Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 179 ]  [ Total: 189 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Nye, Inyo & Esmeralda Railroad
Page: of 83

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  4:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know you are slightly freelancing, but it would have been great to fit the tank trestle in there. I don't see a place to fit it though.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  5:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris333

I know you are slightly freelancing, but it would have been great to fit the tank trestle in there. I don't see a place to fit it though.

I really wanted to fit tank trestle in but tank trestle is a scenic feature and I want to focus on being able to recreate the operations of the railroad, so the switch back and the run around we more important to include.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  08:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the office diorama is moving along, I am almost done. next well be adding trees, bushes and the chain link fence, after that I am calling it done until I add it to the layout.

artvdw
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  08:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really nice to have a diorama that can be added to the layout as a chunk of scenery. Many times it is easier to scenic a scene at the bench rather than reaching over the layout to do it.

Nice looking diorama.

Art VanDeWater

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  10:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent workmanship on the office, scenery and details.

One structure down. How many left to build?

Mike

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  2:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever had sand or ballast get all messed up when you tried to wet it before gluing, I hate it when that happens. My wife got this bottle for doing hair stuff and I love how fine of and soft of a mist this puts out. If you pull the trigger just a little you get a quick fog, if you hold it down it goes for a much longer time without having to keep pumping it. also, it works at any angle without running out, even upside down!

https://www.amazon.com/Beautify-Beauties-Flairosol-Empty-Bottle/dp/B07GRD5WLD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1EPVLOYADC4XY&dchild=1&keywords=water+spray+bottle&qid=1586886660&sprefix=water+spray+%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOUhMMDlNNDI0OElTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjIzNzU0MkhUWkdOUFBGSVdCVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDY4NDc1MkhFS1JSTU5DWDhHUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  6:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, a little touch of green adds a big pop of life! Really nice looking texture to the rolling meadow grass, and the general terrain is quite inviting to look at with a good natural looking slope of the hill side (the structure nestles into the slope very nicely). Also, nice touch with the small stone garden bed retaining wall. Small sections sitting like this sitting on the shelf would no doubt be great motivation to continue bringing more and more greenery into the full size version of the layout once the frame assembly is shaped up.

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  7:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good tip. Iíve been fairly unhappy with the spray bottles I have.

Thank you.

Mike

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2020 :  07:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

One structure down. How many left to build?

Mike

at the rate I build them, a lifetimes worth

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  09:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
started on the chain link fence. the fence around the office was just the chain line nailed up to wood post, no fancy metal post with top rail. from pictures it looks as if most of the post were painted white, but not all sides look to be painted and the paint did not go all the way to the ground, my guess is they painted whatever was easy to paint. There were two wood post at the top of the lower stairs with a nice garden gate. I made a gate from brass and i am using Tulle for the fencing.

the tulle looks good but it is not all that easy to install. I am thinking of stretching some tulle out and soaking it with diluted glue to make it stiffer, which I hope will make it not as wrinkly and make it easier to cut. cutting tulle is hard because it stretches and it is hard to cut it to have accurate diamonds at the top.

for a little fun I made the gate pivot.

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  05:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any photos surfaced of the power house at Clifftop?

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  06:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have any photos surfaced of the power house at Clifftop?

Not that I have seen yet

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  10:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made the last of the ground cover on the office diorama. I decided to try something a little different to see if it would work. when I make trees from Supertree material I always have a bunch of broken off pieces that don't really look like much. I took some of those pieces and grabbed them all with a spring clamp, then I spray painted them with some flat dark brown and gray paint. When the paint dried i poked a bunch of holes in the ground and stuck all the little broken pieces in the holes. when the hill was cover with the little branches I dripped diluted glue down the hillside to glue all the little branches into the holes. when the diluted glue dried I covered the area around the branches with pieces of paper and sprayed some 3M super 77 on the tops of the branches, then I sprinkled some foliage on them. I misted on some diluted glue to lock in all in place. I think it made a pretty good quick bushy area on a steep sloped hill.

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  1:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the one photo it looks like there are vines growing from the roof of the office down to the porch floor.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  1:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the one photo it looks like there are vines growing from the roof of the office down to the porch floor.

there were some kind of vines growing, I am not sure what they were. Fred Stathers (worked in the office) I am told was a gardener and he had a garden on the property and kept potted plants on the porch. Not all photos show the pots and the vines so I am not sure I will add them, i am waiting to see what I think when I plant this diorama into the layout.

Page: of 83 Topic Next Topic: Nye, Inyo & Esmeralda Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000