is wow, plus the timeline construction details will be a huge help to us. Sorry if I am rambling.

We are planning on a small around the room shelf style layout, consisting of steel mill operations based loosly on the J&L Aliquippa Works circa 1950-1960.

Due to our level of experience, and layout size, we will probably be going straight DC for power and control.

Of course I will be chiming in more often as the newbie(read dumb) questions arise. Thanks in advance, and keep up the excellent posts.

Ben

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  08:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben, welcome to the Forum and thanks for telling us a bit about your (and your dad's) interests.

A steel mill operation can be a great focus for the hobby. I think that Kalmbach still has their steel mill book for sale at a fairly reasonable price.

Then there are the resources here on the forum. You will find Rick (Harsco) readily willing to offer advice, I'm sure.

We also have some members in your area. Don (AVRR-PA) and Vagel can't be too far from you.

Again, welcome!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  6:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?

Sun City Center, Florida

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?

55+ years. Triang trainset as child

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?

In the past, AT&SF in N scale
NZR in Sn3 1/2
W&MR in Hn3 1/2 current

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?

No, the garden grows what it grows

5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?

About 60 x 30
Hn3 1/2

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?

Planning and operation

Hand-laying track

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?

DC, DCC, R/C

8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.

Science teacher
Author of Digitrax Big Book of DCC

9) Post your picture - if you dare
Federal regulations prevent this

Edited by - Schoolmaster on 01/10/2012 6:38:01 PM

luvchikn
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  07:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all

I live in the Seattle area and am brand new to craftman kit and scratch building. There is a local HO club that I belong to and my first project is completed. An HOn3 boxcar from a Balboa kit. I give it a C+ for a grade.

The biggest hurdle that I ran into was the Westinghouse brake. Does anybody have a detailed picture or plan showing the bottom of a car with the brake system in clear detail? A link, a picture, a drawing. I understand the mechanism, just not the placement.

It is my goal to stay in the WW1 era, with maybe 1920 being the cut off. A Narrow Gauge RR mountain scene with a standard gauge interface.

Thank you for a great forum. Probably will be here often.Text

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  08:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John & Bobby, thanks for the introductions and welcome to the RR-L Forums.

quote:
[i]

The biggest hurdle that I ran into was the Westinghouse brake. Does anybody have a detailed picture or plan showing the bottom of a car with the brake system in clear detail? A link, a picture, a drawing. I understand the mechanism, just not the placement.

Bobby, here is a link to one of my threads that has some underframe pictures of my HOn3 scratch builds.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24897&whichpage=28

There are other pictures throughout the thread. It really depends on how much of the detail you want to include. I'm on the 'minimalist' side.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome John and Bobby.

Bobby, it's nice having another biker on board.
Also, I'm sure someone here will have a picture/diagram of what you're asking for, but I'm not sure if your question will be seen here.
Just in case you don't get a reply I'd post your question in the Crew Lounge.
That area of the forum get a lot more traffic.

TulsaFlyer
New Hire

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  7:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I said hello in the ON30 section. Might as well say hi here as well.

Basic info:
My name is Jody, Male, 46, married, two daughters, two grandsons.

Looks like I will be hanging out in the ON30 section quite a bit. Recently being infected with narrowgaugeitus.

Jody

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  8:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, John, Bobby and Jody. It looks like the narrow minded gauge ranks are growing.

George

Tom Me
New Hire

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  7:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom Me's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, by the numbers;
1) I live in the most southern part of New York State
2) My father had sons so he could buy Lionel Trains, when I got to my early teens I sold Christmas cards to get a Tyco HO set.
3) Both, I am an EL fan but having a freelance as well allows me to add non EL items that I like, such as a RS-27
4) I model 1967, the age of aqueous.
5) HO and it is around 16x16 around the room, but if I win the lottery, I am changing to S scale
6) I love Scenery and dislike wiring.
7) I use the MRC Prodigy Advanced DCC system.
8) Member of the NMRA, officer of the local, Garden State Division and enjoy having model RR friends around the world.

Download Attachment: profile.jpg
106.02 KB

Page: of 61 Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000