Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 222 ]  [ Total: 225 ]  [ Newest Member: vdohar ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Live steam logging equipment
Page: of 82

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  07:47:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did a little more work to the office. started on the porch and did the stone base using balsa foam. I also got my Epax X1 printer and will get it set up a printing by the weekend if all goes as planned. the plan is to print the vault, chimney, and the remaining interior details.

Mark, the office will be right next to the stone engine house, just like the real Manns Creek, the difference will be that the trains will be going the wrong direction at that point, oh well.

in the original track plan I called the office a "house", this this is the location of the office. I am not going to make the road cross the tracks as shown, they will cross behind the office.

I am working on some changes to the track plan and when I make some final decisions I will post what changes I am considering.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  09:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good! The balsa foam appears to work very well for representing stone.

Mike

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  07:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished my spray booth and got my new 3D resin printer all set up and printing. I ran my first couple prints and all is working well. I am using the Epax X1, which states you can open the box, plug it in and start printing, and......they were right! for once something worked as stated, pretty amazing. after I ran the first print I sat and looked closely to see how the finish looked and I felt like we are about to start a new chapter in model railroad. the quality of these little printers is stunning. it is a weird feeling to design something on a computer and then a few hours later your holding it in your hand. some may say this is not modeling, but I can tell there is just as much labor in a 3D print as there is in a part built form wood or styrene if you are designing the part yourself. it can take hours to build a 3D model on a computer, and this is from a guy that makes 3D models every day for my job, and has been for 28 years. Then, after you get the CAD model done you have to import the file into what is called a "slicer" program. In the Slicer you have to design what are called "supports". The supports are what hold the part for printing, making sure no area of the part is being printed in mid-air. after you design the supports then you have to load that file into the printer and wait to see if it prints or if it fails, if it fails you have to clean up the mess and remove the failed part, then go back to the computer and redesign the part or supports and try it again. as you go you get better at knowing what works and what does not and you can design parts that will print the first time. The resin is cheap and wasting material is not as much of a concern, time is the biggest cost.

I don't think the 3D printer will replace all my modeling, I like building things from raw materials, and as I stated above, I work on a computer all day and I would rather not go home and build models on a computer. However, this is a place for these machines, both the resin SLA printers and the FDM printers. My spray booth has two large 3D parts I made on my FDM printer and I have made lots of jigs on the FDM printer. After I finish this yard office structure and I get back to the shay I will be printing a lot of test parts on the resin printer, stay tuned.

here is the spray booth I made. It is almost like my house was designed for a spray booth. in the utility room there was a combustion makeup duct installed, however nothing in the utility room needs it because most things are electric and the things that are not have their own duct. The builder left the duct installed but had the end zip tied shut. The other interesting thing is that the duct was ran the a recess in the basement wall, which was the perfect depth for a spray booth. I built my booth to fit this spot, then I built a table to set it on with a little shelf left over to put paint bottles, cleaners, rubber gloves, and stuff. I built doors on the booth so I can place the resin printer in the booth and close the doors. Closing the doors with the fan on will vent out any smells from the curing resin and will keep light out. the resin cures with UV light, and even though there is not that much UV rays it still works out nice to close the doors. I will make some slots to run the cords out and let the doors close all the way. I 3D printed a ring to support the fan off the top so the discharge fan clears the top of the booth. I also printed a transition to go from the square outlet of the fan to the round duct. the parts are printed in a light blue PLA material on the FDM printer.

this is the printer with its first test print

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  08:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Donít let anyone tell you that what you describe is not modeling. The NMRA was pretty quick to recognize it as scratchbuilding for the purpose of contests and the achievement program if a person carries out all the steps you describe.

You have a nice setup according to your photos and description.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  12:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice paint booth. The house/office is looking good too.

I agree with Mike. Using a 3D printer to print your computer aided drawings is scratchbuilding. The computer/printer is just a tool just as a knife and a ruler is. IMHO

Bob

It's only make-believe

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2019 :  7:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you haven't already. Give Elegoo Grey resin a try.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2019 :  3:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris333

If you haven't already. Give Elegoo Grey resin a try.

I started with a esun water washable resin, I figured the water wash stuff would be nice, however I am not getting the detail in the prints I have seen by others. I will order some the Elegoo resin and see if I can get better results.

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/19/2019 :  7:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Somehow I've been missing this. Looks great! Love the building and the interior.

Oh, and the new toy! Can't wait to see what's next!

