Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 175 ]  [ Total: 180 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nye, Inyo & Esmeralda Railroad Topic Next Topic: Oregon Lumber Co.
Page: of 83

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2020 :  10:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

Only one thing I'd nitpick over. With all that loading/unloading, there had to be a huge amount of coal dust. Are you going to hit the structure(s) with a good deal of soot to simulate all that coal dust getting on everything?

Thanks! Coal dust won’t be an issue because I am not using coal, it is screened black aquarium rock.

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  03:35:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

Only one thing I'd nitpick over. With all that loading/unloading, there had to be a huge amount of coal dust. Are you going to hit the structure(s) with a good deal of soot to simulate all that coal dust getting on everything?

Thanks! Coal dust won’t be an issue because I am not using coal, it is screened black aquarium rock.

It's a very good idea to use that aquarium rock, it will make operations a lot cleaner and thus you will have no maintenance due to clogged hinges etc.
However I believe Arthur is hinting at the prototype: A coal loading/unloading operation would throw up a lot of coal dust, so your model might be considered as appearing too clean.

That being said, your model and whole layout is an amazing piece of work and art! I totally adore models that are so detailed and on top of that fully operational. Keep it up!

Frédéric

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  07:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct, the prototype loading/unloading was always a terrible mess until water was utilized as a means of tamping down the dust.

In the below picture, you can see the hopper in the upper left.

Arthur

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  09:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black Lung Disease.... Lots of coal dust in that picture.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  10:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I read it wrong. You’re correct that it should be dusty from coal loading, and when when I made the statement “done” I guess I should have said “done for now”, I still have lights that need to have the wires routed and my little surprise installed.

Since you mentioned coal dust I had to go back and look at the photos I have and what is interesting is that I don’t see a lot of coal dust, even in the photo I have of them loading a car. I wonder if they treated the coal at the strip mine so it was dustless. What is interesting is in the photos I have of workers in the photos, the workers are not all that dirty, and you think they would standing in the shed with the cars. I may have to look into that more.

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  3:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any information on when your photos were taken? Same question to Arthur.
I'm no expert on industrial history, but AFAIK concern for workers' health was neglected until the mid 20th century. Here's some reference concerning coal miners, other labours in the line of coal production would follow suit instead of spearheading improvements, I guess. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalworker%27s_pneumoconiosis#History

So, dating the pictures might help in understanding or at least making a argument for the model's sake. As in: "The coal loading facility of the model layout is equipped with sprinkler systems, which were quite new at that time, to keep the dust development in check".
That would give you some freedom to decide whether you want the grimey look of early industries or a more cleaner look.

Arthur: Do you happen to have information on when that picture was taken?

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  5:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the whole railroad shut down in 1955 so all photos are before then.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  11:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the photo does not have a date on it, but Chris is right that it is for sure before 1955. the photo of the man loading hoppers in a white shirt (looking rather clean) was taken by Phil Hastings, and I have seen other photos by Phil Hastings taken of the MC in 1953, and judging by the tipple modifications I would say the loading photo was taken during the same 1953 trip. Aside from what may or may not have been the case I did add some coal dust under the shed.

I posted a "how to video" on Youtube that shows the tipple all broken down, but if you have followed along with this post you pretty much have seen it all.

As the last post about the tipple until it gets installed on the layout I did two more things to it, the first is installing lights in the car loading shed. I am not sure how may bulbs are in the shed, but from the photo I know there was at least one builb, however I added four. the bulbs are 1.5V bulbs that I 3D printed bases for. the bases are a little over sized but they look better than no base at all. I could have used LEDs but when they were off they would not looked as good as standard bulbs.

