Railroad Line Forums - Big Tree's revisted
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 232 ]  [ Total: 232 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Big Tree's revisted
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Surry Parker Question Topic Next Topic: Interesting bit of logging (modeling) history...
Page: of 3

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  8:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All. Its been a while since I posted some pictures so I thought it was time to update the tree progress. I've been working on this 5 foot section of the layout for the last 6 months. What do you think so far. Remember this is HO.

The Shack is scratch built using board on board construction.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  8:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike

The cabin is nice but those trees are excellent. Nice looking scene.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  8:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jerry
A few more of the tree's

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  8:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jerry
A few more of the tree's

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  8:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I than realized that a forest on the Pacific would not be complete with out ferns. So here is my first few attempts at fern building.

These were done with a drop of clear silicon and then i inserted individual stems in to the silicone.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  9:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great look trees and ferns. Most of us don't have enough ferns in our forest.

Bob Harris

It's only make-believe

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  9:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
here are some pics of the cabin build. All my drawings are done with Ashlar Velum's Graphite 2d program
I love designing and than building these little structures. I chose not to detail the interior since it's buried in the forrest. I still need to add log step and firewood to the scene as well as guy setting on the front step. I'm still working on the scenery details.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  9:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And than the cabin inserted into the scene

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  12:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work on both the scenery and the cabin. Nice job!

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  01:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really nice detail on the cabin

John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  09:53:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your forest looks great and that is a very nice little cabin in the woods.

Mark

W,L,&E

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  10:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I really like the BIG trees the ferns work, and not to rain on the parade but I recently saw examples of these ferns that had been used in a museum (smithsonian)dioramas..the fern has curled up like some prehistoric plant. I think the trees were 10+ years old. Does any body have a long history of these fern that have been preserved?

I would like to use them in some projects but I worry about the life of the project if this happens.

Les

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  11:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good Morning
Les, I think drying out is going to be an issue with any natural foliage material. I'm still having humidity problems in my space and I see the "branches" shape change a little in the different humidity swing. At 40% they are what you see in the picture. At 55%plus they seem to hang just a tiny bit more. Bragdon Industries recommends a spritz of alcohol and glycerin if it starts to dry out. Earlier this year, I wanted to model dead and dying trees. So I took a handful of the product and put it in a 500 degree oven for 45 minutes. It darkened considerably but it never dried out or curled. I have never asked Bragdon how they preserved the product. I assume its alcohol and glycerin. Only time will tell.
Mike M

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mike
Thanks thats great information, I know at the museum the temps and humidity are well managed, I suspect the AC has just dried them out, and when they dry they curl. I have some of these ferns from Joel, and will be using them on an upcoming piece I am doing.

Les

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  5:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice forest scene, Mike, and very interesting series of pictures about the building of the cabin. Thanks.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  6:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
So the first attempt at ferns has failed. I'm guessing that glycerin and silicone do not mix. As soon. as I touched the ferns they fell apart. The little fronds just fell out of the dried silicone. So I decided to ask an expert. His advice was use acrylic caulk and make them bushier.
Here's my expert examining the new batch. We did a test batch and the caulk had no ill effects from the fronds.

He approves of the new growth.
Mike M

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Surry Parker Question Topic Next Topic: Interesting bit of logging (modeling) history...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000