Brian

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2019 :  06:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried the water wash resin. Using the stock Anycubic resin I was getting good results, but small stuff like grab iron holes would get filled in. No big deal as it still left a dimple. But the Elegoo seems like a thinner resin and the holes come out clear. The resin does work better when warm. Some folks heat their trays. A few others in HO and S scales swear by the stuff.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2019 :  05:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I switched resin, this time I am trying the Anycubic green resin, I also got some Elegoo gray so I can compare two. I am running a small space heater in my booth to elevate the temp of the resin, I just put it on low and close the doors, the temp seems just about right, not to hot but warm enough to feel that the tray inside is warm. I am not sure the heater is a long term setup because there is no cooling for the electronics, it is just a test setup.

the structure had a slight curve to the back wall where the bathroom wall attached, to fix it I made a brace system on the FDM printer, these braces will all be hidden so strength was more important that prototype construction. this brace system will slip down inside the walls about a half inch which will create the ceiling. this space will also give me a place to run the wires for the structure lights. I plan on running the wires down inside the vault. I was going to detail the inside of the vault but because I forgot to plan for wiring I decided to sacrifice the vault for the sake of wiring.

here is the structure with the vault in place and the test fit of the roofing system. I was just sent some more information on this structure which brought to light some details about the land around it, and unfortunately I now know some things I built are not as they were. I decided that I want to build a new base for the structure, to for the reasons to "correct" it but to enhance it. the prototype structures foundation and the land had even more unique character than what I had thought and I want to capture more of those features.

here are some of the detail parts I have created and printed (not the person, he is just there for scale comparison). the sketch of the interior detail I have list of two organ stools located at two of the desk. the sketch also points out next to one of the doors a "stand up desk" and by the large main desk something called a "calculations desk". my source for information told me that the calculations desk could have been an adding machine on a rolling cart. I Googled antique adding machine on cart and come up with some images that I used to cobble up a mini adding machine and cart. the cart had some fine wire detail that I will add to it to simulate the parts that raised and lowered the wheels.

here are some parts unpainted.

here are the parts I printed with some base painting applied. the details are (front row, l-r) Divan, "Fred's Desk", coal scuttle, organ stool. (back row, l-r) wood filing cabinets, typewriter on cart, adding machine on cart, and stand up desk.

next up is to finish a few more of the remaining details and build the center fireplace chimney....and the new base. I am trying really hard to not rush this to completion, I want to get it done to clean off the bench and get back to building shays.

Edited by - Coaltrain on 12/23/2019 05:59:52 AM

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2019 :  07:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

That is a pretty amazing collection of office details. What exactly were they managing at that office? Was it strictly the coal and coke transfer with the C&O? Was the bathroom/tub for the benefit of the coke oven workers who probably did not have running water in their homes?

Are you going to take all the company buildings on the new layout to this level of interior detail?

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2019 :  08:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quarryman

Jeff-

That is a pretty amazing collection of office details. What exactly were they managing at that office? Was it strictly the coal and coke transfer with the C&O? Was the bathroom/tub for the benefit of the coke oven workers who probably did not have running water in their homes?

Are you going to take all the company buildings on the new layout to this level of interior detail?

I am not sure exactly what they were doing there, I will ask and see if I can get an answer. I believe this is the main office for the entire operation. This is were payroll was done and all documents stored I do know that. there is a big table where they planned the mining. The bathtub seems strange to me because I would doubt they would let your average worker just come in and take a bath, but maybe I am wrong there as well. just outside the bathroom door in the main office part there was a something labeled "garment rack", on the back side of it the sketch says "storage with shelves and drawers. I don't know how many workers worked the coke ovens but it just seems that one bathtub would be used to clean up even a small shift of men. My guess is that your general worker just went home or to a shower room. maybe the guys that worked the office thought it would be nice to have their own private bathroom to clean up at before going home so they added it on to the back wall. I don't have a picture of the back of the structure but I am starting to wonder if the bathroom did not have the stone foundation under it and it was built on wood legs. I wish when I was there I would have looked at this foundation closer but at the time I did not think I would ever be building this structure. I guess I have to get back to Sewell soon.

I am planning on all structures being built like this, which is one of the reasons why I want to keep my layout scope pretty small. If it is going to take me one year to make one structure I don't want to have too many to make. The trouble is to that the more information I have been given to more I feel an obligation to do something with all this information that people have troubled with gathering, documenting, storing, saving, etc, like they had the hopes of someday someone doing something with it so it was not lost to the past. I am amazed at how much information has surfaced on such a small isolated railroad. some of the photos I have seen are of some of the strangest things, obviously the person taking these photos, at a time when photos were probably expensive, were very proud of this stuff.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2019 :  11:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here are a few items placed in the structure.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2019 :  12:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

The office interior is really coming to life with the furnishings and figures.

Old mills I have visited often have a "stand up desk" near the door with a large ledger book on it where the miller kept track of who brought what to be milled. Babcock may have kept similar records in a similar fashion regarding mine output, etc.

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/24/2019 :  02:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is turning out great! It is very hard to find obscure details about the past.

Page: of 82 Topic Next Topic: Live steam logging equipment  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000