Railroad Line Forums - SWSM Essentials build--by a Newbie
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SWSM Essentials build--by a Newbie
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - O scale Tool Shed (#302) Topic Next Topic: Wooden Structures in 1:48
Page: of 8

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  9:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone-
This is my first build of a real craftsman kit. I built a few Campbell bridges and a small Grant Line shed, but never board-on-board construction.

Sierra West's Logging Camp Essentials will be a perfect fit on my HO logging layout. They have the exact look I'm going for but, more importantly, the concensus on the forums is that Brett's instructions are written in a way that a newbie like me would be able to build them. I'll probably work at a pretty slow pace (especially since it's summer where modeling time takes a back seat to chasing the kids around). Any advice/criticsm/tips etc. are much appreciated!

Bill

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  10:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first thing I did was read through the manual and rounded up the tools I'd need (gotta love Harbor Freight!). Brett recommends using a glass work surface so I found a tempered glass cutting board at Target. It's got a rough surface on the top, but smooth underneath. I pried off the little rubber feet from the bottom and rubber cemented them to the top, flipped it over and presto! Smooth glass cutting surface. After collecting most of the paints, brushes, wire brushes, blades and glues, I started the soaking process following Brett's recipe.

I pulled the strips out in thirds after 12, 18 and 24 hours of soaking in the stain. I think I got a nice range of colors:

I roughed up the strips with various wire brushes and layed them out onto the template. Using a toothpick and Pacer Canopy Glue, I attached the stips to the chipboard for the 4 walls for Bunkhouse #1.

After cutting out the 4 walls and window openings, I re-brushed the bottom edges and added nail holes. I also applied an A/I wash to the bottom edges and let it wick up the boards a little (a trick suggested by somebody on here!). I did the same thing in some of the spots where 2 boards butted together. It looks a lot lighter than these pictures show...but here's where I'm at with the first 4 walls:

Here's a little closer view:

That's all for now. Any input you might have, I'm all ears!
Bill

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  10:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I have to offer at this point is that you are off to a fantastic start. I'll be glad to follow along no matter how long it takes you. Great looking colors!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  05:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, Welcome and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this kit. I also have the kit but have not built it yet, so I for sure have an interest in what you come up with.

I have noticed that you are using a brass brush to grain the wood. You may want to try a steel wire brush to see the different effect you get as the steel will give a a more gray look. Both do about the same with the grain, and that is the major function, but it is fun to play with the subtle coloring a bit.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  07:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, looks like you are off to a great start.

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to find advice and encouragement.

Dave

"there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"

Edited by - mainetrains on 06/13/2010 07:28:55 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  07:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, so far so good.
Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your project with us.
I'm going to be following along as you make progress.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  08:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
Looks fine to this point.

I faced a similar situation when I started my modeling.
I had built a few Campbell kits and was persuaded that I could build one of Brett's kits just by following his instructions.

I bought and constructed Foss' Landing and will say that if you follow Brett's advice and suggestions that you will be very pleased once the model in finished.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  09:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on track - good start

Elliott

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  2:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
nice start
glad to see more building going on in the summer
used to be only in winter did anyone ever build stuff
keep posting them great pics

On30 Dave
seen on G+, YOUTUBE and FB

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  2:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see you are getting started on a great project.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  9:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill- you will have a lot of fun with this based on your work so far. Looks great! A good choice because of the several different structures and I think they encompass most of Brett's great tutorials on board-on-board building, staining, detailing, diorama building, etc., etc.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  10:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Bill...a very nice start! A friend of mine has built many of Brett's kits and they all turn out as real beauties. I will be following along as well!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  11:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking great so far Bill, youj really did achieve a great range of tones in the board colouring.
I'll be following along closely as this is one of my favorite kits by Brett.

Nice work so far, looking forward to more as it happens.

Karl.A

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  08:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill looks like a great start to me. Great range of colors in the staining of the wood and the sides of the bunkhouse look great too.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  09:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill:

That is one great start... right on target!

Brett

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  3:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! You guys are great! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. KP-thanks for the tip about steel vs. brass brushes. I'm using a wide variety now based on bristle type and stiffness.

I moved on to the windows, and here's where my inexperience shows. The manual had me first blot-stain the doors, frames and sashes...no problem:

But then came the chalk weathering. Make a pile of chalk in various browns and grays, then smear it together with your finger on black cardstock:

The instructions say to dab the powder onto the piece, blot on some alcohol to it with a brush, then rub the piece face down on the black cardstock in a circular motion. Here are the results:

I'm not sure if I'm correctly getting that "mottled" effect. I'm using black construction paper and perhaps not enough alcohol? Or too much chalk? Maybe I did it correctly, but the difference is so subtle (compared to just staining the piece) it seemed like a lot of time and work for not much effect. (The frames can be seen better in some other pics furthur down).
Here's my first shot at dirtying up windows. I didn't have Floquil Flat finish handy, so I used DulCote. On some pices, I appied it too heavily so it was pretty hard to rub it off and get that halo dirty window effect. Also, while rubbing a piece of acetate on the black paper, I got into an area with a little brown chalk dust. It actually gave me kind of a cool look (this piece still has the paper backing on it):

Of course when I tried to replicate that, I got a window that looked like sombody was running an autobody paint shop in the bunkhouse! (see the top 2 windows...no peeping Tom problems in this neck of the woods!)

Oh well...that's a newbie for ya! On to the fun stuff! I fine tuned the window openings with an xacto blade and small files so that the completed sash/window assemblies fit snugly, then lightly glued them in place.

Then, installed the exterior window frames using a straight edge to line them up correctly and keep them square with each other. The self-stick pieces worked great. I set the frames in place with a tweezers and then lightly adjusted them to the correct position before applying pressure to stick 'em down permanently. On the next bunkhouse, I think I'll wait to push open the sashes until after the frames are installed. The frames go on with the wall laying face up and the windows open into the building. Here's the final result:

Here's my favorite one:

Thanks again for following along. Any input on the glass and the chalk process, please let me know. I haven't started on the castings yet, but I know that same chalk technique is used on them. Also, am I posting the pictures in the right size? You'll notice the first couple are smaller (I think 400 pix wide) and the later ones are larger (600pix). Which is standard or preffered on the forums?

By the way...I'm having a BLAST building this thing!!
Bill

Edited by - BillMichaels on 06/14/2010 4:04:34 PM

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: SierraWest - O scale Tool Shed (#302) Topic Next Topic: Wooden Structures in 1:48  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000