Railroad Line Forums - The Gallery: Sept. 10 "Kitbash or Kit Mods"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 54 ]  [ Total: 59 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The Gallery: Sept. 10 "Kitbash or Kit Mods"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Playing with color Topic Next Topic: Tinypic went ape**** on me....
Page: of 7

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  10:39:32 PM  Show Profile
With summer behind us and prime modeling time in front of us, I thought we could get the creative juices flowing by featuring some models. Not everyone builds kits according to the original plans. This month we will showcase structures that are the result of Art Curren type kitbashes or just plain modifications to the original plans. For extra interest, add a few words describing the bash or modifications.

I once again caution everyone to keep copyright issues in mind. If you didn't take the picture, it isn't yours to post. Links to photos on the web are allowed, however.

In consideration for those on dial-up, please keep your photos to 80KB or smaller.

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  12:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage

Hi Bruce and all,

Great subject....

Here is an little animal of my own Creation. I'm not even sure what kit it started out as. The parts were probably picked up at some train show for a few dollars. I guess it is more of a scratch build than a kit bash... or a little of each.

The structure looks good in the yard, and I call it the Tawas Yard Interlocking Tower. I look forward to seeing other's creations soon.

drs_rr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  01:17:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit drs_rr's Homepage
Started out with Bar Mills Modes N scale version of Mooney's Plumbing and modified it by making the structure in the shape of T instead of a long narrow building. Then created some new signs for it tooand changed up some of the roofing. Although taken at a different angle, this scene and structure is featured on the cover of Sept/Oct 2010 N Scale magazine.

Thanks for taking a look,

Dave Salamon
Deep River Southern - N Scale
www.picturetrail.com/salamon

dgjj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  01:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit dgjj's Homepage
This started out as an N scale repair shop , I think it was made by Mainline Siding, came in a brown box.
A friend asked me to make a couple of buildings for a ghost town. I decided to make this one pretty run down. I changed the roofing to corrugated iron sheeting (from paper creek models, really hard to tell from the real thing in n scale) and generally wore the building out .
I saw a building in similar condition years ago and remembered it had a tree growing out of it, which I thought would look quite good in model form.

cheers
Dave

again the misnamed
http://modelrailroadscratchbuilder.wordpress.com/

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  08:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage
Love the tree growing through the roof Dave!

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  09:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
Bustard Box Company, named after modeling friend Paul Bustard, started as a Campbell "Saez Chairs". It had die cut cardboard sides and roof, to be covered with their corrugated aluminum sheets. Since I was modeling a logging/woodworking area on my modules, I traced the sides onto scribed wood siding material and cut them out. There were several dormer windows on the front part, I left them off. The rest of the dust gathering structure was from the kit.

I was at a local camera shop and they had a countertop display with motorised silver corkscrew things turning, promoting some camera brand. All worked by battery. It looked interesting, and I asked them if I could have the display when they were through with it. They said I could have it!

So I took it home and fitted two of the three shafts from the gearbox to turn the rooftop cyclones. They came from Campbell too I think. The unit was powered by two "D" cells in series. I operate the cyclones when my modules are set up, and train show visitors often see them and think they are neat. The original D batteries lasted about 15 years of occasional operation, often 6-8 hours at a time.

And now you know!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  6:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Started out as a Campbel kit.

now Coos Bay Meats. She's the 2nd biggest customer on the line.

Bob Harris

It's only make-believe

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  7:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey Crew,

Yet another great topic, Bruce. And one to which I will be able to contribute since, as many of you will remember, I am an inveterate Curren-style kitbash fan. For my first contribution to this month's Gallery, I'll start with a few of my earliest projects dating to the late 70's and early 80's.

First, years and years ago I came across a picture of a country store and gas station. I decided to capture the flavor of it (I rarely model anything exactly) using two of the ubiquitous cheap plastic whoever-made-it Texaco gas station kits to create "Ed's Gas & Grocery." The first photo shows the basic station; you can see where I spliced the two together. The second two photos show the station on my previous-previous layout and my previous layout.

Years after I built the structure, I came across a postcard of a Stuckey's Pecan Shoppe that looked strangely familiar, so I did a b&w version of Ed's to simulate the scene. This little guy has been on every layout since and will, without question, be on the next one.

Most often, when we think of kitbashing, we think of structures. But rolling stock can be kitbashed as well. In my case, modeling a Southern Short Line, I needed a typical mixed train daily center door combine. Since none were available, I kitbashed one using a La Belle 1890's open platform combine kit to capture the flavor of Wadley Southern #12.

Since I also wanted a business/private car (not totally unknown on Georgia short lines), I again called upon La Belle Woodworking to provide the basic car body, and rearranged the windows. The interior detailing is based on a series of Robert Aaberg articles in RMC.

Hope y'all enjoy, and I'll post some more "bashes" as I can.

Steve Flanigan

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  8:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage
Steve, I always love looking at your modelling efforts and these structures and rolling stock kitbashes are absolutely amazing. So are the contributions of everyone else.

I am waiting a few days for my computer to come back from the shop. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to this thread then.

Yes, we all recall the creative talent of Ed Curren and he is deeply missed, for sure. Great idea for the thread for September, Bruce!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  9:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all who have jumped in early with some great submissions.

My first major bash of a kit was motivated by this forum's first challenge. To see what members were doing back then, here is the link:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4293

As part of that Challenge, I started with this classic styrene kit.

By modifying the roof, getting rid of the plastic loading dock, adding a foundation and a brick addition, I got my Borden's Creamery.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  09:48:51 AM  Show Profile
Love this topic Bruce,, need to find my camera and share a few,,

Cheers!, Joe

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  10:34:45 AM  Show Profile

Found camera!,, 1st is a loader kitbashed from the Walthers Mine kit, this is per an MR article a few years ago.

2nd, is a Cambell's slaughter house kit I repurposed for a small factory. I built I moved most of the walls and added an platform cut into first floor.

3rd, This row of buildings from left to right, Ma's place from AHM is now a house. The pizzeria is all parts from the scrap box. The small manufacturer is from an AHM kit which I cant recall the origin of.

This is kitbash of the ever present AHM kits which they used to make many of their kits.

The following is an Art Curren DPM kitbash from his book.

The last is one I have been working on recently. It too is from the Art Curren book it was called the "wedge factory" made up from two of the Burlington mills kits from IHC or Tyco.

Cheers!, Joe

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  1:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage

Walthers Cornerstone kits make great raw material to build larger complexes. LVN Grain terminal and Safeway Foods

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  2:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
So is this month's thread to be on structures as noted in the first post "This month we will showcase structures that are the result of Art Curren type kitbashes or just plain modifications to the original plans.

Or rolling stock as well? Would be nice to know so we could all be on the same page.

Thanks!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  6:24:09 PM  Show Profile
I suppose this could be considered a kitbash. I purchased a FSM Cippy Hollow kit and made latex rubber moulds of the stone walls and a number of other castings in the kit. I used dental plaster to cast the stone walls. I added a stone walled addition to one side for a truck loading dock.

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  6:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

Or rolling stock as well? Would be nice to know so we could all be on the same page. Thanks!

Sorry Bob...I deleted my post so as not to create any confusion. I misread the first post regarding this thread being for structures.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Playing with color Topic Next Topic: Tinypic went ape**** on me....  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000