Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 227 ]  [ Total: 227 ]  [ Newest Member: vdohar ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Live steam logging equipment
Page: of 82

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  07:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great work on the tipple, you are moving fast! Can't wait to see the results. Thanks for posting your "how to" as your ideas will inspire others (me as one).

Cheers,

Brian

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  08:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the house

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  1:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That tiny servo gives a sense of scale!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  08:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been working on the tipple but my materials are running low so I find myself waiting more than working. I seem to never be able to estimate the amount off wood a structure like this consumes. One of the difficult parts of the construction is that after the prototype was constructed it seems there was some "fill" dumped around the tipple and the lower parts of the diagonal bracing is actually under ground. to recreate the buried bracing I am leaving the bents separate from the structure for a while, in the image below the bin is just resting on the bents. I plan to use Ground Goop to add a thick coating over the pink foam and work in around the tipple bents, then sprinkle a layer of sifted sand. after the goop dries I will have to add weeds and grasses around the bents, then I can attach the bin to the bents.

i decided to stain the bin a dark brown after looking at photos of similar structures. I noticed in photos of the prototype that the bin seems to be a very dark shade and the shed over the bin seems to have a mix of light and medium shaded boards. i have also noticed that it seems that the truck bridge leading up to the tipple is also a lighter shade than the bin, and that at some time they added new bents between the existing bents and they are lighter in shade than the original bents. There is a photo of the structure in "the book" that shows the structure when it was first constructed and there are only half as many bents under the trestle, then in later photos there are double the amount and a lot of diagonal bracing that has a very random pattern, which I am sure they were all added over time to shore up the structure as it started to age.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your bin is going to be a very impressive structure.

Iíve rarely been able to bring myself to secure structures to the ground on my layouts. I often modify scenes and move things around. Also, I donít want harm to come to them when I tear down a layout. Consequently the coal shed I built last year and coal trestle I built a couple years before that are sort of setting on the scenery. I added piles of coal under the trestle but very carefully so as not to glue the trestle in place. I like the solution you came up with.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 05/12/2020 10:23:39 AM

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/12/2020 :  8:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for color. This program uses AI to colorize B&W photos:
https://deepai.org/machine-learning-model/colorizer

It isn't perfect and I wouldn't take the result as hard proof, but perhaps it could give you ideas.

It turned this photo:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KQeB9Zb3XK8Qf2dU6
into this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hfe5rUBuzrXPhzBu8
But it has also screwed up a few known colors.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2020 :  08:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that colorize programs is pretty interesting, thanks for sending that.

made more progress on the tipple, wood, wood, wood, and more wood. this thing just eats stained strip wood. I built the truck bridge that leads to the tipple. the bents are in place now and I am starting to tie-in all the cross bracing. The truck bridge and the coal bin are not glued in place and won't be, they will be pinned in place after the bents are finished. when all the bracing is done I will cover the ground with up to 1/2" of ground goop in some places, then I will add some of the more fragile details and build the roof over the tracks.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/18/2020 :  08:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks great!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2020 :  09:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrific job!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/27/2020 :  11:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i keep chipping away at the tipple construction. I just finished the mess off bracing under the tipple and the bridge. I also 3D printed the gates and the rails for the chutes. The rods to open the gates are steel music wire in the visible areas and brass in the areas unseen. I soldered a small loop on the side of the actuating rods to accept a pin that will be in the end of the boards that form the actuating levels on the prototype, that way when the servo moves opens the gate it will also lower the level as if someone is pulling down on the level rope. I will wait to build the roof over the tracks until the tipple is all working and tested. I hope there will be a way to make the roof over the tracks removable for service without too much trouble. next will I am going to add the ground cover around all the trestle and bin bents.

as you can see I also started construction on the chutes. I was having a hard time deciding how to build the chutes. I had intentions of putting the side boards of the chutes on the inside of the vertical post that flank the chute gates but from looking at the only photo I have that comes close to showing the chutes I believe the side boards were on the outside of the post. it is really hard to tell because the photo is very shadowed. the reason I had a hard time excepting the boards were on the outside is that it would seem to make the chutes 48" wide on the prototype. in the photo the chutes do look wide, but 48"! If those vertical post are 10"-12" wide and the gate is about 30" wide (just guessing) you get a chutes that is at least 48" wide or wider. In the end I decided to go with what I see in the photo and we will see how it all works out.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  07:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made more progress on the strip coal tipple. I received all my servo drivers from Servocity. I decided to go with the dual driver kits, they are half the price as the assembled dual drivers and they only take a few minutes of easy soldering to assemble them. I have a mounting bracket on the 3D printer I will show when it is done. I am also working on the actuating levers , once I find a return spring that will work I should be able to design a bracket to hold them all.

the tipple has all of its servos installed and the wires tempoary connected. I am designing and 3D printing some conduit that will route the wires through the coal bin and up and over the back wall. I did build wood cable trays under the truck dock. originally i was just going to have a tube go straight down behind the tipple but I was afraid I would see it, so I made two trays that go just under the truck ramp and not the wires will be hidden up under the ramp and go down the back of the structure base.

I 3D resin printed the gates and the gate rails, which worked out will. i did find in testing the gates that I will have to take out a small section of rail on the back side of every one at the bottom. it seems that every now and then a small piece of coal finds its way into the rail and when the gate lowers it pinches it in the rail. I think by removing a section the inside rail, bigger than the width of the gate, a piece of coal will not be able to be pinched at the bottom of the rail, instead it will be ejected back inside the bin.

I started to apply the ground goop around all the bents. the color is off but it will all be covered with real soil. the ground goop made it "easy" to work it in and around the bents, it is a slow process and I still have to do under the coal bin. I say "easy" because it is not really that easy. to get the goop in place I have to make little goop balls and stick them on the end of a long handle paint brush, then using a piece of basswood I pin the ball to the scenery and slide if off the paint brush handle, then use the basswood to work the little ball down flat, then repeat a billion more times.

i also made the front wall of the shed that will cover the servos. this wall is removable and held in place by small magnets, the side walls of the shed will be glued in place. the roof will be removable to be able to add more coal. some of the boards on the front wall have small pieced of wood glued under them to make them look warped like the prototype.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  07:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a video of the tipple test #2.

https://youtu.be/nufwrn3ZtJ0

Edited by - Coaltrain on 06/09/2020 07:22:46 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  09:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that was awesome!! Excellent job!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  09:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The dirt and rocks you worked in around the bents look very realistic.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 06/10/2020 09:01:35 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  11:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is coming along nicely. It's going to look super. I enjoyed the video too.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 82 Topic Next Topic: Live steam logging equipment  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000