Railroad Line Forums - Lou's Sawmill - from Badger Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 67 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Lou's Sawmill - from Badger Creek
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: FOS Scale engine House At Caldwell Jct Topic Next Topic: Interaction Enterprises Machine Shop tools
Page: of 6

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always liked this sawmill that Paul Templar (Shamus) had made for his Badger Creek Railroad, and one day wanted to make one for the space I had for a mill. With these pictures of Paulís Sawmill, I made up a drawing to fit the space I have for it. Itís not going to be carpenter specks or the best scratch building ever, just a fun project for me; I hope you will follow along with this build.

These were some of Paul's forum posted Sawmill pictures;

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve started this project using Royal Paper Products wood coffee stirrers, and assorted stripwood sizes. These have been dipped into a mixture of denatured alcohol and brown shoe dye. I have completed putting together the framework and first floor deck.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Louis, this looks like a great build to watch! Paul has done a really nice job with his, and I am certain you will as well! Best of luck with your build of this interesting sawmill.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Hi Louis, this looks like a great build to watch! Paul has done a really nice job with his, and I am certain you will as well! Best of luck with your build of this interesting sawmill.

Greg Shinnie

Hi Greg, thanks for the kind words, and yes Paul has always been a fan of mine when it came to modeling. I always enjoyed his work. And, as you have seen in the past, I'm always posting his work of one thing or another. He was a great man and a fast building modeler of some fantastic work.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first floor framework has been completed, and set on top of the sawmill base.

Louis

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  11:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The sawmill is looking great Louis. Are you planning to scratchbuild the machinery?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure when you started this, but you've made a lot of progress already.
I'll be watching as you post more progress.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  4:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nalmeida

The sawmill is looking great Louis. Are you planning to scratchbuild the machinery?

Gracas Nelson e cumprimento, I'm not really good a speaking Portuguese, thats pretty much all I know. Thanks for checking out the mill and leaving a comment. The machinery is better off items bought, I could build them, but don't have the patientience. I'll be building the log haul, log carrage, log deck and saw, and dead rolls, but that's about it. They will be after the type Paul Templar made up himself for his mill.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  4:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Not sure when you started this, but you've made a lot of progress already.
I'll be watching as you post more progress.

Hi Rick, the denatured alcohol and brown shoe dye, as you know, dries fast. So it's pretty fast when you don't have instructions to follow, and you use CA Zap-A-Gap. It's drop the wood into the mix, pull it out, dries good enough to glue about an hour or so later. It took longer to draw the sections on graft paper, than to put things together.
Thanks for following along.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nelson and others, Nelson asked if I was going to build my own machinery, so I thought I would post some of what Paul Templar made up. I will attempt to build some of these items, but for the most part I will get store bought items.

Louis

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  5:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, I assum that you are modeling this in HO, not O scale as Paul's last one. Looking real nice so far.

Mark

W,L,&E

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  5:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, this is a very nice project, and a well deserved tribute to Paul Templar's great modelling.
Don't be too shy with machinery making. What one can do with a few bits of styrene is often amazing.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  7:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBLmber

Louis, I assum that you are modeling this in HO, not O scale as Paul's last one. Looking real nice so far.

Mark

Hi Mark, yes this is HO scale, or should I say his OO scale Badger Creek sawmill. Thanks for your comment.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  7:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Louis, this is a very nice project, and a well deserved tribute to Paul Templar's great modelling.
Don't be too shy with machinery making. What one can do with a few bits of styrene is often amazing.

Thanks Frederic, and yes Paul will always be missed by me as a great modeler that he was.
I have seen machinery made here on the forum by different members, including yourself, and they are all fantastic ideas, and to see how easy it can be. I can't remember who it was, but he used locomotive fan grills for a bandsaw. Now, who can think up stuff like this I ask you?

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  09:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here I put together the second floor loft, where Paul had his machine shop located. I will have to see where I want my stairway to go, and then Iíll cut open a hatchway in the floor for the stairs coming up from the main sawmill floor. Of course As Rick noted, Iím moving right along. Well being retired has a lot to do with all the time in the world to put these things together. I just wish we could have all retired in your 20ís and 30ís when we can still see well, and hold things still.

Louis

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  09:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Louis. Youíre making nice progress.

George

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: FOS Scale engine House At Caldwell Jct Topic Next Topic: Interaction Enterprises Machine Shop tools  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000