Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Two Midweek Arrivals Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member
Page: of 62

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  10:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Daryl and Robin. Thanks for introducing yourselves.

George

haphall
New Hire

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  1:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey. I'm Hap from Hot Springs, Arkansas. We need a LHS in this town.
I model the Missouri & North Arkansas (MNA=May Never Arrive) circa 1907. I'm also working on a little module for a club I recently joined. Took about 50 years off from the hobby, but I'm back, with an enclosed garage to make ready for the BIG layout I've been dreaming of.
Everything's HO right now.
Just discovered these forums. Lotsa good layouts and some really helpful folks.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  08:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darry, John, Joe, Lyles, Robin and Hap, welcome to the forums.

As you think, so will you be.

BlackCavalier52
New Hire

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  8:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlackCavalier52's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?
-currently in West Lafayette, Indiana

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
-when I first began my studies at Purdue, I took a strong liking to watching trains at the Big Four Depot.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
-I'm a member of a club with a freelanced layout.

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
-Not at the moment. The club is meant to be ambiguous, but personally I'd like to model the Calumet Region when I have space for my own.

5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
-Large, two rooms, I believe its around 600 ft - HO Scale

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
-Operations and Design. Least: my unsteady fingers...

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
-DCC (Digitrax)

8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
-I'm a champion auto-x racer and liscened truck driver.

9) Post your picture - if you dare.
...I'll try in a little while, lol

*edit*

Edited by - BlackCavalier52 on 03/28/2011 9:09:43 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  07:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for introducing yourself, Gabriel. Welcome aboard.

George

ronklint
New Hire

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  08:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just joined your forum and this is my intro letter. I live in Batavia, IL and just got started in N scale railroading. Building a layout that is on three sides of a 15 X 12 room and it is not modeled after any particular railroad. I am using DCC with a Zephyr plus. I am interested right now in build stratified rock walls for the two inclines I have on my layout. I am trying in N scale to model the cuts made into limestone hills when they make a pass for a interstate or a railroad pass. Most molds appear to model HO or larger scale. Any advise would be appreciated.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  08:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, Ronklint. I'm an HO modeler, but I'm sure one of our N-Scale modelers could give you some tips. I'll direct one or two to your question.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  2:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ronklint and welcome to the forum! I'm also an N scaler but I'm unaware of anybody making scale specific rock molds. If you can't find any commercial molds that suit you, you might want to consider making your own. For the type of rock formations you are talking about stacking ceiling tiles (probably at a slight angle) then lightly wire brushing them before painting them with a heavy coat of latex paint might work.

Mike

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  6:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome ronklint. While not a N scaler myself, Tyson's comment reminded me of two articlse in MR some years ago, probably around 1980, about using linoleum paste to represent stratified rock wall cuts. There also was an article on modeling the Niagara Escarpment in the Dec'80 MR which also caught my attention. I was impressed by how well the techniques worked, thus my memory of the articles.

If memory serves me correctly, the ceiling tile technique is presented in Bill McClanahan's book Scenery for Model Railroads, so you may be able to see how the technique was used by a master. Jim Kelly also presented an article on the use of ceiling tile rock faces in the April '81 MR.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 03/31/2011 6:26:22 PM

rabiddog9
New Hire

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  07:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
My name is John and I've been lurking here for a while, I found this forum about 4 months ago and have enjoyed it very much. The wealth of information here is enormous and extremely useful, and for that I thank you all.
I have been a model railroader since age 7 and it all started with an O27 three rail set from my parents. I moved into N scale for a while as a youth with a "Plywood Central" in the basement....amazing how much fun one can have with an imagination and a few pieces of track.
Sometime in the late 60's I saw my first copy of Model Railroader and soon thereafter RRMC with some finescale work on the covers...I was really hooked then. It was then I saw the products coming out of FSM in the early years and from then on was a structure freak. Been a fan of E.L. Moore and John Allen in the early years and later George Sellios and others.
I grew up in the NY tri-state area and later moved to upper New England. With career and family I was only able to build a few structures and armchair layouts on paper and in my head. I have acquired a few FSM kits and others over the years and have vowed to build them now that our kids are mostly out of the house. I am working on a proper layout in a 13 by 21 foot room with no obstructions. City Industrial with a waterfront will be the theme. The plan is around the walls 30" shelf probably twice around. The plan will be from bits and pieces of previously published Plans that I have borrowed and linked to form a system. I like switching. NYC B&M NH will likely be represented. Time frame 1930's-1940's and in HO scale. Simce i am starting anew, control will be DCC from the start...I like sound as well. Signals and the electronics involved confuse me so as much as I'd like to design in signaling....unless someone comes out with an easy foolproof sig system that may only remain a dream.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  08:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, John. It sounds like you have a good concrete plan forming for your layout.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  08:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Ron and John. Thanks for taking time to introduce yourselves. Dont be afraid to jump in and join the discussions. Its a great way to learn.

George

Blackcloud Railways
New Hire

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  12:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blackcloud Railways's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I think I may have been a member here before but cannot remember my log in details and have changed email provider since then so I've rejoined. I'm Bob Hughes, from Sandbach in the UK.

At the moment I'm heavily involved with an On30 modular layout, part of which I use at home between shows, but also dabble in other scales. The main reason for my (re)joining is because a friend emailed me with a link to your "Carl Arendt Layout Challenge". I've had several of my models included on Carl's site in the past and sincerely hope that the current efforts to keep it going are successful, though I suspect that the change of management will bring a change of style... Time will tell.

I'll post further in the challenge thread when I have something suitable on plywood (or MDF) to photograph.

stony creek
New Hire

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  11:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G'day fellow modellers, my name is Richard, I'm from Melbourne Australia and have been retired for just over ten years.
I flew radio control model aircraft for thirty years then decided to turn my interest to trains, I went along with two hobbies for a while but decided one had to go so for about the last twenty years or so I've been a train man.
Started out in N and was there for quite a few years then switched to HO, a couple of years later went to HOn 2 1/2 it was here that my passion for Narrow Gauge developed .
For approximately the last seven years I have been doing ON30 and have never looked back.
I enjoy running the trains but must admit that being a keen scratch-builder, the building side of things is where my main interest is,
I'm a freelance modeller and concentrate mainly Australian around the 30's to 50's era. My layout is operated on DC and is an L shape and all up is 13 foot 6 inches long.
Apart from the layout I also enjoy building the occasional diorama.
Most of my time is naturally taken up with the trains but outside that I don't mind a bit of fishing and
I'm a mad keen Speedway bike and Moto GP fan and I also like the Australian v8 Supercars.

Cheers Richard.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  07:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob and Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to tell us a bit about your modeling interests. Welcome to the Forum!

Bruce

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Two Midweek Arrivals Topic Next Topic: vinceg  is now a member  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000