Railroad Line Forums - Guardhouse for the Gear Plant
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Guardhouse for the Gear Plant
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: South River Modelworks Robinsons Electric Build Topic Next Topic: Suydam HO DIESEL HOUSE  

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  11:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
During WWII, the Navy built a marine gear plant to the east of the B&M Eastern Route, opposite the main GE River Works complex. Into the 1960s it had a high chain-link fence with guard towers. I'll get to that eventually, but I noticed a cast metal kit from Stewart that would serve as a guardhouse where the road crossed the B&M from the main plant:

It's a pretty simple kit, except that the kit roof wasn't going to fit without a lot of filing, and I didn't like it much anyway.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  11:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Assembly is dirt simple, but before I applied the CA I spent a while with various files making sure the parts fit well. The windows had some flash, the edges of the castings had some too. I rubbed flat surfaces across a large file to level them off.

The side walls interlock with the front and back. But the front and back stood a bit proud of the sides, so I had to file the edges down to where the cast-in block joints disappeared. I re-cut them with a razor saw.

The supplied roof (I think) has a large protrusion in the middle which kept it from fitting as either a roof or a floor. Rather than file it off, I decided to build a styrene roof with both pitch and overhang, as appropriate for the New England climate. Its late, so I'll work out the details another evening.

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  08:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you are having some fun.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  5:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This afternoon I made a new shed roof from Evergreen styrene. The pitch is about 1 in 8.

I used.020 V-Groove for the roof deck and side walls, scale 2x4 for the rafters and blocking at the back and .060 x .188 with the roof's angle filed on the top for the front. I scribed some grooves into the front to simulate individual boards.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  6:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I often wondered about these kits, James. I see them in my hobby shop, but I've never seen a completed kit. You're doing a good job with this one.

Chuck

Previous Topic: South River Modelworks Robinsons Electric Build Topic Next Topic: Suydam HO DIESEL HOUSE  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000