Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 165 ]  [ Total: 167 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nye, Inyo & Esmeralda Railroad Topic Next Topic: Oregon Lumber Co.
Page: of 83

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/15/2020 :  9:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Very nice videos, thank you!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  10:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished all the brass work on the Heisler and sandblasted it for paint. After sandblasting I saw a few areas that needed some more attention with the wire wheel. next up is paint and weathering.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  10:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking quite fine already. Can't wait to see it painted!

-Cody

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2020 :  06:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you!

the paint is mostly done, I still have to do the side rods and some detail paint, then it is weathering time. I decided to do a very drab basic all black paint job. I was looking through the "Trackside West Virginia" book and saw a few all black locomotives and I really liked the understated look. I also saw a locomotive in that book with what looked like a wet smokebox that I tried to duplicate a color called "fresh engine oil", but I think I am going to paint over it, to me it is more common to see a flatter finish on the smokebox and more sheen on the rest of the locomotive.

I tried something interesting for the number, years back I was sent some laser cut stencils from Quarryman (Mark) and I used them for the number on the tender. I decided that this is going to be a logging locomotive and I didn't want to have any railroad name on it, as if it was just another tool for them to use and its life expectancy is short.

here is #4 with shay #8, they are about the same size now.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2020 :  07:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

The basic black paint job looks very industrial. It seems to "shrink" the apparent size of the locomotive ... at least that is the impression I get from the photos.

Since the Heisler was probably delivered with nice striping and lettering and is now basic black with a stenciled number, you could come up with a backstory about an accident or major repair after which the shop crew repainted it.

Saw your weathering techniques on the videos you posted. Looking forward to seeing what you do with old #4.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2020 :  3:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, looks sharp! I'm also impressed with your track work and ground cover, very realistic!

-Cody

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  07:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOOD NEW (for me), The Heisler runs, and runs good. It took me several tries to find the magic combination of drive lines and gears to get what I was looking for but I finally got it.

here is just a sample of the many gearboxes I printed for testing, this is about half of the total I tried because some I already threw away.

I also decided to do a "fancy" paint job instead of the black dip job. I had started weathering it so I just sandblasted it again and repainted it black added the strips around the cab and tank. I changed the paint job because I felt the strips made the engine not look so long and lanky, I know that seems funny but the eye can play funny tricks with the brain.

I have some final parts to add, like headlight glass and brakes, then I will touch up the chips and finish the weathering and call it good, I am so glad to be moving on. However, as much of a pain this was to build and get running I learned a lot and I think I now have the drive that I want to use on my shays.

Speaking of shays, the first on the table will be shay #8, but first I have to do some small projects to cleanse the pallet. I need some quick project before I jump into another hard job like the Heisler was.

This week I will get a video of the Heisler once all the little items are wrapped up.

On a side note I did start a weathering test on a tank car that I am not using. Years ago I saw a San Juan Car Company tank car that I just had to buy. The car just sat on the display shelf I had in the old layout room. this tank car is actually responsible for helping me with a design issue with my original operating hopper cars. I thought it would be fun to try and weather it with Mig military weathering washes.

here is the progress so far.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  08:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your Heisler looks terrific with the striping.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  08:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive work!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  08:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the Heisler video. That's a fine weathering job on the tank car.

George

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2020 :  08:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Impressive work!

I'll second that for sure!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone. It's done! (for now). I installed a TCS Wow decoder but I only set the address to #4 for now, I can fine tune it later when I get a layout and actually have to run it more than 36". It has been a long road with this one and I am glad to be done.

here is a quick run by, sorry about the bad lighting
https://youtu.be/LQybn6IOm8c

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  09:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with the lighting. Looks good.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Page: of 83 Previous Topic: Nye, Inyo & Esmeralda Railroad Topic Next Topic: Oregon Lumber Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000