Railroad Line Forums - New Machine Shop building for the CB N WV railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 New Machine Shop building for the CB N WV railroad
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lindsey 8-Wheel Log Wagon 1:20.3 Scale Topic Next Topic: Anyone built a B.E.S.T. kit?
Page: of 28

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  9:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a newer member here and I'm learning a lot from you guys. On this project I'm going to try and apply some the techniques that you all have shared. I'm not sure which form this should go but it's here now so I guess here it will stay. I hope it doesn't suffer from comparison with all the excellent work shared in this forum. This is a scratch building project. The Machinery is from kits some have/will be modified most are built stock.
So let me set the stage. I like the phrase proto-freelancer. My railroad basically follows the historic Coos Bay, Coquile, Roseburg and Eastern Railroad and Navigation Company except that it was started about thirty years earlier with a lot more money than the prototype had. Despite it's better start it reached no further than the prototype did, stopping in Myrtle Point. It is 1888 the Southern Pacific has not yet built its branch to Coos Bay so my railroad does not exchange cars. It makes a living hauling farm products and lots of lumber and bring in from the port of Marshfield almost everything the the citizens need or want. So this the 2nd Machine Shop building. It is only 10 years old. Some of the machines are older two are brand new. They're the green ones. It is going to sit here on my expanded layout

Here is the shop's profile;

And from the front;

Here are the machines completed to date sitting on the floor plan;

a couple of close-ups;

These Machines were built form kits produces by SS ltd, Rio Grande Models (most) and Western Scale (no longer available). In this next shot is of my Wheel Lathe. I wanted to dress up Rio Grande Kit a bit to I added details from SS ltd's Wheel Grinder machine. with the left over parts I built the grinder.

Oh! all work is HO scale. I hope you enjoy it and please share any comments you like.

Bob Harris
It's only make-believe

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  10:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice, very nice.
So which machines are made by which manufacturer.
Mike M

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  10:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lathe in the top left hand corner is from Western Scale. The Green Lathe and milling machine are SS ltd. All Others Except the driver lathe and grinding wheels are Rio Grande Models.
The grinder is scratch built and the driver lathe is a combination of a Rio Grande driver lathe and a SS ltd wheel grinder.

Sorry the pictures came out so big they were suppose to be 4xs.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  07:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, looks like an interesting project.
We have a group build going on in the On30 forum of an engine house with an attached machine shop.
Here are the links: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27394 and http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29794
I've got all my machines and the steam engine built but still need to build the roof and the drive shafts to power them.
It will be interesting for me to follow what you're doing.
I'm sure I'll pick up a tip or two.

As you think, so will you be.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  09:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum and thanks so much for jumping in. Your historical perspective on the layout is much appreciated as well. I look forward to seeing some pics! Your machine shop promises to be an exciting build I will follow along. I will even send this as a link to a friend who has to build a machine shop.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  7:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to RR-Line, Bob.
You've certainly a very interesting project, and being able to display all this nice machinery must be a pleasure for you.
I'll be looking forward for the next installments.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  11:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, I've been enjoying those two treads. I've pickup several good idea from them.I couldn't find it right now but somebody shared his building a O scale Western Scale Lathe that was very helpful too. There is a lot of good modeling going on this forum.
Frederic, thank you. I've chosen to start be building all the machines I think a full service shop should have and make sure they can fit in the planned building. I have two more to go. The wheel press, a Radial Drill Press and the steam engine and already room looks a little tight. What do you guys think? Do I have enough room around my machines? If you look at the first shot you can see that I'm trying to layout the machines so that the belts will have access to the main drive line. If I have to, I can always make the building a bit larger and adjust the layout to it.
This building will be the center of my shop complex, which in turn will be the focus point of the Marshfield extension.
Taking pictures of your models is in itself a aid to better modeling. I spotted several things that I needed to fix. A crooked tail stock, some flask and some very noticeable glue.
Yes, I'm having a little adventure posting photos. Last time I tried they come out really small, this time I reduced the pictures to 4"x and save at moderate (35) quality and they came out huge. I used Gimp to do the re-sizing.
You guys have any pointers on this?

Bob Harris

It's only make-believe

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  07:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I've never used Gimp, so I'm not familiar with it's features, but instead of sizing the pictures in inches save them in pixels.
Make the longest side of a picture 800 pixels.

I saved one of your pictures to my computer and found that it was 1600 pixels on it's longest side.
Here's what it looks like at 800 pixels.

As you think, so will you be.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  8:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, let me try this again. This afternoon's section in the garage had this output;

On the left is my wheel press, a stock Rio Grande Model kit. I will add a crane to the top of it like the Sierra RR did so it will look like this;

In the center is the start of my Radial Drill Press. To the right are the O scale casting that I'm using to scale my HO model.
This is what a radial drill press looks like;

This is what I start with in building my radial drill press.

This little kit might also contribute to my crane.

I hope you enjoy that's all for now.

Bob Harris

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  09:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very nice example of inventivity, Bob. Your use of water tank parts for the drill press is quite clever.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  6:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess I should up date this.
Progress has slowed as I changed gears from kit assembly to kit-bashing/scratch building on these two last machines. I've also had to change gears by going back to work and getting use to grave yard again. Anyway I think the both are coming right along. Hum-mm, I see I didn't get most of the crane upright in the picture but you get the idea. it doesn't need a whole lot of work yet. The radial drill, that's another story. The base I think is looking pretty good but there still is a lot of work left.

All work is HO.

Frederic- The machinery you built for the Dave's corner thread was very helpful. In fact the whole build was and fun to follow.

A lot of great modeling be done here. I'm glad to be aboard.

Bob Harris

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  6:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the picture

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  7:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You seem to go in the right direction, Bob, and the little sister seems as good as the tall one. Happy if I may have helped you. Now it's your turn to give us some ideas. I love this forum for that in particular.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  1:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some more progress shots. I thought I would share some of my techniques with you all. Though I'm sure nothing I do is new to the group that hangs out here.

1st. The Layout using the O-scale model for my "plans" on 020 styrene.

Buy the way, I put that little bend on the end of the crane boon by heating the styrene with the light bulb of my desk magnifier while bending it around the tip of my needle nose pliers.
Getting back to the "Main line" I then cut and sanded the arm into shape with the usual files, sanders and knifes.

Then using 020 x 040 styrene I made the box looking structure. I used liquid plastic glue.

I then file and sanded to clean this piece up and glue it to the base.

Still a lot to do on this Radial drill. I need to figure out how to make some gears. I need about 5 1'diameter gears for various spots on this machine. All the gears I can find from commercial suppliers are bigger. Any ideas? Here it is to date along with the crane. I need to paint the crane and see how see looks to have a better idea of were to go with her.

Will I hope you all enjoyed.

Bob Harris

It's only make-believe

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  1:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Nice looking machinery!

philip

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  4:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob --

Things are shaping up nicely here! Can't help but notice the subtle irony of the machinery being built by hand.

Vector Cut makes an assortment of laser-cut gears in various sizes ... and the set itself is available in two sizes.

Website is www.VectorCut.com
Owner's name is Dave -- very friendly and provides good service. (Not affiliated, just a happy customer.)

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: Lindsey 8-Wheel Log Wagon 1:20.3 Scale Topic Next Topic: Anyone built a B.E.S.T. kit?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000