Railroad Line Forums - Constructing the Conrail C&P Line
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Constructing the Conrail C&P Line
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: The C&D Railroad - Pacific Division
Page: of 21

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  2:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing the progress and feedback others have received on their construction threads, I figured I'd throw another into the ring. I've been building in spurts benchwork for an eventual N-scale, Conrail layout, tentatively named the Conrail C&P line. The idea is a secondary main line for Conrail that served the southernmost cities of its network, i.e., Baltimore/Wilmington on the east and Columbus/Cincinnati/St. Louis to the west. I will be using about 2/3s of my basement, leaving the other 1/3 for storage.

I started framing the one half of the basement as I originally was going to model the Harrisburg Line from Harrisburg through Lebanon, Pa., however I never came up with a great or operationally interesting plan. As the pictures below show, I framed out walls for the shelf portion of the layout:

This section is about 10 3/4' wide by 20' to the stairs, where I'm standing taking the picture. After going to the MER Princeton Convention, I decided I really needed to expand the layout footprint to get some flow and distance on travel across the layout which is when I decided to expand into the other half of the basement, but only so far as the other side of the wall on the left of the of the picture above and a peninsula. I kept all my aisle widths at 36" and most of the shelving is at either 12" or 15", with only the engine terminal area of the yard designed out to 18". Here are the current plans for both the upper and lower levels, respectively:
Upper Level:

Lower Level:
].

The upper level has a branch line that goals around the peninsula serving two coal mines. I actually based the designs of these off of Conrail ZTS charts from the West Virginia Secondary Track. In addition to the branch, the main customer on the upper level is the chemical plant. A small yard is also located on this level to sort cars for the chemical plant and mine.
The lower level contains the main classification yard, an small intermodal facility, auto plant and power plant. The design for the power plant is based on a power plant outside of Reading along some portion of the Harrisburg line. I may downgrade the auto plant in its size and replace with a smaller parts plant as it represents an assembly plant right now. Each level has other smaller, a few car-type industries scattered around it as well.

With the plan in place, I began benchwork construction in earnest after the MER convention using shelf standards:

and cutting 1x3s and 1x2s for bracket, bracket arms and joist supports:

I'm hoping to get more plywood to rip into 1x3s to complete all the pieces I need to get into heavy benchwork building over the next weeks. Thanks for reading,

Phil

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Phil. Looking forward to running some CR blue there soon.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, it's good to see you on the forum and starting this thread. I'm looking foward to seeing your construction progress.

Like you, I too am using those same wall brackets. They work out great, but I must confess I like the way you are using them for both levels. Now why didn't I think of that!

Mark

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, The brackets ride again. I need to go buy Rubbermaid stock!

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  12:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I've actually been doing a slight mod to the plan after spending some time in the basement today. The second helix by the furnace was a little overly optimistic as I don't believe it will actually fit there. I'm going to have to redo that side and it will end up being looped staging plus branch/industrial.

Also, the brackets I used are Knape&Voght Heavy Duty series 82, I believe. I think they are much cheaper, especially buying online from stores on Amazon, then the Rubbermaid stuff. As for using them for both levels, here's why I didn't use the for two "visible" levels. The standards take up 3/4" of space from the supporting wall/benchwork. Then there is the issue of fastening the backdrop to the standards. Depending on your backdrop material, this could be done using liquid nails or some kind of extra support is created to fasten the backdrop to. This could take away an additional 3/4" to 1 1/2", depending on what's used for the support framework. When I'm already working with 12" or 15" wide shelves and trying to maintain aisles of 36", every little 3/4" counts. Now, if I don't put the staging at the bottom most level, then the brackets are going up top as the valence support/shelf above the layout.

I'm also making 'C's of 1x3 which will be glued and screwed together and then mounted to the side of the studs, one reason I did not finish the walls I put up (the other being I don't want anything to be "permanent" which is why everything is screwed, even the sill plates to the concrete slab, and open for full viewing after seeing what happened with my brother while trying to sell his house). I've been buying some cheap, partial sheets of cabinet grade plywood to rip my dimensional lumber. In addition to being cheap from a cost standpoint, they aren't too big of pieces to handle running through the table saw,

Phil

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  09:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased some more wood on Friday and spent Saturday ripping the plywood. My dad came over and helped measure stuff that needed to be cut and between some cutting on Saturday and Sunday before the Eagles game, I cut all the wood I need for brackets and joists. Here's how my basement looks at the moment:

We'll call that the "before" picture, :)

Hopefully I can build the brackets/risers and peninsula legs over the rest of the week. Unfortunately, doing all this over the weekend didn't allow me to go to the open houses in the area over the weekend. I hope all went well with them,

Phil

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  09:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, Your off to great start there, well done! I like the idea of ripping plywood I agree it is cheaper and will provide uniform boards.

Cheers!, Joe

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  09:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

Phil, Your off to great start there, well done! I like the idea of ripping plywood I agree it is cheaper and will provide uniform boards.

Well, that's assuming I can cut straight on the table saw, which is debatable at this point, :)

Phil

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  10:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice blank canvas.
I'll be following along.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  11:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your off to a great start! I'm going to enjoy watching this one develope!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  06:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep posting, Phil....a crowd is gathering! Looks like a winner....

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  06:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Phil,

What you have complete looks great. I will certainly follow your progress.

One question: what heights do you have your levels set at? ... ok, two questions ... how deep are your shelves?

Thanks!
Joe <><

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  08:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

First level is 40" high, second at 56" and top valence will be 70". That's for the top of the joists. Since this is somewhat of a mountain railroad, the track will climb slightly higher than those two heights. Also, the shelves around the outside are kept at approximately 15" on the first level, and 12"-15" on the second. All peninsulas will have 12" shelves. The only bump out I have is to 18" where the engine facility will be located. Having the shelving in this manner allows for minimum 36" aisles and the aisle with the yard may push 40". Thanks guys!

Phil

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  09:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
a crowd is gathering!

Should I be concerned?

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  09:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, If you plan on being the first N scale operational rr in sj then yes you can be affraid but kinda in good way?
Joe

Cheers!, Joe

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  09:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good, no pressure there,

Phil

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: The C&D Railroad - Pacific Division  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000