Railroad Line Forums - Old West Diorama.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: SP4294 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Old West Diorama.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Hawks Garage and Farmall tractors Topic Next Topic: Window screens
Page: of 2

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  6:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a experienced scratch builder of dioramas in 1/16th scale,mostly airplanes, cars ,trucks etc...
As a maker of storyboard dioramas I primarily put things together to tell a story.I usually buy what I can and build what I must.I have always wanted to do the opening train scene from "Once Upon a Time in the West."Is there a group here that has the Old West as their primary area of interest?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  9:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about a group but there are many individuals who do model "the west". It really does matters though what you define as "the west". I model 1880's in western Oregon. I consider it an "old west" layout. Others might not. To have a train in the scene means it has to be latter than 1865 or so. The Battle of Wounded Knee was in 1890. Many people consider that as an event at the end of the old west but Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch started their ride 1899 and the shot out in Boliva happening in 1908. In 1908 there were a few horseless carriages running around and just think how rail technology changed from 1865 to 1908. The same changes were reflected through western culture. A town of the 60's was very different than one in the 80's. The same could be said for one built before the railroad or built after. The fun ones are the the ones that were started before the railroad and then had a spike of new construction because of the arrival of the railroad.
I hope I'm not being a bore but my point is to get you to think a bit and narrow down what you want and need.

Bob Harris

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  11:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Bob the storyline centers around a railroad being pushed through the area around Monument Valley Arizona whenever that was,I'll try to research it a little more.Thanks!

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  2:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John there is a Great Wild West Model Railway with pictures here; http://www.railmodeling.com/pix/HO_Scale/ It doesn't say who did it, and I don't know of any wild west modelers, but it is worth checking out the pictures on this site.
It starts about five pictures down the first page.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 08/02/2010 2:02:40 PM

belg
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  4:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, while not really modeling, I thought this might be something to get ideas from, Pat.
http://www.onlywdworld.com/2010/03/big-thunder-mountain-railroad-beyond.html

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  4:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I suppose you wish to model some 'exact' locations of the movie.
Why not trying to locate a dvd and draw the places from snapshots of the movie?

Frederic Testard

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  09:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frederic ! I am ok on that score,I have the movie.My problem is mostly what scale to build it in and what locomotives are available in any scale.I would consider HO scale with no figures, just sound and lighting.O scale and larger I would then consider populating the diorama.If I could find plans I would build the rolling stock and station myself if need be.Thanks for your help,I must say that I am surprised that the old west is not a very popular subject.Cheers! John.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  11:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about what John was saying about the (apparent) unpopularity of the old west as a modelling subject on this forum.

I think it is probably to do with the almost complete lack of rolling stock but also due to the railroads of the time being quite operationally uninteresting. Most of the old west towns seem to me to consist of the single track mainline running through town with a passing siding and a stub siding to a team track/mine/sawmill/cattle yard and with very light traffic.

Most of the reasons why the old west is exciting (to me anyway) are not related to the trains (with the exception of train robberies) but i can't think of a way to recreate that in a model that makes to train exciting to operate.

I think it is best suited to building dioramas in larger scales where you can get a lot more detail in, as you are proposing John.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  12:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil,
My "old west" layout has 3 towns with 14 shipping/receiving points. Yes, the Saw Mill is the major shipper but only accounting for about 50% of the in service cars. I also run two schedule passenger trains and could add more if I wanted to. Activity isn't dependent on the setting just the planning.

Bob Harris

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

dave1905
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  09:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People seem to forget that modeling the 1800's isn't modeling "the old west". The vast, vast, majority of railroads in the US were not in the Wild West. They were east of the Mississippi and along the Pacific Coast. If you model an area where the railroads were there are LOTS of variety and LOTS of industry. The reason people think 1800's = "wild west" is purely because of cowboy movies which are highly inaccurate, where set in places that were on the edges of the railroad system, many are either filmed on one railroad or filmed outside the US and are not representative of what railroading was in the late 1800's. For example "3:10 to Yuma" supposedly involves a recent Civil War vetern. The railroad that they are building was built in the early 1900's. That means that the Civil War had been over for 35 years by the time the railroad was being built. The protagonist would have been over 50 years old if the railroad part of the story was correct.

Dave H.
Keep 'em painted side up

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  10:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  10:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sergio Leone seemed to use a lot of the above in his movie and I plan to do the same.Thanks for the heads up guys!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  11:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by dave1905

People seem to forget that modeling the 1800's isn't modeling "the old west".

So what do you consider the Old West?
Did you note the dates I referenced in my first reply? Here's another Billy the Kid (The Lincoln County War)died and the "Shootout at the OK Coral" both happened in 1881. One more date, the first Texas Cattle Drive was in 1866.

Yes, I agree Hollywood is mythology.

Bob

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  1:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!Late 1860's when they pushed the railway through Arizona .Serio's storyline was east-west transcontinental but actually the Union Pacific ,I believe, started on the pacific coast and pushed eastward to meet up with another company.
What I need to find is an unserviceable( even a shell) locomotive which I can work with.The passenger cars I can build.

JohnReid
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  1:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - JohnReid on 08/06/2010 3:51:40 PM

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  5:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John
You might take a look at this website, http://usmrr.blogspot.com/ by Bernie Kempinski.
This is in O scale and 1863. Although Civil War, there are some great ides here.
I might also suggest your diorama in O scale (although I'm a little biased).

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Hawks Garage and Farmall tractors Topic Next Topic: Window screens  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000