The last thing I installed, and the special surprise...wait for it.....I installed a micro camera under the loading shed so it is easier for an operator to see the cars load! I am sure it will be fine to operate without the camera but it never hurts to provide another viewing / operating option. IT is amazing the possibilities these days, and how cheap it is. I am using a small wired camera that I found on Ebay, along with a 4.5" backup camera screen, both powered by 12V.

well, that's it, it is time to move on to something new, and did I find it. Again, I had full intentions of starting on Shay #8, but when I started digging through boxes to look for parts I found another project I put aside. It is funny how easy it is to get side tracked (no pun intended), but this is a hobby and you have to go where the fun takes you. So, as a way to cleanse the palate from all this intense prototype modeling I am doing a (I hope) quick semi-fictional project, and here is the start.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2020 :  1:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the new project is actually an old project, somewhere in this post i started to work on an old On3 Westside brass Heisler. After purchasing it I learned that when Westside had the O scale model made they just told them (or someone did) to double the size of the HO model, which as we now know does not exactly work. The model is way oversized. it is shipped with O scale and On3 trucks and with the O scale trucks it is semi-passable but with the On3 trucks on it and sitting next to my other equipment it just looked odd. if you search back in this post you can see that I set out to make a new cab and totally chopped up the frame and other parts with the goal to make it look closer to O scale. I also wanted to repower it with a better motor. I contacted Lee Snover before he passed and he sent me a chain drive and coreless motor, which made it run ok, but one of the sprocket was not exactly the correct pitch and the chain jumped a little, plus the chain would ride funny going downhill and the locomotive had a bad buck.

in the previous post I showed my new gearbox design, it uses Athearn HO scale locomotive truck gears. The backhead will serve as the gearbox cover and there will be some simple detail parts printed in it and some casting applied. these days I don't go over the top on interior details anymore, I would rather have the locomotive be durable and easily serviceable then have lots of hard to work around details. the new gearbox moves the motor from the tender to the boiler, the bottom of the boiler is cut in half and the new gear box now forms the bottom half of the boiler.

all the cut apart pieces that I posted photos of years ago are now all put back together and I can now see how it all worked out. I am pretty happy with the new proportions, it is now only a little bigger looking than the Bachmann On30 Climax I have (gauged to On3)

here is the original cab compared to the new cab I am building. the cab is built from parts I photo etched in 0.015" sheet brass using a Micromark etch kit.

here is the new gear box, it was printed on my Epax X1 printer.

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  5:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crazy someone spent all the money to have those made and couldn't even give them the correct scale ratio...

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  10:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the third picture the painted Climax is that the Bachman you converted to ON3?

Did you ever write on how you did it and detailed it?

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  07:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

In the third picture the painted Climax is that the Bachman you converted to ON3?

It is a Bachmann On30 gauged to 36". I did it very long ago, i don't exactly how i did it but I remember it was really easy and fast.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  07:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

i did a search and when I built the climax i was still doing On30, however I did not show the the building process, just photos of it.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29108&SearchTerms=climax

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 09/04/2020 :  5:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
progress on the Heisler has been slow. I did get an order from PSC for some parts and I am now able to push the project forward. I started add the bead around all the roof and tender, I added the window frames to the sides (still have to do the front), and I started some of the piping. The steam dome has been an issue for a while, I had to significantly modify it but now I think I have it as good as it is going to get without just switching it out for a new one (which I do not have). I still have to add the hatch to the top of the cab and then a little more piping and I will pretty much be done. The generator and the air tank will be fun details to add due to their uncommon locations.

while I was photo etching the window frames I made these interesting perforated plates that are on the sides of the firebox on Cass Heisler #6, I thought they were interesting so I added them to mine, they are just ahead of the cab and below the walkways. I also needed to find a way to reduce the height of the stack, which I ended up hiding by building up a spark arrestor that I made from more photo etched parts, it might not be prototypical but it helps visually reduce the out of scale size of the stack.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2020 :  06:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
had a busy summer with 1:1 projects, but this week I am back to the basement.

one thing I did do over the summer was make a 2 part video of painting a casting (I used a Bachmann On30 side dump car) to look like wood using washes. Part one is how I paint the wood parts, part 2 is how I paint the metal parts.

Part 1
https://youtu.be/gMYtCSczCH8

Part 2
https://youtu.be/yYA3y6fP-Vs

Page: of 83 Previous Topic: Nye, Inyo & Esmeralda Railroad Topic Next Topic: Oregon Lumber Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000